Clinching the acc regular season

Duke is in position to win the ACC regular season with 2 more wins in its last 3 ACC games but one of those wins must be against Maryland.

Assuming Maryland does not lose to another ACC opponent, if they were to beat Duke then the two teams would share the regular season crown.

We still have some work to do.

Not so fast on the MD bandwagon

MD has 2 very tough games between now and when we meet. Clemson tomorrow, who beat them just a few weeks ago, and then AT VPI.

But more importantly we need to just worry about taking care of our own business.

Agree that Duke needs to keep taking care of business . . . there's more than just an ACC regular season crown at stake . . . but, one victory against MD is all that's needed to win that crown.

Assuming Md beats us and both teams otherwise win out, we would almost certainly still get the #1 seed in the ACC Tournament.

Ignoring head-to-head, Md's losses are Wake (8-5) and Clemson (7-5). Ours are GIT (6-7) and NCSU (sucks). If EITHER Wake OR Clemson finish ahead of GIT, we are the #1 seed.

Wake has split with GIT and Clemson has beaten GIT with one game remaining @Clemson. I won't bother running tiebreaker scenarios beyond this.

I'm not "assuming" any actual outcomes here mind you, just presenting a what-if. Also, I think the conference uses the ladder system only to determine seeding in the tournament, not to award the regular-season "championship". If the head-to-head is a split I'm pretty sure the ACC calls it a day and names the tied teams co-champions. (Evidence: 2001. Unc was the #1 seed but was co-regular-season champion with us.)

top seed/regular season title

Because of tiebreakers, Duke will clinch the No. 1 seed in the ACC Tournament with a victory at Maryland -- no matter what happens in any other game.

Duke would have 12 ACC wins and the only teams that could equal that are either Maryland or Virginia Tech (they can't both do it because they play each other ... but one of them could win out). But Duke wins the tiebreaker with either (this is assuming Duke wins at College Park).

Actually, only three teams still have a mathematical chance to claim the No. 1 seed (Wake could still tie Duke for first, but the Deacs lose the tiebreaker).

For Virginia Tech -- it's simple ... they have to win out, while Duke loses out. They would be 12-4 and Duke would be 11-5. But one Duke win or one VPI loss and they're out of it.

For Maryland, they must beat Duke next week. Even that won't guarantee it. But that gets them even in the loss column and it would come down to how they do in their other three ACC closing games: Clemson, at VPI and at Virginia vs. how Duke does at Virginia and UNC at home.

If they were to tie at 12-4 or 13-3, we'd have to wait and see how the rest of the standings play out -- but it looks like Duke would have the edge (since Duke is 1-0 vs. VPI, Wake, FSU and 2-0 vs. Clemson -- the teams most likely to finish third-fourth-fifth; Maryland has losses to Wake and Clemson).

Now, all in all, I'd say Duke is pretty close to clinching the top seed in the tourney ... but that's not the same as winning the regular season title. Tiebreakers only come into play to determine seeding -- officially, the ACC does not use tiebreakers to determine championships. So if Maryland (or Virginia Tech or even Wake manages a tie, they would share the regular season title -- funny, Wake can still win a share of the regular season title, but can't win the No. 1 seed).

It will be interesting to revisit this topic after the weekend's games, leading into the Duke at Maryland game. If they are tied or Duke has a mere one-game lead at that point, then it's a pivotal game. But if Duke's lead is two games (and I think it might be at that point), then the worst that can happen would be to delay the championship clinching game until Saturday when UNC visits Cameron.

I could live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I'm not "assuming" any actual outcomes here mind you, just presenting a what-if. Also, I think the conference uses the ladder system only to determine seeding in the tournament, not to award the regular-season "championship". If the head-to-head is a split I'm pretty sure the ACC calls it a day and names the tied teams co-champions. (Evidence: 2001. Unc was the #1 seed but was co-regular-season champion with us.)
    I don't even think they look at head-to-head. A tie is a tie.

regular season tie

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I don't even think they look at head-to-head. A tie is a tie.
    Absolutely -- it's football, but Duke's 1989 ACC co-championship with Virginia (despite losing to Virginia) is proof.

Remember, "You've got to beat the champ to be the champ"?

ACC Seeding Projections

In case you care: http://www.accseeds.info/2010/

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Nice site. So UNC still has a mathematical chance to be the 6th seed in the ACC Tournament? Are you sure that isn't a bug in your programming?

I would think VT will beat Md Saturday, if not they'll have to have a very good ACC tourney to get an at-large bid since Seth plays a patty-cake schedule.