Honoring Dr. Art Chandler

As many of us know, this is Dr. Chandler's final year as the voice of Cameron. In an earlier article published in GoDuke The Magazine Weekly's online publication, Duke indicated that there would be a ceremony honoring Dr. Chandler during a game. There are three games left:

VPI&SU
    Tulsa
    Our friends down the road....

Tulsa seems unlikely and honoring Dr. Chandler on Senior Day (when Michael Buffer is rumored to be in Cameron to conduct more nonsense live), seems to be a bit much, especially with Buffer in town.

Does anyone know when this ceremony is and what the details are?

I still think that the best was to honor Dr. Chandler is with a banner, as follows:

Dr. Art Chandler

[microphone image]

"The Voice of Cameron" or "Here Comes Duke"

1970-2010

A letter writing campaign to Kevin White and the basketball office might be helpful in this case and I would love to see him in the rafters.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    As many of us know, this is Dr. Chandler's final year as the voice of Cameron. In an earlier article published in GoDuke The Magazine Weekly's online publication, Duke indicated that there would be a ceremony honoring Dr. Chandler during a game. There are three games left:

VPI&SU
    Tulsa

Tulsa seems unlikely and honoring Dr. Chandler on Senior Day (when Michael Buffer is rumored to be in Cameron to conduct more nonsense live), seems to be a bit much, especially with Buffer in town.

I still think that the best was to honor Dr. Chandler is with a banner, as follows:

Dr. Art Chandler

[microphone image]

1970-2010

A letter writing campaign to Kevin White and the basketball office might be helpful in this case and I would love to see him in the rafters.
    I would love to see Art commorated in the rafters as well. He is a great Duke fan and a wonderful friend. He deserves recognition for wonderful service for 40 years.

Another person that deserves some more recognition is the late Max Crowder. He was the long time trainer for the BB team with a tenure that ran from Vic Bubas to K - 1962 - 1992. Max died way too soon at age 62.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post

VPI&SU
    Tulsa

Dr. Art Chandler

[microphone image]

1970-2010

hmmm... where have i seen this before?

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ad.php?t=18439

ahh, yes.

anyway, i think more than just a sign with a cliche subtitle is in order. hopefully, they'll cut the buffer 'nonsense' for one game and let him do what he does best. word is bond

lives near a number of big white buildings
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I would love to see Art commorated in the rafters as well. He is a great Duke fan and a wonderful friend. He deserves recognition for wonderful service for 40 years.

Another person that deserves some more recognition is the late Max Crowder. He was the long time trainer for the BB team with a tenure that ran from Vic Bubas to K - 1962 - 1992. Max died way too soon at age 62.
    Has Max been recognized in any ongoing way at present? He definitely deserves appropriate commemoration for his contribution to Duke basketball.

Dr Chandler was honored at halftime last night. There was a video message from Coach K and a Duke rocking chair was presented to him. His family was with him at mid court and the video also showed at plaque that will be placed near his seat at the scorer's table. His voice will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by markbdevil View Post
    Dr Chandler was honored at halftime last night. There was a video message from Coach K and a Duke rocking chair was presented to him. His family was with him at mid court and the video also showed at plaque that will be placed near his seat at the scorer's table. His voice will be missed.
    Dr. Chandler has made such a contribution to the atmosphere in Cameron. I heard several around me comment that they had never heard anyone else do the announcing. There is no comparison between a great live human voice and a loud recording.

I wish they would have said they were doing this right when the clock hit zero, I went out to grab snacks maybe 30 seconds or so into halftime and had no idea this was going to happen, would've liked to have seen it...

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    There is no comparison between a great live human voice and a loud recording.
    Oh lord yes. The Buffer recording continues to absolutely kill the atmosphere in Cameron.
    Dr. Chandler= The Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Dr. Chandler has made such a contribution to the atmosphere in Cameron. I heard several around me comment that they had never heard anyone else do the announcing. There is no comparison between a great live human voice and a loud recording.
    Well, except that there isn't really an effective difference between a recorded voice over a loudspeaker and a live voice. Except that the live voice can make mistakes (not saying Dr. Chandler did or does, just saying there is no audible difference unless the recording was done poorly, and it wasn't).

That said, can we get over this? We've already learned that the players love it. Presumably that means recruits do too. This is the kind if little thing that might sway a recruit over. Everyone wants to see their name in lights (and hear it shouted in overly dramatic voices). Even if you don't like it (I certainly don't care for it myself), it takes all of maybe 2 minutes. Is it that big of a deal? Can we not just move on?

By all means. Please excuse me for raining on the parade.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    By all means. Please excuse me for raining on the parade.
    Sorry, my post definitely took on a more aggressive tone than it needed to. There's just been so much griping about the intros on this board, and its such a small part of the game experience.

Now if they start calling the actual game in a voice like that, we have problems...having to suffer through that at whenever I see State play is bad enough. Of course...the fans don't help much, but could they have possibly done more to ruin the atmosphere for basketball games at the RBC?

Also, does anyone know who Duke is looking at to fill these huge shoes? I think someone said the guy they had in the preseason was auditioning, and I didn't particularly care for him from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Sorry, my post definitely took on a more aggressive tone than it needed to. There's just been so much griping about the intros on this board, and its such a small part of the game experience.

Now if they start calling the actual game in a voice like that, we have problems...having to suffer through that at whenever I see State play is bad enough. Of course...the fans don't help much, but could they have possibly done more to ruin the atmosphere for basketball games at the RBC?

Also, does anyone know who Duke is looking at to fill these huge shoes? I think someone said the guy they had in the preseason was auditioning, and I didn't particularly care for him from what I remember.
    I think they will go with the guy who started doing the PA at Wallace Wade last season. Don't be surprised to hear a distinctly "non Dr. Chandler" sound in the future. That's just the way it is folks.

I would like to see him honored by being inducted into the Duke Sports Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Well, except that there isn't really an effective difference between a recorded voice over a loudspeaker and a live voice. Except that the live voice can make mistakes (not saying Dr. Chandler did or does, just saying there is no audible difference unless the recording was done poorly, and it wasn't).

That said, can we get over this? We've already learned that the players love it. Presumably that means recruits do too. This is the kind if little thing that might sway a recruit over. Everyone wants to see their name in lights (and hear it shouted in overly dramatic voices). Even if you don't like it (I certainly don't care for it myself), it takes all of maybe 2 minutes. Is it that big of a deal? Can we not just move on?
    I've gotten used to the Buffer introductions and don't mind them anymore.

Where do I audition for Dr. Chandler's job? Maybe I should talk with Kevin White about it...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com