Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC

    Nolan Smith: The Big Leap

    08-09
    8.4 pts
    1.7 assists
    1.05 a/to
    34.6 3pt%

    09-10
    17.4 ppg
    3.7 apg
    2.36 a/to
    48.6 3pt%

    I remember when people were talking about how Nolan HAD to step up this season for us to be a better team... well, I tried to tell you guys what was coming and quite frankly nobody wanted to jump on the Nolan Smith train with me.

    I realize ACC play hasn't started yet, but does anybody here really think Nolan is going to fall off significantly? The kid looks like a completely different player in sooooo many ways. Let's recognize the magnitude of this leap forward guys.

    To borrow from JE,

    Blue "If it weren't for Jon being so incredibly impressive so far, Nolan would be the story of the season" intheface

  2. #2
    I was not "on the band wagon" for Nolan at the beginning of the year, but I did say that "if" he had a breakout year we could be FF good. I was not sure if he would have that type of year, but it appears that he is well on his way. If he keeps it up, and Scheyer continues, and Singler steps up a little more... if, if and if... well watch out! I like what I have seen so far, but there is so much left, we have hardly even begun!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Without GP being on the floor, his numbers were going to improve regardless of whether he improved or not. That being said, I think he is doing very well and I love our backcourt.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  4. #4

    The only one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Nashville View Post
    Nolan's athleticism brought alot of energy to the court last year, and he deserved the starting role from the beginning. Nolan will not have to score 16 ppg in order for us to be successful. I look for him to definitely play a larger role in keeping our offense moving by generating steals, assists, and a floor general’s role of backing the play out and starting back up the offense.

    I have faith in Nolan, that he will show his experience, and truly show other teams that he "is a problem."


    Nolan has played great, we are a better team with Jon being the primary ball handler. I said Nolan would not have to score 16 pts a game for us to win...a s of right now he is scoring 18 pts and we are killing the competition.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    well, I tried to tell you guys what was coming and quite frankly nobody wanted to jump on the Nolan Smith train with me.
    Really? I can't think of anyone who DIDN'T expect a big season out of Nolan Smith this year.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Really? I can't think of anyone who DIDN'T expect a big season out of Nolan Smith this year.
    Well, I should eat some crow here. I thought he'd have a good season, but not nearly as good as he is playing right now. There was some thread where I said I would take a bet that he wouldn't average more than something like 14ppg, which I thought was reasonable given that he would be a 3rd scoring option and that is about where Jon was last year.

    The improvement on his jumpshot and the move to constant "attack mode" is clearly paying off, and this is some crow that I am more than happy to eat!

    (And btw Blueintheface, you chimed in on that thread and pegged your prediction around 15ppg, if I recall correctly, so let's not pat yourself on the back too hard.)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

    Yummm... crow

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Well, I should eat some crow here. I thought he'd have a good season, but not nearly as good as he is playing right now. There was some thread where I said I would take a bet that he wouldn't average more than something like 14ppg, which I thought was reasonable given that he would be a 3rd scoring option and that is about where Jon was last year.

    The improvement on his jumpshot and the move to constant "attack mode" is clearly paying off, and this is some crow that I am more than happy to eat!

    (And btw Blueintheface, you chimed in on that thread and pegged your prediction around 15ppg, if I recall correctly, so let's not pat yourself on the back too hard.)
    I believe I was in agreement with you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    He seems to have improved his shot selection a lot since the beginning of the year as well; he's not throwing up those in-the-lane-float-and-clangers he was earlier. Definitely much better than last year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    I guess it depends on what you thought he could do. I know a few of us predicted >14.5 ppg and were poo-poo'd by many people. I think most of the nay-sayers were coming in around 12.5ppg. Who knows if he will keep up 18ppg, that is a lot of points. But, I think 15 or more is pretty likely. I love the way he is playing now with Jon. They are both setting each other up with drives and kicks to wide open shots. I hope that continues with tougher competition. (Also, if I were telling someone how to defend them, I would probably tell them not to help and make them finish, but I hope other teams don't do that).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Texas/NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Really? I can't think of anyone who DIDN'T expect a big season out of Nolan Smith this year.
    ...offseason threads. You know the routine.

  11. #11
    In our 3 biggest games so far, he's gone

    10-18 (Zaga) 55%
    5-17 (Wisconsin) 29%
    5-22 (UConn) 23%

    He's taken a tremendous step up, and hopefully we'll see those %'s closer to what they were in the Zaga game in our ACC/Tourney games this season.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inman, SC & Fort Myers, FL
    Smith is an indispensable part of the three S's. Or is it three esses? Or even three Amigos? The point is that he has moved up in the world, and I for one am happy to have him. I believe his Dad would be proud of what he has become.
    While we are still a bit away from it, I think we will end the season with 3S and 2P (no scatological jokes from you management types!)
    I think this team can go quite far. All the way? Maybe, but certainly to the elite eight. At that point, it is mostly luck.
    How long has it been since we could say ttat realistically?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Nolan is playing better all the time as his confidence and consistency improve.

