Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Adding fuel to the fire at the UNC game (Feb 10)

According to sources, Tyler Hansbrough will be having his jersey retired at our game against UNC on Feb 10th. I can't for that game...and his face at the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    According to sources, Tyler Hansbrough will be having his jersey retired at our game against UNC on Feb 10th. I can't for that game...and his face at the end of it.
    I'm surprised that Danny Green, Bobby Frasor, and Quentin Thomas aren't also getting their jerseys retired.

Roy will almost try anything to get his boys fired up for Duke....why don't they just bring back all the players from the 100 years of basketball.

let's just keep a lid on it...win the game and walk out like we've been there..

If Hansbrough is anywhere in the building, the odds just went up on a UNC win.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    If Hansbrough is anywhere in the building, the odds just went up on a UNC win.
    Yeah, I'm sure Daniel Ewing will be called for fouling him before the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    But the team hasn't been there much lately.

I agree, win the game and act like its any other game. Would make UNC fans very angry.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure Daniel Ewing will be called for fouling him before the tip.
    I am guessing he will prob show up in the box score with 15pts, 10rebs and will take a minimum 8 free throws.

A-Ro24

We should bring Gerald with us.

I hop Hansbrough gets to sit down low. The altitude in the nose-bleed (no pun intended ) sections of the dome could wreak havoc on that inner ear infection.

Maybe Andre Buckner can make an special visit as well...I hear he has a sick push.

Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    Roy will almost try anything to get his boys fired up for Duke....why don't they just bring back all the players from the 100 years of basketball.
    I think this will be a tactical mistake. The pressure of this game is enough without having the added pressure of winning one for the "Beaker". UNC has had a difficult time finding an identity this year, and having Hansblah watching will just magnify that for a team that is struggling with their confidence. Besides, I suppose Hansblah will give the motivational pre-game speech. I can just imagine it now, he walks up to the front of the locker room and shouts… WOW!! Sending the Tar Heels into frenzy!!

Perfect!

When we retired JJ, we lost that game as well. As a CC in attendance at the time, I was gutted. I want those baby blue £$%& to feel the same thing...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

What I think is really lame is how UNC will "honor" a player's jersey, which is less symbolic than retiring. There are some questionable numbers flying around in the dean dump that were, fwiw, good players, but not good enough to have their jerseys hanging up. I can see that it gives the "impression" that there is a lot more history in this program, when it really just demonstrates the lack of standards to get your jersey "honored". Hansbrough deserves his number retired, but I have to question Ellington, Lawson, McCants, Forte, Haywood, etc having their jersey “honored”.

smith center

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Actually, most of these guys have been there before -- Scheyer, Thomas and Zoubek were sophomores and Singler and Smith were freshmen in 2008 when Duke beat UNC 89-78 in the Smith Center.

As for Hansbrough, his Duke-UNC experience is interesting. UNC fans like to make a lot out his 4-0 record in Cameron, which IS excellent, but they rarely point out that he was a mere 2-2 against Duke in the Smith Center.

Interesting that Duke has had a lot of success (and a winning record) in Chapel Hill in this decade -- winning every even year (2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 ... 2010?). Duke also won in 2001 -- routing UNC in the finale to force a tie for the regular season title. With a win in 1999, Duke is 7-4 in its last 11 trips to the Smith Center.

Who has the edge in the rivalry? It depends on what time-frame you use. UNC leads 130-97 overall. Duke leads 14-9 in this decade. UNC leads 5-2 over the last three seasons, including the last three in a row.

One last interesting fact: Duke, which had almost no luck in Carmichael (2-18), is 12-14 all-time in the Smith Center -- 10-14 against UNC, 2-0 in the 1988 NCAA Tournament.

I wonder if they'll bring in some referee jerseys to hang next to Hansblahblah's. I really hope we win this game. I'm pretty much keeping quiet on UNC's struggles until we play them.

good

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    Its good he gets to travel to a game, instead of in one, for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I think this will be a tactical mistake. The pressure of this game is enough without having the added pressure of winning one for the "Beaker". UNC has had a difficult time finding an identity this year, and having Hansblah watching will just magnify that for a team that is struggling with their confidence. Besides, I suppose Hansblah will give the motivational pre-game speech. I can just imagine it now, he walks up to the front of the locker room and shouts WOW!! Sending the Tar Heels into frenzy!!

Perfect!
    Are you sure it would be a shout and not a series of meeps?

they should retire the jersey of the chapel hill officer who gave lawson the dwi.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Who has the edge in the rivalry? It depends on what time-frame you use. UNC leads 130-97 overall. Duke leads 14-9 in this decade. UNC leads 5-2 over the last three seasons, including the last three in a row.
    This is the only time-frame that Duke leads. The 2000's were the first decade Duke ever won head-to-head.

That being said, it's certainly an intriguing choice in games for the ceremony. I agree that the pressure on the team is already going to be pretty strong, and this added emotion likely won't help.

Has this rumor been confirmed? I had heard earlier (albeit through IC chatter) that the ceremony was to be during the NC State game.