Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PTI

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

PTI

Wilbon and Kornheiser ribbed Coach K on PTI today for the conch shell confiscation last night even though K's request was within the rules. No mention, however, of Ol' Roy and the Presbyterian fan. Oh well, I guess it's just another day in Bristol.

Yeah, I just saw that, too. The conch was really loud, I heard it over the speaker phone that was near the tv in our office, since I was stuck at home with a dead satellite. I asked if that was an air horn at the time. The idiot refs could have acted a bit more quickly, you can bet they would have inside Cameron.

Really though, watching PTI every day must be like serving a sentence. I catch it while traveling sometimes and it never fails to unimpress. I think their writers are all dopes. Willie and Tone-stupid are getting a little long in the tooth for the gig anyway.

Additionally

Wilbon seems to feel the need to pander to their perceived demographic by making the occasional misogynistic comment or letting us all know just how "manly" he is.

Yeah.. apparently it's a real shame.. and quite worthy of talk when an opposing coach expects fans to you know.. follow the rules.

That shell was loud on TV.. I can't imagine how loud it must have been at the actual game. I'm sure K worried the whole flight back to Durham about what Kornheiser would think.

The question was if it was fair or foul and they voiced their opinion on the topic. Tony was making a joke out of it and Mike thought it wasn't the right thing to do. I don't see the problem there. They made very valid points.

As I understood them, they believe and said that blowing the shell was not against the rules, and K's request should not have been honored. Does anyone here know for certain it it was against the rules?

I saw this as well. When I saw the word "conch" on the list of subjects I knew a ribbing was coming. There was a funny exchange between the two about it that went something like this:

Wilbon- "Miami should tell him he doesn't own the gym and should be able to use the conch"

Korn- Tell who? Coach K that he doesn't own the gym? Coach K owns every gym.

Thought that was funny

sorry...

love Tony and Wilbon, can't believe I missed Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Really though, watching PTI every day must be like serving a sentence.
    A sentence of awesomeness. I watch that show everyday when I get home. I tend to agree with Kornheiser most of the time and think Wilbon is a pretty average analyst, but I do enjoy the rapport between the two.

I guess what really draws me to it is the format -- they cover quite a few topics in a short span, have some fun with it, and spend decent amounts of time on the ~5 or so hottest topics of the day. Also, I'm on the west coast and they don't delay it (so its on at 2:30pm) so I'm always watching on DVR and can easily skip whichever segments I don't like.

Honestly, I thought it was a little weak for K to ask for the conch to be removed. I didn't hear it through the TV and maybe it was obnoxiously loud but it seemed a little silly when I was watching the game.

As for the rules, I would imagine that the rule is something to the effect that you're not allowed to use any implement to artificially make loud sounds and would guess that a conch shell fits that description. So from that perspective K had grounds to make his request but still I would rather the Duke block it out and make their free throws anyway.

Why is this such a big deal? It's just a conch. The kid stayed (unlike in the UNC game). No one's feelings got hurt. Obviously K just thought it was inappropriate and shouldn't be there.

Wink Sun-Burned, Salt-Water Floridians

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Honestly, I thought it was a little weak for K to ask for the conch to be removed. I didn't hear it through the TV and maybe it was obnoxiously loud but it seemed a little silly when I was watching the game.

You ain't from Florida, are you? If he had really asked for all the "Conchs" to be removed, they would have had to clear out the joint, except for the Miami students from NY and NJ, some Snowbirds, and a few Duke fans.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Wilbon seems to feel the need to pander to their perceived demographic by making the occasional misogynistic comment or letting us all know just how "manly" he is.
    The other day Tony was talking about the athleticism of the male figure skaters. Wilbon went on and on about how he would never watch any man in any athletic event who wore sequins or feathers. The underlying tone was incredibly homophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    The other day Tony was talking about the athleticism of the male figure skaters. Wilbon went on and on about how he would never watch any man in any athletic event who wore sequins or feathers. The underlying tone was incredibly homophobic.
    I wouldn't watch figure skating either and for non-sexual reasons. I think it is boring. Now put some pads on them and give them a stick and you might have something...

Word of advice: don't take anything Wilbon an Kornheiser say on PTI seriously, its strictly entertainment. Wilbon's macho attitude is more of a self effacing joke that he's actually a frumpy news reporter and desk jockey. If he thinks male figure skating is too fruity for his taste, thats fine, so do I. It has nothing to do with my opinion or relationship with gay people.

NCAA rule on noisemakers at basketball games

Here's a link to the FAQ which describes the rule. Scroll to the second page:

Hope this works. It's an html cache of a PDF file.

Given the fact that there have been two games this week where items were thrown on the floor, I'd be a little concerned about a conch shell out there. But if he was having it confiscated because of the noise, yeah that's pretty weak. Not Royd weak, but a little weak nonetheless.

The conch shell sounded like the horn the scorer sounds to signal substitution. It was similar to confiscating a whistle. They are devices which can disrupt games.

PTI is the best show on ESPN. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    PTI is the best show on ESPN. PERIOD.

PTI is the WORST show on ESPN. PERIOD.