Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interview with Roy-Better than Jon Stewart AND Colbert

If Roy's teaching and directions in practice are anything like his thought process in this interview it is no wonder the young team is struggling, dadgum it!

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/939211.html

Have at it guys...

"I have more desire in my little finger than all of the dadgum Carolina fans in the world."

What an endearing character Ol' Roy is.

And he said, ‘Coach, I don’t know what to do.’ ‘Well, whose fault is that – mine or yours? This is practice No. 53, son
    ...way to lay it all out there on the radio Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Seriously. You recruited the kid, Roy. You put together the system, you taught him the system, and you called the play. Whose fault do you *think* it is?

Wow. Between his phony "daggums," and his tossing-under-the-bus of his players and fans, I am not sure which is more eye-opening.

I must say, there was very little insight deliberately given by Roy over his teams slump. I guess we can infer from his comments what the problem really is.
    Anyways, this guy tries to play the humble country bumpkin card more than Brett Favre.

Only one 3rd person reference!!???

There is the problem. He doesn't love himself as much as he has in the past. Or maybe when the wins start coming back, he'll give us more 3rd person.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Don't the grad students pretty much have to make a sign to hold up if Strickland goes to the line that reads, "Just like practice #53"?

dragging himself into the conversation

so coach Smith thought he took loses too hard as an asst. coach and even more as a head coach. i bet he's the only coach ever who feels that way. He has to highlight himself in everything he does, he really covets the limelight and being responsible for everything he touches. I read a short article in the local paper a year or so ago about Roy and his golfing buddy's, one of the guys said " Roy has to pick the course, the time to play and who will be playing with who". I will give him credit for being a competitor but what coach isn't, i'll take the one we've got, the one who has some class, of all the things Roy covets, its the one thing he doesn't have. And please quit mentioning your players to make you seem better.

Good chance Tarheel practice sessions aren't much fun these days. Things aren't going well, and Roy is pretty quick to pass along the blame. Not sure which players are the leaders there, either.

May be a few more bumps in the road.

I had no idea...

I had no idea Roy was truly like this. If I were a recruit considering going to UNC, I wouldn't want such a ... as a coach. Wow. I never knew he really is like that. I would never want to be coached by such a whiner---and I don't care which school he is the coach of.

ricks
    Last edited by -jk; 01-20-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: clarity

"I have no earthly idea if Ed will be able to practice tomorrow and I have no earthly idea if he’ll be able to go Wednesday night.”

Earthly? As opposed to?

"I’m not going to sit up here and say that the gods are against us because the stars aren’t lined up the right way and the moon is not shining as brightly or Roy’s wearing the wrong dadgum tie. How about some dadgum idiot saying something about how I’ve got to stop wearing a dadgum tie because it was the same color tie that we lost some other game. My God. What the crap – I didn’t wear a tie at the College of Charleston."

Burn this quote into your brain and then pull it out when a Hole fan tries to tell you that Coach K and this nutcase even belong in the same gym let alone the same breath.

"‘Okay, we’re going to get on the end line and we’re going to run 500 sprints.’ We ran a set play this morning in practice and I said, ‘Dexter, what are you doing?’ And he said, ‘Coach, I don’t know what to do.’ ‘Well, whose fault is that – mine or yours? This is practice No. 53, son.’

It's yours Roy. You have lost your mind and you can't teach them and you expect them to show up and run up and down the court like NBA players and just know how to compete at this high level without training. You better hire some assistant coaches who know how to do more than recruit if you are going to save face.

"All of those people that had negative things [to say], they haven’t invested anything. So I don’t get too caught up in that. It does irritate you sometimes… I have more desire in my little finger than all of the dadgum Carolina fans in the world."

That's it. Bash the players AND the fan base. That's helpful.

"I described it this way and it’s a little gross, but it’s like somebody reaches their hand and they grab your heart and pull it out and just shake it right in front of you. And that's what it is. It's my life."

Riiiight....

"I go home and I don’t go to bed and I don’t sleep and I watch the dadgum tape three or four different times, trying to figure it out, trying to change some things.'

