Thread: No props again

No props again

I know this is referenced in the handy pocket reference guide but I still feel this bears mentioning.

I pick up my Sunday morning Raleigh N&O and lo and behold the headline of the sports section is about the battle for last place in the ACC that took place in the Dean Dome yesterday. The battle for 1st place in the ACC between two rivals of the past decade which took place in Cameron is of course a sidebar. Never mind the fact that this was also a K's 1000th game. I was seriously kind of expecting there to possibly be some kind of special section in the paper commemorating this milestone of a local legendary coach considered by many one of the best of all time. But of course no. Am I off base here? Doesn't one think if a certain coach in Chapel Hill was coaching his 1000 game it would result in a celebratory section of a news paper?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Doesn't one think if a certain coach in Chapel Hill was coaching his 1000 game it would result in a celebratory section of a news paper?
    Why would they want to celebrate another K win, when the real story is the holes got a win, period.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Pretty much the same on the local CBS affiliate that broadcast the Duke-MD game.
    http://www.wral.com/
    The long reach of the UNC J-school propaganda arm...

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    Pretty much the same on the local CBS affiliate that broadcast the Duke-MD game.
    http://www.wral.com/
    The long reach of the UNC J-school propaganda arm...
    I kind of disagree here. Both games have equal placement on the wral site. I just found the page layout of the N&O interesting and disappointing.

The lack of reference to K's milestone in the n&o and the wral site does raise an eyebrow though. The n&o does reference the milestone in the game write-up, but doesn't have a separate article like Ellington and Lawson's jersey honors do.

My first job after Duke was working for the local newspaper in Greensboro, NC. I worked in a couple different departments over the years (never on the news side) but it's widely known that most of the sports journalists around these parts are UNC homers. I mean...they do have the only journalism school in the area (or at least the only one I have ever heard of, so, it must be the only decent one). So...there's THAT, for starters.

There's also the fact that UNC is the state school and it is just simply more popular than Duke (or pretty much any other school). I worked in the sales & marketing areas of the paper for several years and, much to my chagrin, I had to accept the simple fact that the local yokels buy more papers when there is a story about Kerlina on the front page of the sports section than when it's about Duke. I hate it, and it sucks, but it's just the way the world works. I haven't seen today's N&O but here in Greensboro, I have to give them props for putting Duke's story above the one about the forlorn sheep from the Dump on the Hump.

the N&O is a dinosaur, gasping it's dying breath....run by holes, edited by holes....

why would you think they would give duke any props? EVER???

just enjoy the knowledge that the sports dept there is in misery...

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I know this is referenced in the handy pocket reference guide but I still feel this bears mentioning.

I pick up my Sunday morning Raleigh N&O and lo and behold the headline of the sports section is about the battle for last place in the ACC that took place in the Dean Dome yesterday. The battle for 1st place in the ACC between two rivals of the past decade which took place in Cameron is of course a sidebar. Never mind the fact that this was also a K's 1000th game. I was seriously kind of expecting there to possibly be some kind of special section in the paper commemorating this milestone of a local legendary coach considered by many one of the best of all time. But of course no. Am I off base here? Doesn't one think if a certain coach in Chapel Hill was coaching his 1000 game it would result in a celebratory section of a news paper?

So wait... you're upset that the RALEIGH newspaper gave a better position to the story regarding UNC and NC State playing one another yesterday? You do understand that the MAJORITY of people who live in the Triangle are State and UNC fans, right? You get that Duke fans are a pretty small minority, right? So when the two large state schools play one another, regardless of record, is it really that surprising that its the lead story?

Yes... the coverage would have been different if it had been a UNC coach's 1000th game. Hell, on the news last night they were showing highlights of the UNC alumni decade games or whatever they did out there yesterday?

a. Why does this surprise you?
    b. Why let it bother you?
    WWJDD?

Demographic Reality 101. An elective unless you live in North Carolina. Then it's a required course for graduation.

