Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

We're #1 in the ACC

In the ACC. Maryland just lost to Clemson.

Big Deal !!! THe Conference is mediocre at best and we can't win a road game.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    There's much of the season left. Though the Georgetown game is fresh in our memory, realize we have several hard tests left, and many things can happen. Players can develop (I'm talking to you Mason, and you Miles, and you Kyle at the 3).

I wonder if you logged on to this site with the idea of...I'm depressed and I'm going to bring someone else down with me!

I would suggest tuning into the Carolina game if you need to be cheered up. They are the gift that just keeps on giving.

Wow. I apologize for disturbing your funk with good news. Yes, being #1 does not mean much at this point in the season. However, it is a lot better to be on top than where UNC is!

Are you kidding?

Finishing first in the regular season is an important goal.

Sorry if it doesn't fit your agenda.

Smile Inhale, Exhale...

Hey, NYC! Why don't you go into the country and breathe some fresh air. It might do you good.

sagegrouse

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Are you kidding?

Exactly! Good point Roy!

See, that is the problem with the current culture of it's NCAA Title or the season is a bust. I am very glad I have a very different perspective. Winning the ACC Regular Season and ACC Tournament are always Goal Number 1 to me. Winning the National Title is the ultimate but it just is not realistic to have that be the only thing that matters year in and year out.

I for one am very glad Duke is now at the top of the ACC standings and has a great chance to finish there. Get that done and then go for the ACC Tourney title. After that it is then time to set the goal of making the Final Four. Get there and there is a realistic chance of taking the big one home.

But to pooh pooh away the conference championships as not being important is just wrong to me.

Anyway, I am with you Roy, 1st place in the ACC is an important goal. Glad to see our guys have a leg up on everyone else while our main rivals are fighting to stay out of the cellar...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Are you kidding?

I didn't think we cared about the regular season, only the ACC Tourney

BTW, I think we win both this year...

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I didn't think we cared about the regular season, only the ACC Tourney

BTW, I think we win both this year...
    Obviously both are important, but as my hole fan co-worker loves to remind me, "Neither gets you a SI Special Edition Cover."

If we can't win the ACC this year when it is as bad as it is, I would rank it with Coach K's worst coaching jobs. That being said, I totally expect us to win the regular season title.

I love this philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Exactly! Good point Roy!

See, that is the problem with the current culture of it's NCAA Title or the season is a bust. I am very glad I have a very different perspective. Winning the ACC Regular Season and ACC Tournament are always Goal Number 1 to me. Winning the National Title is the ultimate but it just is not realistic to have that be the only thing that matters year in and year out.

I for one am very glad Duke is now at the top of the ACC standings and has a great chance to finish there. Get that done and then go for the ACC Tourney title. After that it is then time to set the goal of making the Final Four. Get there and there is a realistic chance of taking the big one home.

But to pooh pooh away the conference championships as not being important is just wrong to me.

Anyway, I am with you Roy, 1st place in the ACC is an important goal. Glad to see our guys have a leg up on everyone else while our main rivals are fighting to stay out of the cellar...

Better to have 17 plus great years than only 3.

Sure the road trip to georgetown was a bust but i do believe we did just recently beat a very good team in clemson on the road,did we not?

Talking Well, yes it is

Well, yes it is...
    Certainly it appears to be to the DC-based media. For those of us in the DC area for the last several days having to endure all of the local crowing about the Terps "are currently in first place in the ACC" (when they and the MD fans weren't gushing about how the Dukies got "trounced" by Gerogetown). Actually, the Wash Post on Sat, the day that Duke was playing in DC vs GT - this being a paper than has lagged in ACC coverage recently - just happened to have a headline/article on the front of the sports section about MD being in first (complete with chart listing the whole ACC) and how luminaries like UNC and Duke and Clemson all trailed them. So, yeah, the MD rooters and their journalism school flunkies were pretty excited about it.

And it certainly is a lot better than where those bottom-dwelling heels are!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke4life92 View Post
    Sure the road trip to georgetown was a bust but i do believe we did just recently beat a very good team in clemson on the road,did we not?
    You are correct. I did forget about the win at Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Hey, NYC! Why don't you go into the country and breathe some fresh air. It might do you good.

sagegrouse
    Sorry, I just do not get so excited about Duke being in first place in the ACC, ( which is not the usual top conference this year ), after 7 games and being 1/2 game ahead of several teams.

It is too cold up here to go out in the country and breathe fresh air. If it were the spring I might take your advise.

Sorry, I just do not get so excited about Duke being in first place in the ACC
    I hope I never, ever reach that day as a Duke fan.

Do I want this program to be able to contend for national titles? Yes. Do I worry about this particular team's chances to be a viable threat past the first weekend in March? Yes. But 1st place in the ACC remains 1st place in the ACC, even if it's at the mid-point of the season, even if it's a down year for the conference. Leading the conference is exciting, just like winning the conference would be exciting. Even if we want our players and team to be the best on a national level, we shouldn't let that goal interfere with our ability to enjoy success in the conference.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Well, yes it is...
    Certainly it appears to be to the DC-based media. For those of us in the DC area for the last several days having to endure all of the local crowing about the Terps "are currently in first place in the ACC" (when they and the MD fans weren't gushing about how the Dukies got "trounced" by Gerogetown). Actually, the Wash Post on Sat, the day that Duke was playing in DC vs GT - this being a paper than has lagged in ACC coverage recently - just happened to have a headline/article on the front of the sports section about MD being in first (complete with chart listing the whole ACC) and how luminaries like UNC and Duke and Clemson all trailed them. So, yeah, the MD rooters and their journalism school flunkies were pretty excited about it.

And it certainly is a lot better than where those bottom-dwelling heels are!!

You are correct about the Maryland rooters...I know I have family who went there, ( very, very tough ).

As to UNC, I would trade places with them in a heartbeat. I would gladly be in last place in the ACC and not even make the tournament this year if need be, if I could have won the NCAA tournament last year, ( and know that next year I will be a top team again).

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I hope I never, ever reach that day as a Duke fan.

Do I want this program to be able to contend for national titles? Yes. Do I worry about this particular team's chances to be a viable threat past the first weekend in March? Yes. But 1st place in the ACC remains 1st place in the ACC, even if it's at the mid-point of the season, even if it's a down year for the conference. Leading the conference is exciting, just like winning the conference would be exciting. Even if we want our players and team to be the best on a national level, we shouldn't let that goal interfere with our ability to enjoy success in the conference.
    I did say that I wasn't excited after ONLY 7 GAMES and being only 1/2 game in front of several schools.If they win the conference and ACC tournament, I will change.

I did say that I wasn't excited after ONLY 7 GAMES and being only 1/2 game in front of several schools.If they win the conference and ACC tournament, I will change.
    As far as I'm concerned, being in first is always fun. Be it after 1, 7, or 17 games. And we haven't actually spent much time in 1st place in the ACC this year, thanks to the early GT loss. Nice to be back on top.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke