Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Really? The-one-who-will-not-be-named and Bullock are studs, as painful as that is to admit. They bring instant scoring to a stagnant team. The team is not going to be unbelievable next year, but they will be very good. Those two will provide the answer. Marshall - not so much. But remember, we had a mediocre PG for a few years and still did very well in the regular season with high seeds in the tourney.
    I get where you're coming from the one-whom-we-shall-not-speak-of and Bullock will most likely be solid additions and I did say that I think the heels will definitely be improved next year but I consider the "answer" meaning the additions that take them back to the final four...i just don't see that.

You reference us having a mediocre PG but we also had stacked teams with POY twice in J.J. and also had Sheldon down low and then recently we still had Scheyer (POY candidate) and Singler and Smith as well...im just not ready to crown these kids on the same level of that talent until I see them play. And Paulus wasn't the greatest PG ever but I still consider him above average..as one post said earlier i'd take him over drew.

Also, I may remind you that sometimes top recruits are busts...i remember a recent year we supposedly had the top recruit in a Mr. McRoberts and that didn't turn out exactly as planned either...not that you can compare both his and HB's abilities but its possible that HB could turn out much like Henson has this year. Will he be good? Most likely but to assume they'll be the answer with all the added pressure the outcome of this season will put on next year...not to mention the stacked team right down the road @ Duke...i dunno...thats a TALL order for ANY freshman

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

KM

I don't expect KM to be a bust. Nor do I expect him to solve their backcourt issues as a freshman either. I think he will help without a doubht but KM does not scare me at all as a Duke fan. The heels could have done alot better considering their considerable needs. So back the bus up Roy, there will be new recruits to run over!

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I don't expect KM to be a bust. Nor do I expect him to solve their backcourt issues as a freshman either. I think he will help without a doubht but KM does not scare me at all as a Duke fan. The heels could have done alot better considering their considerable needs. So back the bus up Roy, there will be new recruits to run over!
    Perhaps this year's team was just a blip and the Heels will return to their winning ways next year. But there's some question as to how well Roy's teams can play without the really good/fast PG like a Jacque Vaughan, Ray Felton, Ty Lawson type.

The whole style of play has been based on a fast tempo offense with the break and secondary break. Will Kendall Marshall be closer to a Bobby Frasor than a Ty Lawson? If so, can Roy put together a successful offensive attack? Perhaps, but he didn't show much adaptability this season.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    Check the posts on these guys. Hype, Hype, Hype. See the YouTube video of these guys - that is all that could be talked about on these guys. King can score and Czyz is a high flyer.

History is doomed to repeat it self. Do you understand why they use the word "doomed?"
    "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it," from Reason in Common Sense, the first volume of The Life of Reason, George Santayana, 1905

Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    - Winston Churchill

The essence of the quotes is that one CAN (and should) learn from the past.

Can anyone identify when Winston uttered the quote (paraphrased from Santayana) with which he has been identified?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ... --Jason "I think UNC will be ... flittering around the back side of the top 25" Evans
    That would make me VERY nervous if I were ranked #25!

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlueDevil View Post
    I get where you're coming from the one-whom-we-shall-not-speak-of and Bullock will most likely be solid additions and I did say that I think the heels will definitely be improved next year but I consider the "answer" meaning the additions that take them back to the final four...i just don't see that.

You reference us having a mediocre PG but we also had stacked teams with POY twice in J.J. and also had Sheldon down low and then recently we still had Scheyer (POY candidate) and Singler and Smith as well...im just not ready to crown these kids on the same level of that talent until I see them play. And Paulus wasn't the greatest PG ever but I still consider him above average..as one post said earlier i'd take him over drew.

Also, I may remind you that sometimes top recruits are busts...i remember a recent year we supposedly had the top recruit in a Mr. McRoberts and that didn't turn out exactly as planned either...not that you can compare both his and HB's abilities but its possible that HB could turn out much like Henson has this year. Will he be good? Most likely but to assume they'll be the answer with all the added pressure the outcome of this season will put on next year...not to mention the stacked team right down the road @ Duke...i dunno...thats a TALL order for ANY freshman
    Respectful arguments - my favorite.

Thanks for your response. I was referring to the-one-who-shall-not-be-named and Bullock taking Carolina back to the upper thresholds of the ACC. Unfortunately, if the-one-who-shall-not-be-named is the second coming of LeBron or Durant, as many on IC (and here before he committed to UNC) have suggested, then he and Bullock could very well bring UNC back to the FF next year. Stranger things have happened.

