Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Talking MBB: Duke-Maryland Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Thanks for the prompt, "slower." I was still in reverie over the UNC victory.

Terps at Duke Saturday at 1PM ET. CBS is carrying, even here in the Mountain Time Zone.

Some questions:

1. How does Duke defend Greivis Vasquez? Scheyer? A committee?

2. What happens to our inside rotation with Lance presumably unavailable? Can Mason build on his success at UNC?

3. Will Duke be emotionally drained after the UNC win, and UMd be newly resurgent after last year's epic beatdown by Duke?

sagegrouse

Better Late Than Never!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagegrouse
    Quite understandable, my friend!

Pregame MOTM:

Nolan Smith

Is it to early too vote for that?

I’ll provide a few thoughts on the Terps since I’ve watched all but a handful of their games.

Like several of the recent Maryland teams, they started slowly and lost to a couple of teams that they should have defeated. I attribute their slow start to (1) the acclimation of their freshman center, Williams: (2) not having an experienced inside backup (Gregory) available for several games; and (3) the early season funk of their top player, Vasquez. However, during the last 12 games or so, they have turned things around and have played much better than they did last year.

Following his slow start, Vasquez has played well in all but a couple of games and has played particularly well in ACC games. He is still a high risk/high reward type player but he seems to be playing under more control this year. He and his fellow seniors, Milbourne and Hayes, are the core of the team. Milbourne has been playing very well and deserves some All ACC consideration, IMO. Mosley is a nice complement to these three and has played well for most of the season. His excellent field goal percentages belie the fact that he is not a great shooter. The key to this year’s team is Williams. The youngster was not highly touted but he has good hands, runs the court well, plays better than average defense, and is not afraid to mix it up with the big boys underneath the basket. The bench consists of Bowie and Tucker on the perimeter and Gregory inside. All three are average to better than average reserves on an ACC team.

As I noted above, they are playing better this year than last. Their shooting, passing, rebounding and sharing the ball are improved. I see the Terps in a group of teams after the two best teams in the ACC, Duke and Wake. If they continue to play well, I expect them to finish with ten wins and an NCAAT bid. Vasquez should be in the mix for ACC POY and, IMO, is a sure fire 1st team All ACC.

As for Saturday’s game, I see the Devils’ talent and size edge plus playing on the best homecourt in the ACC being too much for the Terps. If the Terps protect the ball and shoot well, I expect a good game and for the Devils to win by 5-8 points. If not, it could get ugly for Maryland fans.

I'll post my thoughts on the questions later.

gw67

Time for Dawkins to step up big time, and not just by shooting threes. We need him to contribute some solid minutes so Kyle can slide over to the 4 for a bit. I'm really glad this game is at home given the absence of lack and potential fatigue/letdown after the last game.

Dangerous Game

Looking at comparative performance, in the acc+ common opponent Wisconsin, this seems to be a fairly even matchup. Home court should make the difference, but if MD gets on a roll it could be tough to slow them down.

Quote Originally Posted by striker219 View Post
    Nolan Smith

Is it to early too vote for that?
    I'm with you on this one! With Hayes most likely guarding him, I hope Nolan has a field day!

I have a feeling that Nolan's itching for an eruption of scoring
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Here's to Zoubek setting a massive, legal screen

Has Vasquez been reminded about whose house it is we're playing in?

Nolan is due for a great game. Hope he really steps up. He was a little out of it with UNC.

Gotta watch Vasquez, but he doesn't always play so well in Cameron. Glad we are home.

With all the celebration of Coach K's birthday and his 1000th. game, the atmosphere will be filled with excitement which we hope translates into a high level performance for Duke.

Duke wins

- We're 13-3 against RPI top 100 (Rivals). Maryland is 5-6.

- Surprisingly (am I wrong?) Duke is 2-3 against current top 25 teams. From my quick scan it looks like Maryland is 0-2.

- If you believe in RPI it's a comfort to note we're 4 and they are 42. I doubt we are the 4th best team in the nation right now, but I do think we're better than Maryland.

- Still, I think you throw out the numbers for this game given the big party. There will be lots of emotion for coach and the legacy guys.

Duke wins big. When we play them at Maryland THEN I'm worried. Particularly since because I'm living in exile in MD I'll have to listen to all the turtle crap if they win. Speaking of which, apparently it is normal for a turtle to eat their own feces. Don't they research these things BEFORE they choose a mascot?

wouldn't be a propr' thread if we didn't mention rest, right? LOL - I am sort of kidding with this one as the snow-bound Terps did not play their mid week game against UVA. No accounting for the weather so no whining.

However, I will mention that you combine this with the emotional play at UNC and I am glad we are at home.

The biggest priorty

Terps at Duke Saturday at 1PM ET. CBS is carrying, even here in the Mountain Time Zone.

Some questions:

2. What happens to our inside rotation with Lance presumably unavailable? Can Mason build on his success at UNC?

3. Will Duke be emotionally drained after the UNC win, and UMd be newly resurgent after last year's epic beatdown by Duke?

sagegrouse
    Is containing Greivis Vasquez. As someone stated, he does not play all that well at CIS. However we 've had some pretty good defense on him. My questions is who do we put on him? Looks like the concensus is Nolan and that probably makes sense, but that means Nolan is going to spend a lot of energy staying with him. It could be Jon as he's taller and does a good job on defense. We'll be switching on him anyway, so it could be any of our perimeter players. Glad we're at home for this one. We could use Lance for spot duty on him. Well the crazies will help make up for his loss. Go Duke!

Some questions:

sagegrouse
    1. I expect that he will be guarded by committee. Even though he is averaging 20 ppg in ACC play, his real strength is his passing. Clemson was very effective guarding him with a big perimeter player and cutting off his passing lanes. A key for the Devils will be disrupting the Terps' offense and getting turnovers.

2. I presume that Mason Plumlee will garner the most minutes in Thomas's absence and that Singler and/or Kelly will help out.

3. Coach K is the best in the business at getting his players ready for a game emotionally so I anticipate no letdown by the Devils, particularly, since it is a big day for the coach. The Terps are playing well and I suspect that they see playing the Devils in CIS as an uphill battle. I also suspect that last year's beatdown will have zero effect. They have 3 games in 5 days including a return engagement in North Carolina (at NC State) next Wednesday so their coaching staff may be looking at more than this game.

gw67

Is there any chance that snow will cause the game to be postponed? While it seems as though it might be to our advantage, it will be a problem shoehorning another game into the schedule later.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Is there any chance that snow will cause the game to be postponed? While it seems as though it might be to our advantage, it will be a problem shoehorning another game into the schedule later.
    I would say no. Snowfall should be pretty minimal, there have been games in the snow here before.

I wouldn't say I am worried but then again I am. I've watched this Maryland team play a few times this season and they looked very mediocre in the beginning of the season. But I watched them this past weekend against UNC and they look to be a very different and better team. With that said I do believe we are the better team but I just hope we bring our normal offense. IF...we bring that same offense that we had at UNC into this game somehow...I don't see us being as fortunate and pulling out a W. But that is a hugh IF. Not being negative and I do believe we are going to win but just had to play devils advocate. Something about this Maryland team spooks me...someone please tell me I'm crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I would say no. Snowfall should be pretty minimal, there have been games in the snow here before.
    I think the concern is whether the Terps will be able to take off from the Maryland area

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think the concern is whether the Terps will be able to take off from the Maryland area
    Well I would think they've already left by now, or will be soon, so if they can't make it I think we would know already.