Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Top 25 Rankings week of 2/1/2010

In AP, we're tied for 10th (Kansas St.)
    In ESPN/USA, we're 8th

Georgia Tech is the only other ACC team in the top 25 of either poll

Correction...Duke is 9th in ESPN/USA Today. Has Duke ever been tied in the polls? I personally have never seen this happen.

Well we are there for the present time, but if we don't start playing better we won't be in the top 10. This is the time of the ACC schedule when Duke usually takes off. We have a pretty good test over the next several games starting with trying to give the Jackets a little pay back from the sting they gave us earlier. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Hancock 4 Duke View Post
    Correction...Duke is 9th in ESPN/USA Today. Has Duke ever been tied in the polls? I personally have never seen this happen.
    you're right, my bad. as for being tied, not sure, but seems awfully difficult to get the exact same # of points

On one hand, No. 9 seems absurdly high based on what we saw Saturday.

On the other hand, when I look at the poll there aren't many teams I'd say should be No. 9 over Duke.

"Parity" is one word for the field this season in college hoops. "Blah" is another, depending on your perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by KyDevilinIL View Post

On the other hand, when I look at the poll there aren't many teams I'd say should be No. 9 over Duke.

"Parity" is one word for the field this season in college hoops. "Blah" is another, depending on your perspective.
    When I was looking at the teams behind us, thought the exact same thing. KS St., BYU, New Mexico, Ohio St., Tennessee, et al. A bunch of mediocrity imo

Seems about right

I think Duke is still a Top 10 team, but it's close. My guess is that we can afford two more losses (in conference) and still remain in the hunt for a #2 seed. Three or more and that likely will be gone.

Too much inconsistent basketball being played around the country. Any team going into the tournament can win on a given night. There will be no clear cut favorites unless some teams start playing better ball

I'm becoming increasingly afraid Kansas is gonna roll through this thing in March...

well, of all the teams that CAN "roll through it in march"....if duke isn't going to be that team, i am all for ku being that team...

i've been their fan since 40-12..

perspective

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    When I was looking at the teams behind us, thought the exact same thing. KS St., BYU, New Mexico, Ohio St., Tennessee, et al. A bunch of mediocrity imo
    I'm not sure if its sad, or if you should be glad, that a top 10-20 team seems like mediocrity. That means, doesnt it, that more than 90% of the CBB world is playing sub-par as par is redefined? I guess some feel worse to be ranked down to number 10 while another school's fans are ecstatic to reach up to the top 25 and get all that recognition and advertising free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by KyDevilinIL View Post

Surprisingly, 7 of the next 8 teams behind Duke also lost last week, so I guess the voters figured that at least we lost to a quality opponent. The exception was #15 Butler.

Realistically, look at what we've done. . .

We're winning our conference (the #3 conference in America by the RPI)
    We are #6 in RPI, #2 in Pomeroy rankings, #3 in the Sagarin rankings.

We've only lost 4 games. We lost a rivalry game on the road in conference, and road games to the #7, #16, and #21 teams in the country by 12, 4, and 4 pts).

We're 6-3 versus the RPI Top 50, with 3 more games to play against top 50 opponents (not counting the ACC tourney). Assuming we lose one of the games to UNC and one of those remaining top 50 games (a reasonable assumption) that would make us 25-6 (before the ACC tourney, where you could expect at the very least 2-1, so 27-7 overallor 28-6, conference champs, and at least one more top 50 win). Take away the name, and ask yourself what seed the following team deserves:

-Conference champ regular season and tournament of the 3rd best conference in the nation.
    -9-4 against RPI top 50
    -28-6 overall

Is that really that bad of a tournament resume for a #2 seed? I realize that we need to accomplish the things I stated (win our conference regular season and tourney, but this seems entirely achievable).

I know we played bad against Georgetown, but maybe they deserve a little credit, and we're not as bad as some seem to think. . .