In fairness, it should be pointed out the N&O did have its main article on the game on the front page of the Sports Section. They had three color photos, their top columnist devoted his thoughts on the game and there was a third article on Pete Gaudet returning to Cameron. In fact Duke had one entire page of the Sports Section.

Maybe, I'm just innured to this. But when the state's two flagship public universities, both located with 25 miles of the state capital, play a basketball game, the state capital's daily newspaper is going to give it lots of coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    So wait... you're upset that the RALEIGH newspaper gave a better position to the story regarding UNC and NC State playing one another yesterday? You do understand that the MAJORITY of people who live in the Triangle are State and UNC fans, right? You get that Duke fans are a pretty small minority, right? So when the two large state schools play one another, regardless of record, is it really that surprising that its the lead story?

Yes... the coverage would have been different if it had been a UNC coach's 1000th game. Hell, on the news last night they were showing highlights of the UNC alumni decade games or whatever they did out there yesterday?

a. Why does this surprise you?
    b. Why let it bother you?
    Ok upset is putting it strong. No where did I imply I was upset. I only bring this up because it was K's 1000th game. I know the whining that UNC gets more coverage is a tired subject. But the coaching legend got little reference. I feel that warrants some discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Maybe, I'm just innured to this. But when the state's two flagship public universities, both located with 25 miles of the state capital, play a basketball game, the state capital's daily newspaper is going to give it lots of coverage.
    Great point, can't really argue with that. Let's just see what the paper looks like the day after State plays Duke the same day UNC plays a conference game, just for kicks.

i agree that the N&O is sometimes biased, but this thread is ridiculous. the N&O is a raleigh paper, and this was a game between 1) the team that's most local to it and 2) two local teams as opposed to just one. it makes perfect sense for the coverage to be just as it was

also, correct me if i'm wrong, but my impression has always been that a much greater portion of people in chapel hill subscribe to the N&O than do Durham residents, who have a local paper in the Herald Sun (the Chapel Hill News doesn't count as a newspaper)

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Yes, it is probably silly for us to expect the Spews and Disturber to have given Duke any more than they did today. And the paranoid among us are forgetting that the N&O actually DID have a GREAT Duke basketball article today-- on Pete Gaudet's return to Duke.

They got a reference to 95 being Duke's losingest season ever, mentioned that Gaudet had filed a lawsuit which had resulted in bitter feelings (while neglecting to mention the suit was against the NCAA, not Duke), and even managed to throw in a Coach K back-and-exhaustion reference. And, in a nod to internet bulletin boards everywhere, they EVEN mentioned in passing that Duke had those losses removed from Coach K's record (yet somehow forgot to mention that it had the wins removed as well-- surely an oversight).

And all this on a day when 70 years of Duke basketball luminaries were in town (with all the stories THAT might have given them) to celebrate Coach K's 1000th game, AND when Duke took first place in the conference.

Yeah, you'd have to be paranoid to think UNC having the state's only J-school affects sports coverage in North Carolina.

If it makes you feel any better, the author of the Pete Gaudet story is a alumnus of Notre Dame. The N&O's previous Duke beat-writer was a graduate of UCLA. The N&O pulls in writers from all over the country.

Yes, I know a couple of UNC J-school grads who have a clear bias. But I know a lot more who are thoroughly professional. A lot more.

"just enjoy the knowledge that the sports dept there is in misery... "

Nope. Don't enjoy it at all. Real people, with real families and real lives. What's happening to them and people all over the newspaper industry is a darn shame. The people responsible walk away with golden parachutes, while the little people get stomped. I can't imagine why anyone would take pleasure in that.

I

Nope. Don't enjoy it at all. Real people, with real families and real lives. What's happening to them and people all over the newspaper industry is a darn shame. The people responsible walk away with golden parachutes, while the little people get stomped. I can't imagine why anyone would take pleasure in that.

i suppose i should have been more clear about my admonition. I wasn't saying that we should "enjoy the knowledge...." about the newspapers misfortunes, i was referring to the Tar HeelS in the sports dept being miserable....and i'm sure they are..

