Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 113 Gardner-Webb 68- Post Game Thread

I mean, what can you really say?

Missed the game... what was the recepetion for Andre Dawkins like?

Just an outstanding team effort. I think we gave up a few too many points, but that's okay.

The end line-up with MP1, MP2, and R. Kelly on the floor was hilarious - it was a bunch of really tall, lanky guys jumping around - they must have gotten at least a half dozen tips and blocks in a couple of minutes.

Amazing!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Andre got a large cheer.

Jon turned in an amazing performance that deserves recognition, regardless of opponent.

That behind the back pass.... wow

Here is what the discussion can focus on: Did we see anything from the Plumlees? What I saw was getting lost a bit of defense, but some flashes of talent. Which might be what you expect. I really hope they don't get phased out of the rotation like Miles was last year. That would be awful. I'm not going to make any doomsday predictions like that right now - I'm just surprised Mason and Miles didn't play more.

Outstanding game , every one played a solid game . although I would of liked to see Mason do a little bit more , but I guess he is still trying to catch up from missing all that time . All I want for Christmas is for us to beat the Holes like that to. lol

Wow, when was the last time we put up 113? That was the best I've seen us play as a team in a very long time...I can't think of anyone who didn't have a good-great game. Mason and Miles in particular are looking good, though I agree Mason didn't play as much as I would have liked. It was great to see Zoubek play well as well.
    T '05, SOM '10

Nice to see Andre bounce back and have a good game after what he has gone through.

I'm not saying this only because of the game tonight, but it certainly provides an opportunity:

Duke's ceiling may be higher with other post players down the line, fine. But Zoubek has been earning his minutes and then some.

Zoubek has been playing quite unlike Zoubek of the old.

Somebody start a MOTM poll so I can vote for Jon Scheyer

Did Casey Peters get in the game?

If Scheyer had played the entire 40 minutes he would surely have had a triple double. A truly amazing performance, even if it was against weak competition. This guy is just such a skilled player in every single phase of the game.

Overall I felt like the defense was ok but was still lacking at times. Keeping in mind the team has been through exams, I did feel like our guys were slow to react on the rotations. This can't happen on Saturday.

Mason showed flashes of what we've been reading about. I really like how well he passes the ball. He is still figuring out his spots out there. It would be nice to see him hit the boards a bit harder. As can be expected from a freshman big, his helpside D needs work. This will come with experience of course.

It was great to see Dawkins not miss a beat tonight. He played just like he had in the other games. Miles and Mason both got some more playing time than normal, and that will be helpful against a Gonzaga team that has some very good size and athleticism. Zoubek had a very nice performance tonight, but I think we need the Plumlees to step up on Saturday.

Scheyer had another great performance. He has definitely become the best player on this year's team. He is a great passer and leader. I wish Nolan and Singler would have the same level of unselfishness. Kelly is an awesome passer and can get some loose balls and rebounds, but on the defensive side he was a liability tonight. I don't think we will be seeing him in close games for that reason.

ETA: Casey Peters did get in the game in the last minute or so. Steve Johnson didn't play though. Is he sick or injured?

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    It was great to see Dawkins not miss a beat tonight. He played just like he had in the other games. Miles and Mason both got some more playing time than normal, and that will be helpful against a Gonzaga team that has some very good size and athleticism. Zoubek had a very nice performance tonight, but I think we need the Plumlees to step up on Saturday.

Scheyer had another great performance. He has definitely become the best player on this year's team. He is a great passer and leader. I wish Nolan and Singler would have the same level of unselfishness. Kelly is an awesome passer and can get some loose balls and rebounds, but on the defensive side he was a liability tonight. I don't think we will be seeing him in close games for that reason.

ETA: Casey Peters did get in the game in the last minute or so. Steve Johnson didn't play though. Is he sick or injured?
    I was wondering because Singler played a lot with that hurt ankle. I was wondering why he wasn't subbed out for Olek, or Johnson, or Peters to get some rest, especially against Gardner-Webb.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy-own View Post
    Here is what the discussion can focus on: Did we see anything from the Plumlees? What I saw was getting lost a bit of defense, but some flashes of talent. Which might be what you expect. I really hope they don't get phased out of the rotation like Miles was last year. That would be awful. I'm not going to make any doomsday predictions like that right now - I'm just surprised Mason and Miles didn't play more.
    Really? K made an obvious effort to give all the bigs tons of burn. He especially had Kelly out there for quite a while probably because of how well Kelly was moving the ball on offense. There are only so many minutes in a game. I don't see how you could possibly quibble with the bigs' minutes tonight.

Scheyer was nearly flawless. That's the best summary for tonight.

The Plumlees have some nice moves on the offensive end. If they can get up to speed on D (positioning, hedging, not fouling) it's going to be quite a sight.

I agree on zoubek - he is really earning his minutes in 2009-2010.

Game Thoughts

In general, this game was about getting the rust off after the exams and trying various combinations and individuals.

What came across loud and clear is that Scheyer was ready to play and had a great game. You can say the competition was less than normal, but his game was just outstanding.

On the other hand, Singler looked rusty and perhaps the sore ankle limited his ability, but his game improved in the second half.

Dawkins showed more versatility offensively and played under control.

Zoubek got off to a slow start but seemed to be more determined as the game continued along. He had an outstanding second part of the game.

The Plumlees and Kelly all looked good offensively and Smith showed some flashes of speed getting to the basket.

I supposed to be expected with so many inexperienced players on the floor and many different combinations, the defense look raggedy with lots of open players and easy baskets off of cuts. A game like this shows why Thomas is valuable on defense. Having experienced quick players in there can take away some of the easy baskets that were given away. Czyz was in for a brief interval and seemed lost on defense. Too bad the kid can't show more.

I think coach K got what he wanted in team building from this game and clearly the talent is there. Scheyer certainly looks like the key player on the team at this stage of the season.

when did singler hurt his ankle?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy-own View Post
    LOL!!! 5th post after a game that saw a 40+ point drubbing, career highs for Jon Scheyer, and an impressive return from Dawkins and someone brings up playing time for the Plumlees!!! LMAO!!! This forum is a trip.