Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ed Davis out for the season?

According to IC:
    http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/945948.html

More surprisingly it happened against Duke on Wednesday.

If true, that might have explained some of his poor play offensively and lack of rebounds.

If true, I think it's safe to say that the wheels have come off for them.

Of course, if true, that might mean he returns for next year, which would be somewhat bad news for us.

Sorry for him that he's hurt. It's been a tough year for him, and this only compounds matters. Hopefully he recovers quickly and fully. And hopefully he still decides to go pro this summer!

That sucks.

Hope it heals well and fast (especially so that it doesn't impact his draft status for the League!).

Kidding aside though, Davis has huge up-side to go pro and I hope everything turns out well for him. What a frustrating injury.

Hope for a speedy recovery.

Though I don't know any specifics about his injury I am impressed he re-entered the game with a broken bone. Tough kid.

Hate to see a player on any team get hurt, and of course I also hate to see unc fans get another excuse for their season...hope he recovers quickly.

Bad break, pun intended.

No surgery or ligament damage, that's good. How significant is the "lunate" bone amongst the millions and millions of bones in the wrist?

I hope they are removing all sharp objects from ol' roy's office and home:

"We're all extremely disappointed for Ed and for our entire team," says Williams. "It's hard to lose any starter, but when you lose someone likely for the rest of the season who does so many different things for your team it's a significant loss. He's our second-leading scorer, top rebounder, shot blocker and field goal percentage shooter, so it's a huge blow to our team. However, we have to band together and try to overcome this latest adversity caused by injury."
    ol' roy really needed another excuse. He still has 3 AA post players and 2 more returning soon. No matter. The heels are toast.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    If true, that might have explained some of his poor play offensively and lack of rebounds.
    For the last 9:16 of the game, yes this would be an explanation. What's his excuse for the first 30:44 of the game?

In all seriousness, I do remember him bobbling a pass from Drew that Kyle then stole and having a rebound ripped away from him in the last few minutes. Not to mention the missed FTs. All would seem to be greatly affected by the wrist injury.

Hope for a full recovery. I don't even wish injuries on UNC players. Except, maybe, Makhtar Ndiaye.

Could be a blessing in disguise for UNC if it causes him to return

Marshall, Bullock, Barnes, Zeller, and Davis as a starting lineup could help UNC get over this year very fast. The key to national championships lately has been having 1 or more players stay an extra year unexpectedly for one reason or another. I really thought it was questionable that Davis didn't leave to be a top 5 pick last year.

Best Wishes

Hope he does have a quick recovery. Hate to see injuries. Anyone remember the play?

Hoping for a quick and full recovery

Tough break.

Given that Kerlina still has 3 healthy posts, it shouldn't have a big effect, but I suppose that it will be used as an excuse.

Guess the shoes can't be blamed for this one. Unless he fell because of those shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Hope he does have a quick recovery. Hate to see injuries. Anyone remember the play?
    Went up for a lay-up against Singler, who tried to take a charge. Davis went up, collided with Singler, turned horizontally, and fell on Kyle from two feet up at least. Tried to break his fall with his wrist.

It looked bad and was surprised that he got up to shoot those free throws.

UNC is soft this year, but that was one helluva tough play.
    Last edited by flyingdutchdevil; 02-12-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Another excuse for Roy.

Reduces the chance that Davis leaves this summer.

"ol' roy really needed another excuse. He still has 3 AA post players and 2 more returning soon."

How many of those posts are projected lottery picks this season?

Duke has five players 6'8" or taller who were McDonald's and/or Parade All-Americans. Are they interchangeable?

This is a significant loss for Carolina. And they have had more than their share of injuries this year. You don't have to like them to acknowledge this.

Good memory

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Went up for a lay-up against Singler, who tried to take a charge. Davis went up, collided with Singler, turned horizontally, and fell on Kyle from two feet up at least. Tried to break his fall with his wrist.

I do remember thanks for rattling my gray matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    How significant is the "lunate" bone amongst the millions and millions of bones in the wrist?
    The lunate articulates with the radius, and it does bear a significant amount of load onto the forearm, I think around 40% (the scaphoid bears most of the load).

Vascular supply to the hand is not incredibly great, making healing slow. I know that a major complication of scaphoid fracture is poor-healing and often necrosis; I haven't heard that about lunate fractures. What a crappy injury to have. Its going to be very difficult for him over the next few months or so. sucks.

davis out

Hate to see this news -- on the basic level because it's rotton for the kid. I'm sure our first wish is that he makes a full and complete recovery.

On another level I hate it because it now offers know-nothing media types an easy explanation for UNC's collapse (I know Davis was lost after the collapse had already occurred ... you think that will matter?)

I don't think it changes anything as far as his NBA plans -- if anything it makes it MORE likely he does to protect his NCAA career chances. Not sure he's still a top 5 pick, but he's still a top 10 guy.

As for UNC's season, I'd say this is the last nail in the coffin, except that the coffin was pretty much nailed up after the Duke game Wednesday. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they bounce back with a strong showing Saturday against NC State -- remember the old Dean Smith axium that emotion can help a team cope with the loss of a star for one game. Buit that only applies if they haven't quit ... we'll see.

Long-term, I shudder to think about what this UNC team will look like the rest of the way without its best player (and while Davis didn't become the superstar soph that many predicted, he was having a fine season).

BTW: To suggest this is no big deal for the Heels because they have three A-A post guys left, is lunatic:

Going into the Duke game, Davis was averaging 13.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 2.7 blocked shots, while shooting an ACC best 58.0 percent from the floor). He was their best player. Period.

You're going to replace that with John Henson (3.5 ppg., 2.5 rpg., 47.1 FG)? David Wear (2.9 ppg., 1.4 ppg.)? Maybe Travis Wear will recover from his ankle and bring his 3.8 ppg. and 2.6 reb. In a week or so, Tyler Zeller will be back (9.6 ppg., 4.6 reb.) and UNC will actually have two decent players in the post.
    Last edited by Olympic Fan; 02-12-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

I remember being very upset at Mason on this play. He missed on a foolish gamble for a steal lon the pass to Davis, leaving Kyle to try to slide over with late help on the drive. Now Ed Davis and the rest of the Heels are also wishing he'd played better defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    I think it occurred in the second half when Davis got tangled up on a foul inside and fell awkwardly. He then missed both free throws badly. NOt sure who he got tangled up with- it wasn't that hard a foul and the fall didn't look that bad, but I guess that's the way it goes.

I feel bad because I was ticked at Davis for the lack of presence during the game. This does explain a lot.

The injuries at this point are ridiculous- our vaunted front court has lost three of its five members. We clearly weren't going anywhere even with Davis, but it is frustrating nonetheless as it contributes to this growing problem in which our players are less experienced than their class year would indicate. Only silver lining is that it might encourage him to come back next year, although I'm still doubtful that will occur.

Not Me...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Long-term, I shudder to think about what this UNC team will look like the rest of the way without its best player (and while Davis didn't become the superstar soph that many predicted, he was having a fine season).
    I tremble with breathless delight at the potential beatdowns they will endure.