20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Wake vs Tech (More Rice Emotions)

Anyone watching the Wake-Ga Tech game? Rice and I believe Oliver trying to get into a "skirmish" with LD Williams. FWIW, Williams held his cool really well and walked away laughing. Sort of similar to the Scheyer play in our game exception being refs intervened before it got ugly enough for technicals..

As for the game, Wake has blown open a tight one in the last minute. Lead by 11 with a minute to go.

Definitely mixed results for the old Big Four in ACC conference play so far.

1. Duke
    2. Wake
    9-T UNC
    12. State

Ish Smith and Wake are playing well these days.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Definitely mixed results for the old Big Four in ACC conference play so far.

1. Duke
    2. Wake
    9-T UNC
    12. State

Ish Smith and Wake are playing well these days.
    How right you are. It looks like Wake is staking their claim as 2nd best team in the ACC. Maryland is good, but just does not have enough big guys inside. Ga Tech and FSU have talent but lack coaching, and to be honest, I would not be shocked to see Va Tech end up in 3rd.

I am glad we do not have to play at Wake this year, but I do feel that the Big Four schools should play twice each year. I wish they would change the rules on that.

It would make more sense to have 3 groups of 4 teams that play each other twice a year. That would be 6 games. Group 1 could be the northern teams (BC, UVA, VPI, Maryland), Group 2 could be the Big Four, and Group 3 would be the southern teams (Clemson, Ga Tech, FSU, Miami).

You play every one in your group twice for 6 games. You play each of the other teams at least once for 8 more games that gets it to 14 games. And you play 1 team each from the other 2 groups twice rotating through the 4 teams in a group each year. That makes the 16 game schedule. Or you could play 2 of the 4 teams twice each year and go to a 18 game schedule. That way you only go 1 year without playing any one team twice.

If I am ACC Commissioner for a day I go with the 18 game schedule with the 3 groups I outlined..

can someone explain to me how GT is ranked in the top 25? does anybody pay attention to their games?
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    can someone explain to me how GT is ranked in the top 25? does anybody pay attention to their games?
    I think their ranking is almost solely based on the perception that they should be good with Derrick Favors. Lawal/Peacock/Favors is a great front court. But if I've ever learned anything about ACC play, its that Gtech will underperform. They will have some great games, but inconsistency seems to be rule this year.

As far as the other poster and scheduling is concerned, I see two possible opportunities:expand to 22 game conference schedule and do home and away with everyone (not likely, but my favorite option) or divide the ACC into two divisions (hate this idea, but more likely).

BC,MD,VA,Vtech,Miami, and FSU
    Duke, UNC, NCST, Wake, Clemson, and Gtech

Personally, I would swap Gtech for MD or VA, but there really is no good way to divide divisions. The 3x4 idea is too close to the situation now to make much of a difference.

Honestly, I feel like the Premier League in soccer is a cool way to think about it. The top 6 teams will always get a home/away with each other, play the bottom 6 teams once (on the bottom 6 home courts), who play each other twice. At the end of the year, the top six records are reassigned to group A. Im not saying this would be the fairest way, but it would be interesting and it would be punishing for the good teams (who get 6 home games and 12 away games).

scheduling

Seems to me if you want to change who the top teams in the conference are, the forced home-away between rivals at the top is one way to do it. Rivals will beat each other up consistently and just as consistently a mediocre team will end up vying for the acc season title, and get a 1st round bye in the ACC tourney. I'm not sure that would be "fair" or good for the long-term success of any program...though it would make for a couple more interesting games each year.

I would love to see a Favors-Cousins matchup. I wonder which one would be thrown out first? I guess Cousins.