The difference between UNC next year and the Duke teams your referenced are talent. With the exception of Melo, freshman / sophomore stacked teams rarely go far. That's why I think UNC will be in the upper half of the ACC but not go incredible far next year. With regards to Paulus, if I give my honest opinion, I'll have a thousand comments about being a troll so I'll just say that between Paulus and Drew...ummm...I'll take the fifth.

Lastly, I fully agree with you - recruits can be busts. UNC has had them, Duke has definitely had them (definition: bust = someone who severely underperforms their value coming into college). That said, I just don't see the possibility of the-one-who-shall-not-be-named being a bust. That kid is so damn motivated and hungry. That's why we all wanted him.

UNC will be good, not great, but good next year. They will make the tournament. They will play us harder than this year. They may even make some noise in the tourney. But there is no chance they underperform like this year. I just don't see it. Roy may be an awful person this year, but he will light a fire under them over the summer. That is pretty much guaranteed. Unless, or course, an NBA team comes calling...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

This thread is totally wrong. Ol' Roy doesn't make mistakes recruiting as evidenced by his current team who were all hand picked by Mr. Daggumit himself.

Well said flyingdutchdevil...I think we're pretty much seeing eye to eye here...they'll be better but a lot has to do with you know who...just seems like you believe he'll be great and I'm hoping otherwise...hopefully things go my way...I always enjoy a respectful debate as well...Durant...LJ...man could this kid be that good?!?! I mean I saw Lebron up close on two occasions when he was in high school and you could tell he would be as good as he is today...but HB...he's good but I just don't see THAT good...we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlueDevil View Post
    Well said flyingdutchdevil...I think we're pretty much seeing eye to eye here...they'll be better but a lot has to do with you know who...just seems like you believe he'll be great and I'm hoping otherwise...hopefully things go my way...I always enjoy a respectful debate as well...Durant...LJ...man could this kid be that good?!?! I mean I saw Lebron up close on two occasions when he was in high school and you could tell he would be as good as he is today...but HB...he's good but I just don't see THAT good...we'll see
    Was kinda hopin for a lengthy response .

I really don't like you-know-who (btw, we need a nickname for this kid fast. What we're calling him sounds too Harry Potter-ish. Wow - sad that I just admitted having read the books), but there is no denying his talent. I don't think he'll be a LBJ or Durant, but a more productive Luol is likely (which would be an amazing freshman campaign).

Supporting this kid also makes my blood boil. Which is why this will be the last time I remotely say anything positive about him.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Its well worth noting that...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Perhaps this year's team was just a blip and the Heels will return to their winning ways next year. But there's some question as to how well Roy's teams can play without the really good/fast PG like a Jacque Vaughan, Ray Felton, Ty Lawson type.

The whole style of play has been based on a fast tempo offense with the break and secondary break. Will Kendall Marshall be closer to a Bobby Frasor than a Ty Lawson? If so, can Roy put together a successful offensive attack? Perhaps, but he didn't show much adaptability this season.

The Bobby Frasor run team of 2006 and the Rex Walters run team of 1993 at Kansas were both very good teams...not great, but very good, the latter making it to the final four. Also, what about the Kirk Hinrich teams? Was Kirk blazing fast or just spotty quick?

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetHurleyFan View Post
    The Bobby Frasor run team of 2006 and the Rex Walters run team of 1993 at Kansas were both very good teams...not great, but very good, the latter making it to the final four. Also, what about the Kirk Hinrich teams? Was Kirk blazing fast or just spotty quick?
    Hinrich...quick certainly, and fairly fast (faster than Walters and Frasor IMO)

Clearly, Roy knows how to utilize the really fast, talented PG's and does reasonably well with those a notch or two below that...I expect a decent year next year for the Heels (10-6 in conference?) but not up to championship level.

It will be interesting to see how Roy and the Carolina program come to grips with the results of the 2009-10 season.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetHurleyFan View Post
    Didn't they call Hinrich "zoom, zoom" at Kansas?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Didn't they call Hinrich "zoom, zoom" at Kansas?
    I think that was because Hinrich looked freakishly like the kid in the Mazda "Zoom Zoom" ads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfyTO8xLjvQ