Perhaps you should just sleep, because this method IS NOT working for you.

But the best part my friends on DBR is....

"Roy Williams Live" airs Monday evenings on Tar Heel Sports Network affiliates."

With Lie to Me and House out of new episodes I have found my Monday night entertainment!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Good chance Tarheel practice sessions aren't much fun these days. Things aren't going well, and Roy is pretty quick to pass along the blame. Not sure which players are the leaders there, either.

May be a few more bumps in the road.
    I've always figured Roy is a pretty good coach and he certainly has a very good track record. I haven't followed him that closely, but I am very surprised at how often this year, he seems to be blaming his young team and not taking any of the blame himself. I don't know that I have heard many successful coaches do that and can't imagine K, Boeheim, Izzo, speaking like that. I agree with ricks68 that this would concern me if I was thinking of playing for a coach that tries to pump himself up and the team down if things aren't going well. For his sake, he may in the future have enough talent that it won't matter. For the majority on this board, hopefully it will matter.

Well if we didn't know before now, roy doesn't like criticism.
    I like how he went on a tirade about not getting caught up in the criticism, right after he went on and on about someone criticizing his tie.

I don't believe I have seen a coach with this much animosity toward his own fans before, I think that he really holds them in contempt...

And for a coach that has a team on the brink of a confidence implosion, not sure I would be calling kids out by name in the press for messing up in PRACTICE!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Well if we didn't know before now, roy doesn't like criticism.
    I like how he went on a tirade about not getting caught up in the criticism, right after he went on and on about someone criticizing his tie.

I don't believe I have seen a coach with this much animosity toward his own fans before, I think that he really holds them in contempt...

And for a coach that has a team on the brink of a confidence implosion, not sure I would be calling kids out by name in the press for messing up in PRACTICE!!
    Can you blame him?

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Wow. Roy doesn't sound very healthy mentally. He has been showing signs of unraveling. The country bumpkin is slipping off into a Coke a cola induced haze while an insecure, twitchy egomaniac rises to the powder blue forefront of smurf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Wow. Roy doesn't sound very healthy mentally. He has been showing signs of unraveling. The country bumpkin is slipping off into a Coke a cola induced haze while an insecure, twitchy egomaniac rises to the powder blue forefront of smurf ball.
    I think it must be the pain meds. Or, rather, I think the meds are probably exacerbating some underlying mental issues for Roy. Seriously.

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post

He's becoming Captain Queeg from "The Caine Mutiny", except far less sympathetic.

When will we see Roy's next "Kanye" moment?

Lightbulb Self-absorbtion ...narcissism

He appears so self-absorbed that it borders on narcissism.
    Must have endured some very deep hurts earlier in his life...perhaps the lack of appreciation (certainly shortsighted in retrospect) for his coaching which nearly retired him before the Kansas job was secured through Smith's devoted effort.

Given the excellence of his coaching over the last decades, he should be over any such feelings.

Best regards-- Blueprofessor

You know, every so often I'm forced to cleanse my pallet and think to myself, am I really glad I'm a Duke fan? Are there objective reasons to like this team over another, or am I just a homer?

Yes, yes there are.

This interview underlies everything I hate about Roy Williams, and by extension, that whole god forsaken pit. Roy might as well be teaching a class in poor leadership; what do these comments do but undermine confidence? How do these comments do any good? Why is he even trying to compare this group to last year's?

You know, when Duke was rebuilding (06-07), you never saw K act this way. They had some real tough spots, and the worst thing K ever said was listen, this team isn't the teams from the past, they have to build from the ground up. He recognized that Laettner, Battier, Redick and co. weren't on the court any more and he focused on the future. He did the responsible thing and stuck up for his players. I think it's fair to say that class (today's seniors) has blossomed nicely because of it.

You can't take away Roy's two championships. God knows he's probably the best recruiter in the nation this side of Calimari. You can look at him and realize he's a classless buffoon, and an embarrassment to everyone with an ounce of perspective.