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    Assuming we lose one of the games to UNC and one of those remaining top 50 games (a reasonable assumption)
    What?!? I'm not assuming that and would be very disappointed if that comes to be true. I'm expecting us to beat them home and away this season.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 02-01-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Well, trade it for MD on the road, or something like that. I'd love for us to go 10-0 for our last 10 games. 9-1 is more realistic. I picked the UNC game at their place over MD on the road or dropping an unexpected other conference game. Take your pick, I think the msot likely scenario is us going 8-2 OR BETTER for our last 10, and simply chose this for the sake of argument. ASSUMING we will sweep UNC is never a safe bet, no matter how down they are. I guess I should have said "assuming we lose 2 games, (take your pick)". . . We will no doubt be favored in both games, and should win both (but we will be favored in ALL of our remaining games, so that argument doesn't really hold water). I was just saying WORST case, we still end up with ~6 losses, which is a damn good year,

Duke is Favorite to win ACC

We've only lost 4 games. We lost a rivalry game on the road in conference, and road games to the #7, #16, and #21 teams in the country by 12, 4, and 4 pts).

We're 6-3 versus the RPI Top 50, with 3 more games to play against top 50 opponents (not counting the ACC tourney). Assuming we lose one of the games to UNC and one of those remaining top 50 games (a reasonable assumption) that would make us 25-6 (before the ACC tourney, where you could expect at the very least 2-1, so 27-7 overallor 28-6, conference champs, and at least one more top 50 win). Take away the name, and ask yourself what seed the following team deserves:

-Conference champ regular season and tournament of the 3rd best conference in the nation.
    -9-4 against RPI top 50
    -28-6 overall

Is that really that bad of a tournament resume for a #2 seed? I realize that we need to accomplish the things I stated (win our conference regular season and tourney, but this seems entirely achievable).

I know we played bad against Georgetown, but maybe they deserve a little credit, and we're not as bad as some seem to think. . .
    "Assume a split with NC at CH??! " Good grief. Way off base! We'll be strong favorites in both - they are just AWFUL and were just blown out at home vs UVA. UVA!!? (They have nothing on the perimeter and that is our strength. Look for Nolan to go off for 25+.) Frankly, I'm more concerned about MD and GT than that group of heels! MD is generally playing with confidence now. I see us losing maybe 2 more ACC (probably on the road) games. Even post-Georgetown the media seems to be leaning towards Duke as the ACC favorites.

Just need a little 'mo' heading into March...

" Look for Nolan to go off for 25+."

look for them to play their best game of the season against us (ref: NCS).

Well, trade it for MD on the road, or something like that. I'd love for us to go 10-0 for our last 10 games. 9-1 is more realistic. I picked the UNC game at their place over MD on the road or dropping an unexpected other conference game. Take your pick, I think the msot likely scenario is us going 8-2 OR BETTER for our last 10, and simply chose this for the sake of argument. ASSUMING we will sweep UNC is never a safe bet, no matter how down they are. I guess I should have said "assuming we lose 2 games, (take your pick)". . . We will no doubt be favored in both games, and should win both (but we will be favored in ALL of our remaining games, so that argument doesn't really hold water). I was just saying WORST case, we still end up with ~6 losses, which is a damn good year,
    I really don't see us winning 8 or 9 of the last 10. If we can lose badly to State on the road, I bet we lose at least 3-4 more games in the conference. It's great to hope only 1-2 more losses, but the teams seem more closely balanced. Anyway, if we go 10-6 or 11-5 we still might win the regular season as I think lots of teams will be 7-9, 8-8 and 9-7.

-9-4 against RPI top 50
    -28-6 overall

Careful...
    This post is just a bit too reasonable, and it lacks any histrionic element whatsoever.
    I'm not sure you fit around these parts these days, pardner.

look ahead...

IMO with this team I believe we just can't look ahead. As said in an earlier post this country is up and down and all mixed up as to whom is winning any given night. I heard someone refer to Kansas going deep which is very possible but I just wanted to make a side note that they have had they're close calls as well (ex. ksu) but they just have had more success then some others at pulling out those wins. Not taking anything away from them but it is what it is. And also, Syracuse and Villanova have a very tough Big East schedule ahead of them as well. So although it is fun to keep trying to predict and figure out how we'll do this year, we may just want to just focus on the next game ahead.

Also, as for the tournament seed...I'm all for a #2 seed but for the most part honestly (and this is just my opinion) after the first round, not that they're is ever an "easy" tournament win but I believe with how even everyone is this year you will see tough games than past years from the second round on. Could be a crazy year in March Madness because there is NO (including all the teams) clear cut team to go to the final four.