361. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

175 48.48%
  • No

186 51.52%
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Retire Scheyer?

Retire Scheyer?

Assuming Scheyer keeps playing the way he has, is he worthy of having his number retired? I know it is early, but it seems that we would meet all the requirements (graduation, potential all American status, potential school record with season assist / turnover)
    What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot View Post
    Assuming Scheyer keeps playing the way he has, is he worthy of having his number retired? I know it is early, but it seems that we would meet all the requirements (graduation, potential all American status, potential school record with season assist / turnover)
    What do you guys think?
    Personally, I'd rather just appreciate the way he's playing and worry about this sort of thing after the season. Which is a long way off. But possibly that's just me.

I'd like to see a long run in March and he gets a ring.
    ~rthomas

Retire Scheyer?

No, I think we should let him play the rest of the year.

Not unless he wins National Player of the Year and/or leads the team to a national championship. There are a number of Duke greats who don't have their numbers retired, including three guys who topped 2,000 points (Alarie, Banks, Spanarkel).

Scheyer is having a great senior season to cap a very solid Duke career. But unless the team has a great March/April AND Scheyer continues his phenomenal start individually, I just don't see him getting his jersey retired.

But that's not a discredit to Scheyer. It's just a credit to the great careers of the guys whose numbers are retired. I agree with the poster who said let's just enjoy Scheyer's season as is.

No Gene Banks then No Jon Scheyer. He MUST lead us to a championship before I consider it. That is that.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Not unless he wins National Player of the Year and/or leads the team to a national championship. There are a number of Duke greats who don't have their numbers retired, including three guys who topped 2,000 points (Alarie, Banks, Spanarkel).

Scheyer is having a great senior season to cap a very solid Duke career. But unless the team has a great March/April AND Scheyer continues his phenomenal start individually, I just don't see him getting his jersey retired.

But that's not a discredit to Scheyer. It's just a credit to the great careers of the guys whose numbers are retired. I agree with the poster who said let's just enjoy Scheyer's season as is.
    I'm pretty sure that Duke has standard qualifications that must be met before a jersey can be retired. IIRC, when JJ and Shelden were being considered for the honor, they said that it was automatic if a player is voted national player of the year or defensive player of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by 91_92_01 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Duke has standard qualifications that must be met before a jersey can be retired. IIRC, when JJ and Shelden were being considered for the honor, they said that it was automatic if a player is voted national player of the year or defensive player of the year.
    Nothing is automatic. Tommy Amaker, Billy King, and Wojo all won national defensive player of the year, and you won't ever see any of their jerseys in the rafters (well, Amaker's number is up there, but not because he wore it).

One of the intangible qualifications which is shared by the Duke players whose numbers are retired is program changing influence.

I love watching Jon play and think he's a premier player, but I'm not sure that he's significantly changed the Duke program.... yet.

At this point, if any player's number were to be retired, it would be Gene Banks who was overlooked earlier.

As for being automatic, retiring a number at Duke is anything but that. For many years Eddie Cameron would not agree to any retirement other than Dick Groat's number. In recent years the qualifications have become more nearly consistent, there's no automatic selection.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    Retire Scheyer?

No, I think we should let him play the rest of the year.
    My thoughts exactly!

Coach K recently mentioned the retirement requirements, I think on last week's TV show. NPOY or NDPOY are among the requirements, as is graduation (paging Elton Brand, paging Elton Brand). The show was a retrospective and had a segment on retired jerseys - he wasn't talking about any current players.

Once a player is in the Hall of Honor, and Banks, Alarie and Spanarkel are, supposedly you can't/won't have your jersey retired. I still wish Dunleavy had stayed for his senior year so there could have been a "double" #34 ceremony for him and Jimmy.

After last night's game, I'm starting to think Jon Scheyer may just get his NPOY. I sure hope so because it would mean great things for this Duke team!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Nothing is automatic. Tommy Amaker, Billy King, and Wojo all won national defensive player of the year, and you won't ever see any of their jerseys in the rafters (well, Amaker's number is up there, but not because he wore it).
    msdukie sounds like he knows what he's talking about here:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...1&postcount=19

Incidentally, that thread was eventually shut down by Jumbo:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...1&postcount=23
    Last edited by 91_92_01_10_15; 01-07-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling

If you want to get a sense of the stature of players whose numbers are retired, take a few minutes to look at the pictures of the members of the Duke Hall of Fame.

Absolutely!!!! (Even if he is "alarmingly unathletic").

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Absolutely!!!! (Even if he is "alarmingly unathletic").
    you're alarming unathletic. I predict a scheyer breakaway dunk during the month of January, just like JJ did.

From my understanding, graduation isn't the requirement, the requirement is that the player earned their degree...so for instance if G won NPOY last year, and then got his degree down the road, he could possibly retired

maybe i'm wrong, but that's how I've read K quoted
    1200. DDMF.

No chance. Scheyer's career has not been as good as Mark Alarie, Gene Banks, Jim Spanarkel, or Jack Marin, and they're not up there either. Forget it.

If it doesn't retire, I believe Seth is going to take it next season. What are your thoughts on that? I think it could be too soon.

Scheyer has never even been to the Final Four. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    If it doesn't retire, I believe Seth is going to take it next season. What are your thoughts on that? I think it could be too soon.
    Too soon for what? He's still alive as far as I know. Your claim on your number, if you even have a claim, ends when you leave school.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com