    He is now shooting better than 50% on 3-Pt FG...21 for 40 for the year. Duke's outside shooting (and the quality of the shots...most of them open looks) has been excellent. Can we do it against a good pressure defense from Clemson?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Baltimore
    I dont know about you guys, but I want to not just beat Clemson,I want to crush them (with a russian accent). As a fan, I remember how much that entire game stung last year. I will not forget it. And I guarantee you Kyle, Jon, Lance, Nolan and the rest of our players from last year will be playing with an edge.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Allawah, NSW Australia (near Sydney)

    happy but still reserved

    Nolan is playing better and I'm happy to see that. But, as the original poster noted, ACC play hasn't started. We all know it doesn't make sense to try to evaluate until at least near the end of the first (now imperfect) round robin.

    If Nolan looks as good then as he does now, Duke will be Final Four good, for sure.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    In our 3 biggest games so far, he's gone

    10-18 (Zaga) 55%
    5-17 (Wisconsin) 29%
    5-22 (UConn) 23%

    He's taken a tremendous step up, and hopefully we'll see those %'s closer to what they were in the Zaga game in our ACC/Tourney games this season.
    It's already been mentioned but his shot selection has gotten a lot better than it was in Nov/early Dec. It doesn't matter the quality of the opponent when you can see Nolan is making good decisions with the ball and with his shooting. He was trying to do too much in those earlier games but seems to have settled into his role more and understanding how to be in "attack mode" while still playing within himself and playing smart basketball.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    08-09
    8.4 pts
    1.7 assists
    1.05 a/to
    34.6 3pt%

    09-10
    17.4 ppg
    3.7 apg
    2.36 a/to
    48.6 3pt%

    I remember when people were talking about how Nolan HAD to step up this season for us to be a better team... well, I tried to tell you guys what was coming and quite frankly nobody wanted to jump on the Nolan Smith train with me.

    I realize ACC play hasn't started yet, but does anybody here really think Nolan is going to fall off significantly? The kid looks like a completely different player in sooooo many ways. Let's recognize the magnitude of this leap forward guys.

    To borrow from JE,

    Blue "If it weren't for Jon being so incredibly impressive so far, Nolan would be the story of the season" intheface
    ugh.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I remember when people were talking about how Nolan HAD to step up this season for us to be a better team... well, I tried to tell you guys what was coming and quite frankly nobody wanted to jump on the Nolan Smith train with me.
    Ok, I'll concede I was in the camp of "Nolan's gotta step up, and I sure hope he will." My repeated comment off-season was that K would be saying to N: "No meek crap. You gotta play." Implicitly, that suggests I just didn't know whether he would. You "knew," I didn't. Gold medal to you [and I think some others], perhaps merely a bronze for me.

    But the more interesting point is, what's different in NS's game this season? Comments from K and maybe Collins are that they've been reminding NS that's he's a guard, not a point guard, and that he is best attacking rather than principally setting up others. Playing more freely seems to be just the ticket, as he both scores and sets up others. The other thing is that NS and JS both have been quoted as saying how they're comfortable with each other, how they know where each other will be, etc.

    So, to some extent the NS and JS stories this year are interdependent. They seem to think so, anyhow.

  19. With all the recent attention on Scheyer (four threads on the front page! though absolutely deserved), I'm beginning to wonder whether Nolan is too under the radar this season.

    Consider that he's done...
    - 18.5 points on 48% shooting (53% from 3)
    - 2.7 rebounds
    - 3.3 assists
    - 1.2 steals

    The bigger difference between this year and last year is not just the totals but the consistency in which Nolan has played. Nolan's lowest scoring game is 11 points when he played limited minutes (24) against Gardner Webb.

    Nolan has basically more than doubled the number of points and assists this season compared to last year...wow.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Nolan is scoring very creatively this season. I've been amazed at his hang-time and runners in the lane. Fun to watch. He's a handful for other teams to guard. Not many teams can matchup against three really good scorers on the perimeter.

    Super "Hope he sticks around for a senior campaign..." Dave

Similar Threads

  1. Nolan Smith Q & A
    By watzone in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 04:08 PM
  2. Nolan Smith!
    By dukestheheat in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 05:50 PM
  3. Nolan Smith ?
    By DukeBlood in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 03:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •