View Poll Results: Who was the Man of the Match vs. NC State?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andre Dawkins

1 0.75%
  • Ryan Kelly

3 2.24%
  • Mason Plumlee

0 0%
  • Miles Plumlee

0 0%
  • Jon Scheyer

2 1.49%
  • Kyle Singler

19 14.18%
  • Nolan Smith

100 74.63%
  • Lance Thomas

1 0.75%
  • Brian Zoubek

8 5.97%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Man of the Match vs. NC State

Who was the Man of the Match against NC State? Be nice.

LOL @ the Dawkins vote. Andre, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    LOL @ the Dawkins vote. Andre, is that you?
    He missed the least shots.

But seriously, I hate to see that he hasn't hit a 3 in the last 6 games. He's only attempted 8 and we've gone away from him on offense, which is too bad because Singler has been ice cold in that same period from 3. More posting up for Singler, less dribbling.

Nolan has been our best player overall the last few games (most consistent).

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    He missed the least shots.

But seriously, I hate to see that he hasn't hit a 3 in the last 6 games. He's only attempted 8 and we've gone away from him on offense, which is too bad because Singler has been ice cold in that same period from 3. More posting up for Singler, less dribbling.

Nolan has been our best player overall the last few games (most consistent).
    The 3-pt shooting as a team has suffered in January. Tonight was better (38.5%), but Singler and Dawkins have lost their stroke and Scheyer hadn't shot well from deep prior to tonight. Hopefully it's just a brief slump and we'll start turning it up in February and March.

I wish Jordan, Steve or Casey would have been included in the pool of choices.

6. I voted Nolan though Singler is a close runner-up.

Even though Singler didn't shoot particularly well he was a warrior driving to the paint and getting foul shots.

But I voted Nolan because so far this season he has been our most consistent player offensively. I have to say I didn't expect that going into the season.

I believe that all of the men of the match were wearing white and red uniforms, unfortunately.

I voted for Kyle. While Nolan made a lot of great drives he shot 50% whilch does not warrant huge props. Solid game? Yes, but I think Kyle's defence was superior and he made strides toward comeing out of his funk.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    I voted for Kyle. While Nolan made a lot of great drives he shot 50% whilch does not warrant huge props. Solid game? Yes, but I think Kyle's defence was superior and he made strides toward comeing out of his funk.
    50% does not warrant huge props? Are you kidding?
    That is outstanding for a guard!
    Kyle was 6-16 (37.5%).
    I guess I don't understand how you can criticize 50% and say that Kyle is coming out of his slump while shooting 37.5%.

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    Kyle was 6-16 (37.5%).
    I guess I don't understand how you can criticize 50% and say that Kyle is coming out of his slump while shooting 37.5%.
    Well said. Very well said. Don't take Nolan for granted. Every Duke fan seems to do so. I have no idea why...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

i voted for no one. no one worth voting for IMO

Nolan gets the vote for being productive and pretty efficient offensively, making half of his shots. Scheyer and Singler ended up being productive, but they weren't efficient, going a combined 11 for 30. I did not mention defense because no one really played much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Well said. Very well said. Don't take Nolan for granted. Every Duke fan seems to do so. I have no idea why...
    yes you do! Fans are fans for different reasons, doesn't necessarily mean they are being objective.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I don't think anyone is taking Nolan for granted. But there is more to basketball than hitting half your shots. Last night, the drive-and-kick aspect of Nolan's game disappeared. If he is not driving and kicking, if he is playing with his head down, he's not helping the team nearly as much as he needs to be. Duke's three perimeter players need to moving in concert with one another at all times. That's what generates chemistry on this team. Nolan had made HUGE progress in this area during December and early January. Last night was a big step back.

I voted for Nolan. Both he and Singler played all 40 minutes, so there is that. Also I thought Nolan played with more fluidity and seemed to maybe be seeing the court better than past games. Or at least, he didn't seem to have his mind made up what he was going to do with the ball so much before he got it.

Not that the offense ever looked that in sync, especially early in the game, but I thought for the most part, it looked less out of sync when Nolan had the ball.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I don't think anyone is taking Nolan for granted. But there is more to basketball than hitting half your shots. Last night, the drive-and-kick aspect of Nolan's game disappeared. If he is not driving and kicking, if he is playing with his head down, he's not helping the team nearly as much as he needs to be. Duke's three perimeter players need to moving in concert with one another at all times. That's what generates chemistry on this team. Nolan had made HUGE progress in this area during December and early January. Last night was a big step back.
    Yes, everyone could've played better, but among all the players in that game is Nolan really the one most deserving of criticism? Even among the Big 3? Of Singler, Scheyer and Smith, I thought Smith was closest to having a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Is it possible he was looking to dish less because the other guys weren't hitting their shots? It seems like he was trying to score more while others were having trouble scoring. That sounds like a good plan to me.

Is it possible he was looking to dish less because the other guys weren't hitting their shots? It seems like he was trying to score more while others were having trouble scoring. That sounds like a good plan to me.
    I agree. Smith did end up tied for the team lead in assists, so it's not like he was any worse about distributing off the dribble than Scheyer or Singler.

I utlimately voted for Singler, because he ended up being the leading scorer and had a good defensive effort in limiting Wood's open looks. But I certainly wouldn't have singled Smith out specifically for not generating offense for others.

I agree that the offense is better when the big three are moving in concert and the ball is moving well. But for whatever reason, that wasn't happening, and it was evident with all three of the big three. I'll credit NC State's defense some for that.

I dunno. I sort of think Nolan saw a team in a funk and decided that it was important to try to step up and score via drive to generate momentum--hence, no "kick." I had no problem with that under the circumstances.
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    Kyle was 6-16 (37.5%).
    No it doesn'twarrent huge props. It's what is expected, solid. And I did not criticize anyone, not did I say Kyle is coming out of his slump, I said he made strides in that direction, i.e. he played better than before and in a style that helps the team more IMHO.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    Yes, everyone could've played better, but among all the players in that game is Nolan really the one most deserving of criticism? Even among the Big 3? Of Singler, Scheyer and Smith, I thought Smith was closest to having a good game.
    I think Jumbo only mentioned Smith in response to my discussion with 94duke. I am sure we could all find things to pick apart in the game played by every individual on the team. It was truly a team loss. So while they all had issues I thought Kyle was trending up whereas everyone else was trending down (with the possible exception of Zoubeck who played about the same.) Is that more clear?
    The Gordog