Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kendall Marshall McD thread on Hoya board

This Hoya thread seems to suggest that Kendall may not be the point guard savior that Carolina is seeking next year. The Carolina recession may improve but continue thru next year. A few highlights and the link below...

He's got great size for the position, he's left-handed and he can pass his behind off. Those are his positives, along with his basketball IQ.

But he's horribly slow, doesn't shoot that well from the perimeter, doesn't blow by people off the dribble and just isn't a great player because great players at the high school level, no matter how good the league, get their teams more wins than he's gotten his team this season.

Right now, I'd take Starks, Cook and Ross over Marshall and keep it moving. How's it going to look, him making the mickey d's team and not first team all-met? It seems as if there's more people than just on this board who thinks he's not the player he's made out to be nationally.

And yes, I've seen him play. Extensively.
    Marshall is the perfect example of an early bloomer that was hyped as early as middle school as the next big thing, but others have caught up to him physically, and many people - not just on this board - are seeing that he's a good player, but nothing special.

Not bashing the kid at all, but it's almost funny to me that he can be regarded as one of the top players in the country, when he's not even the best player at his position in the area.

And yes, I've seen him play ... A LOT.
    http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/index...y&thread=21452

Quote Originally Posted by jhole View Post
    This Hoya thread seems to suggest that Kendall may not be the point guard savior that Carolina is seeking next year. The Carolina recession may improve but continue thru next year. A few highlights and the link below...

The comment about his lack of speed is most telling if true. We all know that in order for Ol Roy's offense to click it requires a lightning fast PG... I hope he is a slow as molasses in the winter!

Quote Originally Posted by jhole View Post

I've seen him play, granted only once and on tv, but he was drastically outplayed by Myke Kabongo (sp?). I don't remember him making a jumpshot and he looks slow even against high school players. Even though the teams were top teams in the country I would think a McD's would dominate.

http://www.masslive.com/hoophallclas...010/mon_1.html

link to that games box score

He's not the answer from what I've seen. Right now, maybe he makes the third or fourth All-Met team (if they consider his reputation). This doesn't make him a bad player (he is a great high school player)...but I do not expect that he will be all that good in the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    He's not the answer from what I've seen. Right now, maybe he makes the third or fourth All-Met team (if they consider his reputation). This doesn't make him a bad player (he is a great high school player)...but I do not expect that he will be all that good in the ACC.
    How does Marshall compare to Duke signee Tyler Thornton?

Well head to head match ups Ty holds the lead in wins and also I heard Ty usally shuts him down consistantly

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    The comment about his lack of speed is most telling if true. We all know that in order for Ol Roy's offense to click it requires a lightning fast PG.
    Well, I'm sure Roy will adjust his offense to the team he has. Just look at this . . . uh . . . well, nevermind.

How does he compare to Ed Cota? Skillwise, not attitudewise.

unc often recruits really good kids, and I don't tend to root against them. There are many notorius exceptions to this rule.

I am starting to feel bad for Marshall. The way this season is ending, ol' roy and the tar heel "faithful" will be throwing the current team in the emotional trash heap and pinning all of their hopes on the incoming freshmen. It doesn't sound like Marshall is going to be able to run the the offense at full-tilt from the get-go, like Lawson and Felton did.

The pressure on Marshall may ramp up something fierce. It will be interesting to see how ol' roy handles the pg "competition" and if he can preserve Drew II's psyche. If neither can push the ball as fast as roy's offense requires, it could be a fun year next year.

I don't want to see Marshall or Drew suffer, but I sure do watchin' ol' roy suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    unc often recruits really good kids, and I don't tend to root against them. There are many notorius exceptions to this rule.

I am starting to feel bad for Marshall. The way this season is ending, ol' roy and the tar heel "faithful" will be throwing the current team in the emotional trash heap and pinning all of their hopes on the incoming freshmen. It doesn't sound like Marshall is going to be able to run the the offense at full-tilt from the get-go, like Lawson and Felton did.

The pressure on Marshall may ramp up something fierce. It will be interesting to see how ol' roy handles the pg "competition" and if he can preserve Drew II's psyche. If neither can push the ball as fast as roy's offense requires, it could be a fun year next year.

I don't want to see Marshall or Drew suffer, but I sure do watchin' ol' roy suffer.

Maybe I am just mean spirited, but I enjoy when anyone associated with puke blue suffers. I hate that team. I probably would not hate them so much except every heel fan I know takes the time to call me following every loss. So when they struggle it is sweet vindication. I hope they stink for the next 100 years. I don't wish anything physically bad on any of the players mind you, but 15 losses a season is alright with me.

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    How does he compare to Ed Cota? Skillwise, not attitudewise.
    Are you saying he's a table-setter rather than a road-runner? Or something like that...

A particularly telling comment on Marshall that illustrates a flaw in Roy's recruiting approach:

Marshall is the perfect example of an early bloomer that was hyped as early as middle school as the next big thing, but others have caught up to him physically, and many people - not just on this board - are seeing that he's a good player, but nothing special
    Marshall committed in September of his junior year; at the time, he was very highly ranked in the class of 2010. But with additional experience and physical maturity, others have passed him by.

Roy went for the early commit, and may end up with something less than he thought.

Say what you want about Kendall Marshall.

He may not be the quickest player on the planet but he passes the ball ahead on the break.

Last I heard, a pass is quicker than two feet...

Saying that, I am not sure he is good enough to play ahead of Drew

Is it me...

...or is the problem with Drew (and for that matter, Strickland too) less one of pure speed or the ability to play fast? Seems to me that at times, both seem to have more than sufficient speed but they dont utilize it appropriately or frankly dont control there speed. Wondering if Drew, as junior could actually turn into a pretty good point guard. this Carolina fan thinks the lack of shooters this year was a much a problem as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Are you saying he's a table-setter rather than a road-runner? Or something like that...
    Sometimes running a great break is not just about speed, but as you point out, being a good table setter within the break. Cota was not all that fast, but ran as good a break at Carolina as anyone other than maybe Felton or Lawson.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetHurleyFan View Post
    ...or is the problem with Drew (and for that matter, Strickland too) less one of pure speed or the ability to play fast? Seems to me that at times, both seem to have more than sufficient speed but they dont utilize it appropriately or frankly dont control there speed. Wondering if Drew, as junior could actually turn into a pretty good point guard. this Carolina fan thinks the lack of shooters this year was a much a problem as anything else.
    It would be a shame for roy to shortchange Drew II because of what happened this season. I agree that Drew II could become a very good ACC point guard.

I hope he gets fed up with ol' roy and being recruited over and becomes a very good Conference USA point guard!

It would be a shame for roy to shortchange Drew II because of what happened this season. I agree that Drew II could become a very good ACC point guard.

I hope he gets fed up with ol' roy and being recruited over and becomes a very good Conference USA point guard!
    I don't think he can. He lacks that killer instinct. Point guards are supposed to make their teams better Drew does not. He is a back up ACC point guard at best. He just can not due enough to lift his team. He maybe a more gifted athlete than Paulus, but I would take Paulus every time over Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetHurleyFan View Post
    Sometimes running a great break is not just about speed, but as you point out, being a good table setter within the break. Cota was not all that fast, but ran as good a break at Carolina as anyone other than maybe Felton or Lawson.
    This is what I was asking, yes. If Marshall compares favorably to Cota, I'd certainly be happy with that... provided the supporting cast is comparable to what Cota had for two years. That, of course, remains to be seen.

Speaking of one of Cota's running mates (no need to bump the thread), Antawn is 1-0 as a starter. Good test tonight at Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    This is what I was asking, yes. If Marshall compares favorably to Cota, I'd certainly be happy with that... provided the supporting cast is comparable to what Cota had for two years. That, of course, remains to be seen.

Speaking of one of Cota's running mates (no need to bump the thread), Antawn is 1-0 as a starter. Good test tonight at Boston.
    Cota is the 4th all time assist man in the NCAA. And I dont think he could jump more than 3 inches. He had the ball on a string though.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Cota is the 4th all time assist man in the NCAA. And I dont think he could jump more than 3 inches. He had the ball on a string though.
    He's three all time behind Corchian (2) and Hurley (1). The ACC has the top three and four of the top five (Blake).