Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Cutcliffe Staying! (Happy thread title change)

This has been thrown out there on ESPN today in light of Lane Kiffin to USC. Any indicators one way or another? He would likely have a pretty big buyout, but UT could handle it, right?
    Last edited by Jumbo; 01-15-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Got rid of icon!

According to local TV reports Coach Cut has not been contacted yet.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    This has been thrown out there on ESPN today in light of Lane Kiffin to USC. Any indicators one way or another? He would likely have a pretty big buyout, but UT could handle it, right?
    A buyout might have been added with the extension. Original contract may not have had one at all.

Whatever it may be, UT can handle it, if they want to.

Think Cut Stays

It seems to me that when the Utenn AD fired Fullmer he wanted to go in a different direction. I don't think Cut was in the mix when Kiffen was hired.

Of course if the AD is canned and Fullmer hired as AD then I would see Cut getting a call.

SoCal

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    It seems to me that when the Utenn AD fired Fullmer he wanted to go in a different direction. I don't think Cut was in the mix when Kiffen was hired.

Of course if the AD is canned and Fullmer hired as AD then I would see Cut getting a call.

SoCal
    He's getting the call no matter who the AD is. All we can do is see how he answers the phone.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He's getting the call no matter who the AD is. All we can do is see how he answers the phone.
    Talking to Tennessee fans, I don't think that they appreciate Cutcliffe nearly as much as they should. I don't think we have anything to worry about, knock on wood. I predict they give Muschamp enough money to decide that he doesn't want to wait around for Mack Brown to retire.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stealth View Post
    Talking to Tennessee fans, I don't think that they appreciate Cutcliffe nearly as much as they should. I don't think we have anything to worry about, knock on wood. I predict they give Muschamp enough money to decide that he doesn't want to wait around for Mack Brown to retire.
    From what I've read..Muschamp has already turned them down. UT will press him hard I'm sure, but I think he is staying with the Longhorns.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It's looking uglier and uglier for Duke as the night goes on.

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I am guilty of wishful thinking.

SoCal

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/viewt...p=49998#p49998
    Nothing official..but it's there.

Joe Schad, the ESPN reporter that broke the Kiffin-to-USC story on Twitter, just said on Sportscenter that Muschamp is UT's first choice, but Cutcliffe could be a "second choice" if they can't get Muschamp.

Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post
    Joe Schad, the ESPN reporter that broke the Kiffin-to-USC story on Twitter, just said on Sportscenter that Muschamp is UT's first choice, but Cutcliffe could be a "second choice" if they can't get Muschamp.
    That's pretty much the gist of it ... except for the "could be" part ... and there are now published reports saying Muschamp is staying put.

if cut leaves i may give up on Duke football...

Is it time for a "Keep the Coach" campaign, along the same lines as when Coach K was being considered for the Lakers job?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Is it time for a "Keep the Coach" campaign, along the same lines as when Coach K was being considered for the Lakers job?
    Can some undergrad write another emotional and moving letter, this time to Coach Cut?

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    if cut leaves i may give up on Duke football...
    OK...but you'll miss out on a great future. Cutcliffe is to be credited for what he has done on the field and off..but if he does leave, what he has started off the field won't change. I have no doubt that the athletic department will continue the excellence he has inspired, and that includes what goes on inside the gates of Wallace Wade as well as those of us who celebrate on Devil's Alley. Kevin White will, IF HE NEEDS TO, find a replacement who is just as determined to continue what Cutcliffe has started as Cutcliffe is himself..in fact it would not surprise me if the job goes to a current staff member. I hate writing posts like this, because there is too much unknown, but I will say I'm not worried. Due to a bizarre set of circumstances, David Cutcliffe has facing him the one job that would pull him away from Duke, only a year after he said he wasn't interested. Nobody expected the chance to come back up so soon, and if Tennessee is smart, and hires Fulmer as AD, power to him. Even if they retain their current moron of an AD, power to Cutcliffe. He has proven he can make a difference, and like Duke did two years ago, Tennessee needs something different now. I hope DC decides his job isn't done here, but if he does, I have no ill will. I've enjoyed Duke football more in the last two years than I can remember in a long time, and I go to games when I know misery awaits. If he's gone, and you take your fandom with him, fine. Don't come back. We are still dedicated to making football something special at Duke University and you will miss out.

I have no doubt that the success may continue.

The larger problem, as stated on TDD tonight, is that as a fan I will have a very hard time trusting any coach again. Cut seems like the most genuine and honest coaches I have ever "met" (ok, I havent met him but you know what I mean). I would be so dissappointed and always worried about success making us lose a coach... and never completely trusting a coach's dedication to the program, no matter the amount of sunshine and rainbows he throws at us as fans.

I am a loyal Duke football season ticket holder. All I want is to trust that we can hold a successful caoch

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    I have no doubt that the success may continue.

The larger problem, as stated on TDD tonight, is that as a fan I will have a very hard time trusting any coach again. Cut seems like the most genuine and honest coaches I have ever "met" (ok, I havent met him but you know what I mean). I would be so dissappointed and always worried about success making us lose a coach... and never completely trusting a coach's dedication to the program, no matter the amount of sunshine and rainbows he throws at us as fans.

I am a loyal Duke football season ticket holder. All I want is to trust that we can hold a successful caoch
    I hear you there. As I stated...it's THE ONE set of circumstances that nobody could foresee, and the one set of circumstances that could pull him away. Even if the coach of Alabama woke up dead tomorrow and they called on Cut tomorrow to replace him, I'd see him saying "Thanks, but no, see you guys in September".

The Silence is Deafening...

Hi,

I would like to hear something form Coach Cut even a "I haven't made a decision," but this silence makes me think a deal is in the works. As far as a coach staying for years and years, I just don't think that is the landscape. We can hope for a coach to come move the program along and then get another one to move it further and so on. I think the days of having a coach stay for years and years a la Coach Patterno are over. Then again, if Coach Cut leaves now it would sort of be like, "bye Coach, we hardly knew you."

GO DUKE!

Angry Wait a minute guys! As they say in Monty Python, "I'm Not Dead Yet!!"

Hold on gang!

First, Cut hasn't been approached, and nobody in any authority at Tenn has even indicated he'd be even considered.

Second, I take him at face-value -- a high character guy with a vision for Duke football. Loyalty matters to him.

Three, the Administration has done largely everything he's asked for, which also creates loyalty, beyond just the players themselves.

Don't go handwringing and talking about "who will be the next coach," as odds are pretty good Coach Cut will once again be prowling the Duke sidelines this Fall. And with an enhanced image.

And maybe his contacts in SEC-land can help us bring in 1-2 of the Tenn-defecting kids as well. I note that several of the kids we are/did target had Tenn on their lists too...

I have faith in Cut and his staff.