Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A Call to Arms for Cameron

I can pretty much guarantee Coach K is going to say something like this prior to Saturday, but in as much as a building can win a game, Cameron has that capability. And on Saturday, it's time for everyone inside to step up their games like they haven't in ages. I know it's an afternoon start. I know it comes on the heels of a win over the, well, Heels. But it's a huge day.

Start with the fact that Duke is fighting for first place, and has a chance to gain some real separation from the field with a win. That's big.

Next, add in the fact that this team is legitimately in the mix for a #1 seed, and every win or loss matters on that front.

Throw in the fact that Maryland is hot, well-rested and wants nothing more to avenge last year's 40-point beatdown in Cameron.

Greivis Vasquez? Think he wants to stick it to the Crazies just a little bit?

Then there's the reunion. Cameron will be filled with Duke royalty for Coach K's 1,000th game. I can't even imagine what that's going to look/feel like.

And, finally, Duke will be missing its vocal leader, Lance Thomas. Someone has to fill that void for a team that has taken a lot of lumps, has plenty of nagging injuries and is under constant pressure. If you're going to the game, you could, and should, be that person. All of you, collectively, must be.

I've taken some heat here for lamenting the declining creativity and commitment of the Crazies. So now I want to challenge them. Do everything in your power to influence the outcome of this game. Be loud from the moment they let you into the building to the moment they kick you out. Be creative. No, don't make fun of someone's haircut or something. Go beyond that. Really do your research. Find out every little wart about every Maryland player. Exploit that info. Distract them. Follow in longstanding footsteps. And, most of all, support your team as best you can, and support them even more strongly if things aren't going well.

And if you sit upstairs? Join in. Do everything you can.

Again, I can't express strongly enough how much a win could do for this team, as it tries to take one more step from very good to legit title contender, tries to overcome the loss of Lance Thomas and tries to win an ACC title. Saturday's game is huge, huge, huge. Bring it.

A chance

to make this a great week. Wins over our two greatest rivals. Remember last year when the Crazies let Vasquez have it over his comments about CIS being his home or something to that effect. Well let's remind him again it's not his home. Our fans can help our players from having a let down after beating the unc Tar Heels. Looking for wild and crazy crazies. Go Duke!

Then there's the reunion. Cameron will be filled with Duke royalty for Coach K's 1,000th game. I can't even imagine what that's going to look/feel like
    Any word on exactly who is showing up? Festivities?
    Last edited by JBDuke; 02-11-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added quote tags

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Nashville View Post
    Then there's the reunion. Cameron will be filled with Duke royalty for Coach K's 1,000th game. I can't even imagine what that's going to look/feel like

There is very little info leaking out about this that I've seen or heard...

I do know that there have been more requests for tickets behind the bench that the ticket people can handle. There are going to be a TON of former players, coaches, staff members, etc. sitting downstairs. I would do ANYTHING for a ticket to this game.

It's going to be amazing...

Jumbo, if I could get in I would absolutely do everything in your message. If someone got me one of those Borat thongs I would wear it and stand behind the basket while Grievous was shooting free throws. I would paint "Nuestra Casa" on my chest and dance just like Speedo Guy.

For those that will be there, I'm very envious. You will be treated to quite a spectacle...

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    There is very little info leaking out about this that I've seen or heard...

I do know that there have been more requests for tickets behind the bench that the ticket people can handle. There are going to be a TON of former players, coaches, staff members, etc. sitting downstairs. I would do ANYTHING for a ticket to this game.

It's going to be amazing...

Jumbo, if I could get in I would absolutely do everything in your message. If someone got me one of those Borat thongs I would wear it and stand behind the basket while Grievous was shooting free throws. I would paint "Nuestra Casa" on my chest and dance just like Speedo Guy.

For those that will be there, I'm very envious. You will be treated to quite a spectacle...

Me and you both....

I hope Laettner sits behind the Duke bench and leads the veterans in some salty exhorting and cheering.

On top of everything else, a head-to-head showdown between two top contenders for ACC POY.

Man, I am talking myself into hitting the flash auction pretty hard.

The relationship between Greivis Vasquez and Cameron is an awful lot like the relationship between Pedro Martinez and Yankee Stadium. They've both talked smack about the place in the past, then been humiliated, and then, effectively or literally, bowed their heads and called the place their Daddy. Pedro's gotten all the way to the point of masochism, where he seems to actually enjoy losing to the Yankees. I wonder if Greivis is in a similar position now. We'll know on Saturday.

in the nearly two decades since I left Duke...

...there hasn't been a game at Cameron that I would rather be at. K's 1000th? With Duke royalty coming from all around?

Come on, how awesome is that?

So, I just want to say to the folks going, that you with you in spirit are thousands of folks who wish they could be there but can't...so, what Jumbo said.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I hope Laettner sits behind the Duke bench and leads the veterans in some salty exhorting and cheering.
    You know..I've never seen past players do much other than sit stoically and watch. That drives me bananas, I want to see them jumping with everyone else. That's one of my pet peeves about the priveleged behind-the-bench seats. They used to be filled with students, now they need padding because those people never stand up. Maybe this game they will...
    P.S. The tv crowd never sees this because the cameras focus on the active crazies.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Not G

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    You know..I've never seen past players do much other than sit stoically and watch. That drives me bananas, I want to see them jumping with everyone else. That's one of my pet peeves about the priveleged behind-the-bench seats. They used to be filled with students, now they need padding because those people never stand up. Maybe this game they will...
    P.S. The tv crowd never sees this because the cameras focus on the active crazies.
    I recall seeing Gerald Henderson at a game this year and he was pretty boisterous.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    In recent years, I've seen J-Will and Duhon, among others, very much into it at games. And a good portion of those "priveleged behind-the-bench seats" go the players' families. I'm pretty sure they deserve to do what they like, and I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be acting like the Crazies.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    In recent years, I've seen J-Will and Duhon, among others, very much into it at games. And a good portion of those "priveleged behind-the-bench seats" go the players' families. I'm pretty sure they deserve to do what they like, and I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be acting like the Crazies.
    I love hearing that they are into it, I wish they'd show it on TV. That whole section needs a private cheerleader. At times it's like someone took a small slice of the dean dome and planted them there.
    And why not act like a Crazie? I was lucky enough to be down there last year for the Miami game, and it's infectious, you can't help yourself.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I, for one, would love to see some "Fire Debbie Yow" signs at the game. I'm sure Gary will appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteboardGuy View Post
    I, for one, would love to see some "Fire Debbie Yow" signs at the game. I'm sure Gary will appreciate them.
    Maybe Battier and Jason will show up to give Gary a serious case of flashback sweats.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Maybe Battier and Jason will show up to give Gary a serious case of flashback sweats.
    I'm sure Nate will be there.

Sweat, Gary, sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Nashville View Post
    Given that no Duke players appear to participating in the All Star weekend, I'd bet that most active NBAers will be there and many others. I have tickets to the Carolina game, but I really think this is THE ticket to have this season.

Bring a camera and an autograph book.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post

Bring a camera and an autograph book.
    And a loud voice! That's what this is all about, remember? So where are you, current Crazies? Whatcha got?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    And a loud voice! That's what this is all about, remember? So where are you, current Crazies? Whatcha got?
    The urge to put my head throuogh a wall from reading Maryland message boards.

So far I've got Jordan Wiliams being arrested (charges dropped) and a suspiscion that Vasquez broke up...some time over the last year (last year, there was a bunch of stuff about how his nickname was GQ, from dating a cheerleader and a softball player, now not so much; nothing to confrim it though). Not much to go on. There was supposed to be a competition for digging up dirt on opponents as part of the kville numbering, but I have no idea how it's going to be distributed.

Funny because it is true...

Insulting Bantering
    Assault with Batteries

(too wordy for a sign, but it made me laugh)