Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Yep, that's the joint that Turk described/linked a few months back. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but what are your favorite places for cheesesteaks, 77? Are the big names Pat's and Geno's good, or are there better choices?
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I have a 2nd cousin who live in Filly and she would not let me go to the above 2 places (tourist joints) and directed me to Jim's at 4th and South. Mighty fine.

Paging Turk...

That pork place that one of the other posters mentioned may also be the one Turk described a few months ago here or to me in a PM. Or, that could just be crazietalk...

Paging Turk...
    Best cheesesteak I've ever had, and DD agrees, is at Sami's Pizza in Selma, NC, on the southeast corner of I-95 exit #97. Jeff, the owner, is from Syracuse, NY. Sami is his son. They also have phenomenal lasagna and the pizza is first rate.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Good god am I hungry now after reading this thread. Definitely eating some barbeque next time I head to a restaurant. Hate to hijack the thread but, since you guys seem pretty knowledgeable, does anyone know a good place to get Peking Duck in the triangle area?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Best cheesesteak I've ever had, and DD agrees, is at Sami's Pizza in Selma, NC, on the southeast corner of I-95 exit #97. Jeff, the owner, is from Syracuse, NY. Sami is his son. They also have phenomenal lasagna and the pizza is first rate.
    I still can't believe this. We need to get a crazie crew of Philadelphians to come try it out. I just can't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I still can't believe this. We need to get a crazie crew of Philadelphians to come try it out. I just can't buy it.
    Pedro sez: You can't beat the food on I-95.

I'm a little skeptical, but Ozzie and devildeac seldom steer us wrong.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    With all due respect to Ozzie and DD, they has never been to Dalesandros. Year end and year out for decades, Philadelphians have declared Daleos the best or one of the best steaks in the area. There's no way a guy from Syracuse can make a better cheesesteak than Philly's best; and unless he's getting roles fresh everyday from Amoroso Bakery in Philadelphia, well then, there's just no basis for discussion.

I'm not making the drive to Selma, although if I am ever near there for some other reason, I'll check it out and report.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    With all due respect to Ozzie and DD, they has never been to Dalesandros. Year end and year out for decades, Philadelphians have declared Daleos the best or one of the best steaks in the area. There's no way a guy from Syracuse can make a better cheesesteak than Philly's best; and unless he's getting roles fresh everyday from Amoroso Bakery in Philadelphia, well then, there's just no basis for discussion.

I'm not making the drive to Selma, although if I am ever near there for some other reason, I'll check it out and report.
    Quoted for truth. The rolls make the cheesesteak.

The best cheesecake is at http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/. Anyone who has been there will agree.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeysgotagun View Post
    Good god am I hungry now after reading this thread. Definitely eating some barbeque next time I head to a restaurant. Hate to hijack the thread but, since you guys seem pretty knowledgeable, does anyone know a good place to get Peking Duck in the triangle area?
    This place has an unbelievable Tea-Smoked Duck.

http://redpalacenc.com/

If you've never had it, it's amazing. I'll look for a Peking Duck place.

Exclamation Help Mods!

This is sacrilegious. Duke vs. Kentucky is only about BBQ.

If this is allowed to continue, it will eventually lead to Stone Crabs.

Then, what is there left but to search for what is in-between?

Dumplings at the jiaotze dumpling restaurant in Xi'an? Bread pudding at the Mirage in Las Vegas, Palace Cafe in NOLA, or Indika's in Houston? Smoked Snook? Any real delicatessen food? 300 year old Balsamic vinegar over homemade ice cream? A Muffaletta sandwich from Central Grocery? Or, just about any half decent sampling from scores of restaurants in San Francisco (Gary Danko is my favorite only because I haven't eaten at all of them-------but then, I keep trying.)? Cioppino at Phil's Fish Market in Moss landing? Any sandwich from Compagno's Market and Deli in Monterey that you can split with 3 other people while stopped on the beach on 17 Mile Drive on the way to Pebble Beach? And what about including a Painkiller from Pusser's on Tortola or a Goombay Smash at the outdoor bar at the Atlantis next to the pyramid slide that Jason went down? Or, just about any kind of beer while sitting outside listening to the music in Luckenbach?

