Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Australian Open 2010

Anyone watching this yet? I have been staying up late this week, and had just happened to notice around 2:50 AM that the Dementieva / Henin match was starting in 10 minutes. Anyway, it's on ESPN360 for free.

The first set was great to watch! (second game went to about Deuce # 9) Some fun points all around by both players.

Henin looks pretty confident since un-retiring in September, although she's had quite a few double faults. Still, there's definitely a bit of power on her small frame to go along with some finesse. I've been rooting for her for about four years now, so it'd be nice if she made a good run here in Melbourne.

Anyway, I've love to watch the whole thing, but I fear I must go to sleep at some point. Still, I'm glad it's grand slam time again.

I usually watch in the later stages when the big names are left, and the surprise players have advanced. Can't say much now except scratch my head and wonder what has happened to Maria Sharapova?

Federer

The greatest tennis player who ever lived and a nice guy is always fun to watch. Almost always hits a few shots a match that have you shaking your head.

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    The greatest tennis player who ever lived and a nice guy is always fun to watch. Almost always hits a few shots a match that have you shaking your head.
    Yeah I was able to catch the 3rd set of his second round just now.

Interesting interview on the court after the game - we got to learn how often he changes diapers and how he addresses British royalty, haha.

Watching my girl Henin right now vs. Kleybanova on Espn360. I actually came in when it was 6-3, 2-1 adv. Kleybanova. I then watched her go up 3-1 and Henin down 0-30 on her serve. I absolutely agree with the announcer who said that was a turning point of the second set, as she just won it 6-4. Should be a fun 3rd set to watch, as the crowd is much more into it (and apparently about 10x as big as it was at the beginning of the match).

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Watching my girl Henin right now vs. Kleybanova on Espn360. I actually came in when it was 6-3, 2-1 adv. Kleybanova. I then watched her go up 3-1 and Henin down 0-30 on her serve. I absolutely agree with the announcer who said that was a turning point of the second set, as she just won it 6-4. Should be a fun 3rd set to watch, as the crowd is much more into it (and apparently about 10x as big as it was at the beginning of the match).
    And the feed disappeared after the two hour mark, so all I get to watch is Henin go up 3-0 in the third set. Oh well, time to switch to the Roddick match.

Watched the Davydenko-Verdasco match and I really thought that the momentum had swung back to Verdasco in that 4th set. That rally right before set point (IIRC) was pretty crazy - I thought it would crush Davydenko's spirits. But I guess not.

Tuned in to the Tsonga-Almagro match in the 3rd set and boy did I come in at the right time. Apparently after the first two sets it looked like Tsonga would steamroll the rest of the way, but the last three sets (5th ended 9-7) made one of those matches where you wished both could win. If only Amagro had brought his game the first two, would have been interesting, because he definitely has a nice forehand that he can really place deep in the court and also a surprisingly good one-handed backhand.

Tuned in to the Tsonga-Almagro match in the 3rd set and boy did I come in at the right time. Apparently after the first two sets it looked like Tsonga would steamroll the rest of the way, but the last three sets (5th ended 9-7) made one of those matches where you wished both could win. If only Amagro had brought his game the first two, would have been interesting, because he definitely has a nice forehand that he can really place deep in the court and also a surprisingly good one-handed backhand.
    That was an incredible match. I started watching about the same time. I couldn't decide who I wanted to win but was glad when someone finally did so that I could get some more sleep.

Last American left

Anybody see Andy Roddick's match with Gonzalez in the round of 16. It was a hard fought battle till the 5th set when Gonzo ran out of steam. Good perseverance by Roddick as he moves into the quarterfinals. I believe he will face Cilic.

commentary

Anyone notice how intelligent the commentary is especially Cahill and McEnroe it is really much better than anything in football and basketball IMHO.

It does occur to me that it really is a too hot to hold a Major there that time of year. They have been pretty lucky with the weather so far but sometimes it can look like the players are just trying to survive and the tennis level suffers. They have had court temps well over 100 in the past.

I was hoping to watch the Henin-Petrova match, but ESPN360 seems to have no more tennis as of now. Anyone else able to find it somewhere?

It appears Henin broke and went up 4-2, but I guess Petrova broke back (no mountain intended) to make it 4-4 now.

I've been watching Murray beat the crap out of Nadal. It's 6-3,7-6, 2-0 right now.

And yes, I live on East Coast...

Update: Nadal pulled out due to his knee after 3-0 in the third set, but that does nothing to discredit Murray, because he definitely brought his A game and was willing to change things up a little in order to put pressure on Nadal.
    Last edited by snowdenscold; 01-26-2010 at 06:44 AM.

I've been watching Murray beat the crap out of Nadal. It's 6-3,7-6, 2-0 right now.

And yes, I live on East Coast...

Update: Nadal pulled out due to his knee after 3-0 in the third set, but that does nothing to discredit Murray, because he definitely brought his A game and was willing to change things up a little in order to put pressure on Nadal.
    Thanks for the update. I went back to sleep after the Roddick/Cilic match.

nadal

Is Nadal washed up at 23? I think he can still recover and be a force on clay though maybe not this year but I think his chance at #1 may never come around again. In his last 11 matches against top ten players he is 1-11.

Is Nadal washed up at 23? I think he can still recover and be a force on clay though maybe not this year but I think his chance at #1 may never come around again. In his last 11 matches against top ten players he is 1-11.

Wouldn't that be tragic? I don't know if he's washed up, or if he just hasn't taken the time necessary to really heal. Maybe he'll take off some real time and come back and be a force again.

In his last 11 matches against top ten players he is 1-11.
    Wow, that is impossibly bad, assuming did win one

Wow just watched the V. Williams / Li Na match. Venus was up 6-2, 5-3 and two points away from the match when the come back started. Anyway, after 2 hours and 47 minutes (almost over in half that time) Na Li pulled away to bring two Chinese into the semis for the first time ever, I believe.

Anyone watching the Serena match on now. She looked just pathetic to start, going down 6-4, 4-0. Yet now she's fired off five straight games. Just when I was getting ready to watch Federer too...

I wish they would make the players stop the stupid sound effects every time they hit the ball. I find it very annoying. I couldn't decide whose noise was worse - S. Williams or Azarenka.