Small nit on the "Duke Shells Terps" write-up

Hi,

I know it is only a small thing and I make mistakes all the time. So, I understand one makes mistakes and overall I like what was written.

The write-up has this statement, " With the win, Duke seizes control of the conference race. Unlike everyone else, they can control their destiny." Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of destiny, but if it is one's destiny I don't think one can control it. One can control a lot of things, but not destiny. If this is too out of bounds, please feel free to delete. It is one of those pet peeves that really has nothing to do with Duke basketball.

GO DUKE!

This is just a phrase thrown around a lot to mean that a team doesn't need any other teams to lose to win the conference/division/pennant.

Since Duke has only two losses, and all other teams have at least three losses, Duke is guaranteed to win the conference if they win the remaining 5 games. Thus, we "control our own destiny" with respect to winning the conference.

On the other hand, Wake Forest, for example, can not win the conference unless Duke loses a game, and thus, no matter what they do, it's possible they don't win the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by III View Post
    This is just a phrase thrown around a lot to mean that a team doesn't need any other teams to lose to win the conference/division/pennant.

Since Duke has only two losses, and all other teams have at least three losses, Duke is guaranteed to win the conference if they win the remaining 5 games. Thus, we "control our own destiny" with respect to winning the conference.

On the other hand, Wake Forest, for example, can not win the conference unless Duke loses a game, and thus, no matter what they do, it's possible they don't win the conference.
    For the regular season, VT controls their own destiny too. If they win out, they would finish with three losses. One of their wins would come against Duke, putting the two teams in a tie for first place. Does the ACC use head-to-head records for tie-breakers? I'm not sure, but if so, then VT (1-0 against Duke) would win the tie and get seeded first in the ACC tournament.

Technically everyone controls their own destiny regarding the actual ACC championship though, since it is given to the winner of the tournament. Any team can get it, so long as they keep winning.

Interesting...

Hi,

I guess I thought there was no way to actually control destiny. If one could control it, it wouldn't be destiny. However, it might be one of those things said that really shouldn't be taken as literally as I have.

Thanks.

Go Duke!

A nit to pick with your nitpick

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

I guess I thought there was no way to actually control destiny. If one could control it, it wouldn't be destiny. However, it might be one of those things said that really shouldn't be taken as literally as I have.

Thanks.

Go Duke!
    Basically, your nit to pick is with the commonly-used phrase - not the writeup. Your are correct in that destiny cannot be controlled. But "controlling your own destiny" is a pretty commonly used terminology.

hee hee

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Basically, your nit to pick is with the commonly-used phrase - not the writeup. Your are correct in that destiny cannot be controlled. But "controlling your own destiny" is a pretty commonly used terminology.
    Yes, that would be it. I wrote in the original post that the writeup itself was good.

GO DUKE!

Coincidentally, I had a conversation with my 10 and 7 year old kids today about destiny as a philosophical question -- talk about a conversation going round and round in circles! I won't make that mistake again for a few years, at least!

Anyway, according to Dictionary.com at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/destiny?r=65, destiny can mean "the predetermined, usually inevitable or irresistible, course of events," but it can also mean "the power or agency that determines the course of events." So, if we continue to win all of our games then Duke has the power to determine the course of events. I like the way that sounds!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016