I'm not sure what YOU mean about the "people responsible" walking away with golden parachutes....the newspaper business is a dying dinosaur. the internet is killing that business model. as with other businesses, (music business exp there will be a new model to rise from the ashes...

i feel badly for folks losing thier jobs, but i don't feel sorry for Tar Heels about their blind allegiance ...

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    If it makes you feel any better, the author of the Pete Gaudet story is a alumnus of Notre Dame. The N&O's previous Duke beat-writer was a graduate of UCLA. The N&O pulls in writers from all over the country.

Yes, I know a couple of UNC J-school grads who have a clear bias. But I know a lot more who are thoroughly professional. A lot more.

I'm sure it's clear to you, but just to make it clear to others, I never expressed the sentiment you quoted to start the bottom half of your post. I have my problems with journalists at times, and the current state of national journalism strikes me as abysmal, but I certainly don't take joy in the demise of newspapers or in people losing their jobs.

Regarding the article being written by someone from Notre Dame. I was addressing the comments that maybe the initial poster was being paranoid.

The presence of said article on what should have been a day to celebrate Coach K's achievements, not his nadir, has an odor to it. And the coverage of Duke in the local media frequently has an odor to it as well. You might recall a certain story involving Art Chansky and the planting of bulletin board material in the Durham paper at the behest of that paragon of class, Dean Smith.

I'm a paranoid person, I admit that. But one doesn't have to be paranoid to see that Duke is facing an uphill battle at times with the local press. A certain J-school seems an obvious cause, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of other factors were involved.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I'm sure it's clear to you, but just to make it clear to others, I never expressed the sentiment you quoted to start the bottom half of your post. I have my problems with journalists at times, and the current state of national journalism strikes me as abysmal, but I certainly don't take joy in the demise of newspapers or in people losing their jobs.

Regarding the article being written by someone from Notre Dame. I was addressing the comments that maybe the initial poster was being paranoid.

The presence of said article on what should have been a day to celebrate Coach K's achievements, not his nadir, has an odor to it. And the coverage of Duke in the local media frequently has an odor to it as well. You might recall a certain story involving Art Chansky and the planting of bulletin board material in the Durham paper at the behest of that paragon of class, Dean Smith.

I'm a paranoid person, I admit that. But one doesn't have to be paranoid to see that Duke is facing an uphill battle at times with the local press. A certain J-school seems an obvious cause, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of other factors were involved.
    Duke is fighting a losing battle with the local press. The Blue Devils will NEVER get the favor that UNC does in state. It's just not going tot happen. Might as well not stress yourself out worrying about it. Best you can do is push the sports information department to be as professional and thorough as it can, so that the media outlets look foolish by trying to put you down. Trying to get UNC graduates to treat chapel hill and Duke equitably -- not to mention getting local editors/programmers to bend coverage toward the least popular big in-state program -- is a lost cause.

We're getting close to Public Policy Board stuff here. But the newspaper business hasn't responded well to the internet. There's been over-expansion, over-consolidation, bad loans, bad deals, too much absentee ownership by people with no real knowledge of the communities they are supposed to be serving.

I'm reasonably certain that the bulk of the people who made those decisions never had to look for second jobs or file for unemployment. Lots of people impacted by those decisions have.

If an alien picked up a Triangle newspaper it could not be faulted for assuming that Duke University is not located in North Carolina unless, of course, something negative occurs in the Gothic Wonderland. Just sayin'

We're getting close to Public Policy Board stuff here. But the newspaper business hasn't responded well to the internet. There's been over-expansion, over-consolidation, bad loans, bad deals, too much absentee ownership by people with no real knowledge of the communities they are supposed to be serving.

I'm reasonably certain that the bulk of the people who made those decisions never had to look for second jobs or file for unemployment. Lots of people impacted by those decisions have.
    true jim, i should not have put my comment about the problems with the newspapers and the misery of the heels fan's in the same post...didn't mean to cloud the water..

i know many n&o's and EX N&o's....would not disparage them about the business...

Well, the N&O's letting Luciana Chavez go was one of those cutting off the nose to spite the face kind of moves. She is a dynamite writer.