Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke Blue Planet Top 10

Plays of the decade. This one is really a countdown. And it's very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEE6S-hXVUg

Awesome video from DBP. I would like to see some of the highlights that didn't make the cut as well. I'm sure it was tough to narrow it down...

Loved the video except #4, Sorry but didn't think it was derserving of top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    What didn't you like about it, and what would you have put in its place?

-jk

Wow

Well, that was awesome...

Ya know, Shane Battier was a pretty decent basketball player...

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    What didn't you like about it, and what would you have put in its place?

-jk
    Good play, but you know what could've gone there? McClure's last second shot against Clemson. Perhaps the 30 seconds before that though could be ignored...

Agree that #4 wasn't quite as spectacular as the others on the list. I would have replaced it with Scheyer's heave to keep the ball in bounds last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFGd7NcZyBA

#1 is definitely my favorite play in recent memory, not just for the block which was completely clean and gave Garner absolutely no chance of even getting the ball up, but how Shane then casually flips the ball back to a teammate behind his back, allowing play to continue and ultimately leading to Dunleavy's third three. Amazing play!

By the way, this is kind of a pet peeve of mine, but I hate when a "top play" list actually include a series of plays as a single entry. I guess I should stop complaining...

Duke at its Best!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    By the way, this is kind of a pet peeve of mine, but I hate when a "top play" list actually include a series of plays as a single entry. I guess I should stop complaining...
    In theory, I guess, I agree with you. But I have never seen a 57 second play like the one Jason Williams put on at Maryland. The part where he steals the ball on the sideline, steps up and hits a 3 is fantastic enough. I liked having the whole sequence in there... and it would be hard to find 57 seconds more powerful than that!
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    Well, I love #4. I remember Coach K referring to it as an oput of body experience for Shane.

Another great and memorable play was Nate's fabulous tip in to beat Maryland in the ACC simis. The still photo of that is an all time great!

Wow - 2001 was a fun year!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Well, I love #4. I remember Coach K referring to it as an oput of body experience for Shane.

Another great and memorable play was Nate's fabulous tip in to beat Maryland in the ACC simis. The still photo of that is an all time great!

Wow - 2001 was a fun year!

I was about to post very similar thoughts. 2000/2001 was my formative (freshman) year as a Duke fan and these videos reveal just how magical it was.

I read the comments here before I watched the videos and was surprised that Shane's tip was the play being questioned. If you look at the angle of his body combined with the contact from the Arizona players, it is really a physically impressive play. Let's also not forget that the basket gave Duke a 2 possession lead in the final minutes of the national title game(!!!).

I was also very glad to see Shane's block on Joe Forte. I know that the scoreboard showed Duke ranked #2 and Carolina ranked #4, but (as I'm sure many remember) the situation was definitely more grave for Duke. Earlier that week, Duke had lost at home to Maryland on senior day and Boozer broke a bone in his foot. UNC was definitely favored at home in that contest. Shane's block was a huge moment-changer.

I don't want to downplay any of the efforts made on other plays, but the two that I might have left off were G's dunk against Maryland and the defensive play against Carolina. G's dunk was nasty with the body-twisting at the end, but I think he made more spectacular athletic plays in his time at Duke. I may have chosen one of his incredible help-side or transition blocks instead.

The defensive play against Carolina was clutch and I think that maybe it gets some extra credit because it was (sadly) the last time Duke beat Carolina in Cameron. However, (1) I would like to think that our coaches often prepare the players for the opposing teams go-to play and (2) Roy had run that play in several previous end-game situations. Anyway, the defense was critical, but I'm not sure it was extraordinary (unless we're now considering beating UNC at home extraordinary ).

I like the nomination of Nate's tip-in against Maryland. Nolan's dunk against Southern Illinois gets an honorable mention. If J-Will hit that free throw against Indiana, that 4-point play definitely makes the list. If only...

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I don't want to downplay any of the efforts made on other plays, but the two that I might have left off were G's dunk against Maryland and the defensive play against Carolina. G's dunk was nasty with the body-twisting at the end, but I think he made more spectacular athletic plays in his time at Duke. I may have chosen one of his incredible help-side or transition blocks instead.

The defensive play against Carolina was clutch and I think that maybe it gets some extra credit because it was (sadly) the last time Duke beat Carolina in Cameron. However, (1) I would like to think that our coaches often prepare the players for the opposing teams go-to play and (2) Roy had run that play in several previous end-game situations. Anyway, the defense was critical, but I'm not sure it was extraordinary (unless we're now considering beating UNC at home extraordinary ).
    I have to disagree with you on your opinion of both of those plays. G's dunk was extra special because it came immediately after Nolan Smith was hurt by that fat MD goon leaning into a hard pick. Watching the game, I felt actual anger when Nolan got hurt. And when G dunked that ball, I'll be honest... it felt really really good.

As for the 71-70 game, well, anyone who was there would tell you that was a really special moment. Trust me, it was extraordinary. I've been to some amazing sporting events, and that game is #1 for me (narrowly edging the Dockery game for my favorite in-person Duke game).

"I have to disagree with you on your opinion of both of those plays. G's dunk was extra special because it came immediately after Nolan Smith was hurt by that fat MD goon leaning into a hard pick. Watching the game, I felt actual anger when Nolan got hurt. And when G dunked that ball, I'll be honest... it felt really really good."

Good point. I'd forgotten that context.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by nyr484 View Post
    I have to disagree with you on your opinion of both of those plays. G's dunk was extra special because it came immediately after Nolan Smith was hurt by that fat MD goon leaning into a hard pick. Watching the game, I felt actual anger when Nolan got hurt. And when G dunked that ball, I'll be honest... it felt really really good.
    I agree completely. If you were to just see the play in itself, then it's not that special. However, if you remember the game and that Nolan got laid out on an illegal screen and G did that, it was a very big play. It sent a message of "You don't mess with us" to the Maryland team. I remember the fans were going crazy and after G's dunk, it got a lot quieter. It was a turning point in the game.

J-Will's performance in the 2nd half against USC in the 01 Sweet 16 is worth being in the top 10. However, everyone of those clips gave me goosebumps.

Quote Originally Posted by nyr484 View Post

As for the 71-70 game, well, anyone who was there would tell you that was a really special moment. Trust me, it was extraordinary. I've been to some amazing sporting events, and that game is #1 for me (narrowly edging the Dockery game for my favorite in-person Duke game).

You're certainly entitled to those opinions. Like I said in my post, 2000-01 was a formative year for me, and I'm sure that all posters have time periods that are special to them.

Right after G's dunk, Marlyand came back with (another) 3 to tie the game and we then traded baskets with them for the next few minutes (link). So I'm not sure that the dunk shifted the mood or momentum for Duke. But, again, reasonable opinons can differ.

I know that beating Carolina in Cameron is always special, so I wasn't trying to diminish that victory. I thought that both Carolina games were painful that year because Duke went on frustrating scoring droughts with late three-possession leads. The defensive play was more like a sigh of relief than the thrill of victory. It was great team defense though and, while unspectacular, it really epitomizes what makes Duke great.

Even though it didn't come at a critical point in a critical game, Jason's play against UVA in the champions clip on blueplanet.com is a pretty amazing play that I think could have made its way into this list, though it would be hard for me to take one of the plays out of it.

Its a little before halfway, right after the Battier block, if you watch the video.

Wow!

Glad I'm a Duke fan. Those plays brought back some great memories. Watched the 1992 Kentucky game today and have been fired up all day. Now looking at those games, really has me pumped. Go Duke!