Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Panther Fans

Panther Fans

i've still got a little spit-up in my mouth...even tho they won...should we just merge this with the redskins thread? they both seem very similar this season...

ugh..

we barely beat maybe the next to last bottom feeder in the league...

play calling? brutal...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i've still got a little spit-up in my mouth...even tho they won...should we just merge this with the redskins thread? they both seem very similar this season...

ugh..

we barely beat maybe the next to last bottom feeder in the league...

play calling? brutal...
    didn't watch the game but 65yds passing yards to go with 2 interceptions? ouch... though i suppose that's pretty typical of delhomme this year.

3. Been a Panthers fan my entire life, but never much of Delhomme fan (he seems like a really great guy who just makes really bad decisions over and over and over and...) After the debacle in the playoffs last year I decided to boycott watching the games until we made some effort to upgrade the QB spot, or at least find something like a backup. So far I've stuck to it and could not be happier with my decision. Sounds like the same old story: mindless run-up-the-middle playcalling, drives killed by Jake's bad decision-making, John Kasey saving the day when he can. Obviously the organization doesn't care what I think, but my Sundays have been much happier.

Me thinks it is time for Delhomme to go. I understand that Zack Asack is available on the free agent market...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Jake's a trainwreck at this point. Seems like a nice enough guy, but the Jake Delhomme era clearly jumped the shark against Arizona in the playoffs. He's not going to recover. He's been a big factor in the Panther's losses this season, and yesterday they had to overcome their own quarterback to win. Was anybody surprised at that pick he threw in the fourth quarter? There's no excuse for the organization to stand pat at that position this offseason.

On the bright side, Julius Peppers actually came to play for two weeks in a row! This should be something you expect from a highly paid professional athlete, but for JP, playing with effort and intensity is something new and exciting. Maybe he just needed that fat seven-figure-per-game paycheck to light a fire.

It's strange to feel this bummed after a win, but it is what it is. I'm a big Jake fan, but it's time for Jake to go back to the farm. Sadly, he seems to be the best option in order for the Panthers to be in a spot to get a "W"...or at least I have to assume that's what the people in the front office are betting on. I certainly hope they know more football than I do.

I just can't get behind Peppers. It's great when he has those 3 or 4 games a season where he shows up, but the rest of the time he puts more effort into laughing and chatting with the opposing players. I would have been fine with him walking after last season.

I didn't think the team as a whole played that badly. The defense held Tampa Bay to 7 points, and Pepp had two sacks as well as several key plays. In addition, "Double Trouble" ran for 230 yards and 3 TD's on that "mindless run up the middle offense," including an 8 minute, 14 play 4th quarter drive to win the game. If not for the INT and kickoff return, this would have been a 28-7 win.

The special teams were bad, with Wesley making an inexcuseable early hit on punt coverage, a missed FG (from 50+), and a kickoff TD return. However, everyone knew special teams would suffer b/c of the huge $ paid to Pepp and Jake this year. Jake was atrocious again, and seems to just be off this season. The only reason he's still playing is that the Panthers really have no better options on their roster.

Even with Jake, the Panthers were clearly the better team, and two big plays made a game that shouldn't have been close a bit of a nail biter. Then again, that's Panther football in a nutshell. They aren't called the "Cardiac Cats for nothing." Watching them is enough to give you a heart attack.
    "There can BE only one."

all the second guessing will sound kind of moot when they go to 13-3

Y'know, I love reading these football fan threads...seeing as how I'm still a Lions fan and (pathetically, I know) still happy over our one pitiful win a few weeks ago. I feel like the Little Match Girl with my one tiny light of cheer!

Someday I too will have a thread of my own with BlazinDW and BD80 and we will dance in Motown again!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    Been a Panthers fan my entire life, but never much of Delhomme fan (he seems like a really great guy who just makes really bad decisions over and over and over and...) After the debacle in the playoffs last year I decided to boycott watching the games until we made some effort to upgrade the QB spot, or at least find something like a backup. So far I've stuck to it and could not be happier with my decision. Sounds like the same old story: mindless run-up-the-middle playcalling, drives killed by Jake's bad decision-making, John Kasey saving the day when he can. Obviously the organization doesn't care what I think, but my Sundays have been much happier.
    You've been a Panthers fan "your entire life"? Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

11. Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    You've been a Panthers fan "your entire life"? Just out of curiosity, how old are you?
    I'm 31 and still have promotional Panthers gear from when they debuted while I was in high school. So I guess I've been a Panthers fan for their entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Y'know, I love reading these football fan threads...seeing as how I'm still a Lions fan and (pathetically, I know) still happy over our one pitiful win a few weeks ago. I feel like the Little Match Girl with my one tiny light of cheer!

Someday I too will have a thread of my own with BlazinDW and BD80 and we will dance in Motown again!!!!!
    Not this year, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. If we can get Suh or McCoy in the first round to anchor the defensive line, and take advantage of a deep draft class...

Oh wait, were you kidding???

My problem is that having been rewarded for sticking it out with the Steelers, I am loathe to give up on my adopted Lions. I was also rewarded for my devotion for to Blue Devil basketball, although I freely admit that I had absolutely no expectation they would ever be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    I'm 31 and still have promotional Panthers gear from when they debuted while I was in high school. So I guess I've been a Panthers fan for their entire life.
    Fair enough. When did they join the league, 1995-ish?

Panthers' first season was 1995.

I'm heartened by the two straight wins, but eventually we're going to have be able to complete a forward pass - preferably to one of our own players.

The schedule gets brutal after this weekend.

could they trade peppers for TO?

16. Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    could they trade peppers for TO?
    I'm actually very happy with the receivers we have. Smitty is great and I'm still glad to have Moose back. As mentioned, the problem is at QB and the new contract we gave Jake is just an albatross.

don't get me wrong...i love me some moose....but he is getting slow....having a legitimate threat like TO would take some of the heat off smitty...

and i still believe in jake....13-3 baby....13-3

18. Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    don't get me wrong...i love me some moose....but he is getting slow....having a legitimate threat like TO would take some of the heat off smitty...

and i still believe in jake....13-3 baby....13-3
    A great WR is always welcome, but I'd argue we have so many other areas that are so much worse right now, any major trades we make need to address those areas first. And as much as I've been disappointed with Pepp's attitude he's still one of our better pieces. If we want to trade him for 3-4 young guys with an eye to the future I might be on board. Trading him for another WR wouldn't necessarily improve the team very much, IMO.

I'd also argue that we probably don't need another combustible locker room personality . . .

So what do we do about this QB situation?

Clearly Jake has been horrible this season. He shows no signs of turning things around. You can't play a ball-control offense with a turnover machine at QB. Just doesn't work.

OTOH you only make a change if a change makes you better? Do A.J. Feeley or Matt Moore offer better alternatives?

Yesterday was brutal.

halloween

My brother has been wanting to recycle my nephew's Jake Delhomme costume and have my niece wear it this year. I suggested she wear the jersey and a bag over her head.