There's certainly more, but this is supposed to be only a BBQ thread. So, let's keep it that way, O.K.?

ricks

Original thread content

I have tried to get up early enough to get to Snow's before they will probably run out, but it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive for me and I haven't the guts to risk it, yet. I know I will find a way, eventually. But then, Kreuz Market is about 10 minutes closer, and I know I can make it there in plenty of time.

While strickly a Kreuz person (you are either a Kreuz person or a Black's person), I have to admit that the sausage rings at Chisholm Trail have been consistently better the past few years. (I'm sorry, but I just can't seem to be able to tolerate the cafeteria line, trays, plates, side dishes and utensils at Black's.) Smitty's stole the sausage maker guy (and the recipe) from Kreuz's before the move. Combine that with the original smokers that have been around forever (The place has been around just short of 110 years, now. Yes, I said 110 years!) and it's hard not to believe that the meat tastes just about the same as it did when it was Kreuz Market.

I think the one thing I got used to after moving to Texas almost 35 years ago, is that distance is just a state of mind. It's almost never too far to travel for good food. While the greatest Texas BBQ is just a few hours or so away, New Orleans is only about 6. Most of the rest is even a closer airline flight away---as long as it is in the continental US.

So, as far as NC BBQ is concerned, as I have said before, don't waste your time at the vastly inferior Allen & Son's because it is so close by. Take a short hour plus drive to Lexington #1 and get the coarse cut with some of the outside brown. Then, be really adventurous and take the trip to Asheville and hit 12 Bones in the River Arts District. Someone other than myself, and the latest that resides in the White House, has to try this place and report in. (That location is not open on Saturdays or Sundays, and only for lunch, so they opened another in south Asheville that is open also on Saturdays.) Get the ribs, too, with a number of sides. For 6 bucks a plate for pulled pork and two very large sides, add a few baby back ribs, and two of you can chow down with incredible tasting BBQ and sides. Now, I don't know if the second location is as good as the first, so try to hit it on a weekday. Also, they have mustard-based, vinegar-based, and tomato-based sauces available.) The mashed sweet taters, mack n cheese, corn pudding, and jalepeno cheese grits, along with the corn bread, are my favorite sides so far. The baby backed ribs have different flavored basting sauces, and are the reason for their high rating among BBQ aficionados. (That's what got them on Good Morning America just after they opened a few years ago.) Don't get overly critical about the pulled pork, however, as the ribs make that pale by comparison, and may be a major distraction. Oh, and don't mind the line that often gets really long just before noon. They have misters for the really hot days. I don't know if they have heaters for the winter, but I wouldn't put it past them.

http://www.12bones.com

ricks

As a relative youngin who has only ever been to Bullocks, what's the best Que near Duke (as in, Durham/Chapel Hell)? I like Bullocks and it's great for big groups, but at some point, I'd like to try something different from Bullocks.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    As a relative youngin who has only ever been to Bullocks, what's the best Que near Duke (as in, Durham/Chapel Hell)? I like Bullocks and it's great for big groups, but at some point, I'd like to try something different from Bullocks.
    Check allenmurray's post at the beginning of this thread. Backyard BBQ on Guess Rd. North of 85. Other people like The Pit on Davie St in Raleigh, but you better bring your wallet. If you're in downtown Raleigh and don't have a whole lot of money, stop by Cooper's BBQ. It's an old lunch counter and hasn't changed a bit since segregation days.

Another place I've never been before but my Dad has often frequented is Holden's BBQ just off 401 North of Raleigh. It's a hle in the wall off the highway, but you'll always see a bunch of tractor trailers, cop cars, and big trucks out front, so they must be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    Just start trying them and see what you like. I was introduced to BBQ in Texas and never saw the appeal until I came to NC. My mother-in-law was the complete opposite.

I think the closest place to you is the Q Shack. Take 751 South (Academy), take a left on Business 15-501 and it's on the right. My 4 year old loves it the 2 meat meal with fries and green beans. My vegetarian wife loves the salad and hush puppies.

After that you can check out Allen & Son's. Take 751 North to the circle. Do a 270 onto Old Erwin. Take a right onto Mt. Sinai and it's a few miles down the road where Mt. Sinai intersects with Old 86.

Now stop wasting time posting and get back to your finals!
    Last edited by hughgs; 12-09-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Clarification

Smile Phoenix Version - ???

This is probably for a later thread on national versions of BBQ.

I was visiting an industrial company in Phoenix and was invited to the noon "barbecue" they were holding for the employees out behind the plant.

Hmmm. I wonder what this will be?

Well, it was delicious carne asada -- flank steak sliced thin or flap meat charred with a peppery marinade. Served, of course, on flour tortillas with onions and japapenos available. I seem to recall beans and slaw as sides.

Don't know if this is a normal applciation of the term BBQ in the Valley of the Sun, but I'll be happy to join in the next time I'm invited.

sagegrouse

Quoted for truth. The rolls make the cheesesteak.

Come on down! I (and probably DD) will meet you there!
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Pedro sez: You can't beat the food on I-95.

I'm a little skeptical, but Ozzie and devildeac seldom steer us wrong.
    Thank you!
    Come on down! I (and probably DD) will meet you there!

I love a good roll for the sake of a good roll, but when it comes to cheesesteaks, I'm in it for the blend of flavors that the meat, cheese, peppers, onions, mushrooms, salt and pepper give me. I could care less about the roll, which is just a carrier. Not at Sami's, but I've been known to order the cheesesteak without the bread, if nothing else, to not get filled up by it.

Next time I'm in Philly (and it might be years, I have no idea), I'd love to try Dalesandros. I wish you guys would have piped up 18 months ago when I started a thread "where to eat cheesesteaks in Philly" when I was heading up there. I reviewed both Pats and Genos, neither of which I thought held a candle to Sami's, and boy, was I disappointed.

OK, my apologies to 77Devil. I just searched for the thread
    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...a+cheesesteaks
    and he DID make this recommendation
    Ozzie:

Forget Geno's and Pat's. They are for the tourists, although you will get a lot of debate among the locals. D'Alessandros is better. It's North of downtown near the corner of Henry Ave. and Walnut Lane if you can get there.
    Sorry I missed it and didn't take your recommendation! Mea culpa.

9F 9F 9F

BBQ -- Whole Foods

The Chapel Hill Whole Foods has an entire smoked meat hot bar that is worth checking out. They list the type of wood used in the smoker that day: hickory, cherry, mesquite, etc. There is always a big tray of juicy brisket along with a couple of varieties of pulled pork. They often have habanero smoked chicken wings and BBQ brisket burgers. They also sell whole smoked chickens for 7.99. My favorite side is the chipotle glazed sweet potatoes, and you can get traditional mac and cheese from the hot bar.

Everything I've had from the smoked bar is amazing, including Brunswick stew and brisket chili, which are full of meat smoked on the premises.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Next time I'm in Philly (and it might be years, I have no idea), I'd love to try Dalesandros. I wish you guys would have piped up 18 months ago when I started a thread "where to eat cheesesteaks in Philly" when I was heading up there. I reviewed both Pats and Genos, neither of which I thought held a candle to Sami's, and boy, was I disappointed.

OK, my apologies to 77Devil. I just searched for the thread
    http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...a+cheesesteaks
    and he DID make this recommendation
    Sorry I missed it and didn't take your recommendation! Mea culpa.
    No apologies necessary Ozzie, and when you come, let me know, and I'll take you.

No apologies necessary Ozzie, and when you come, let me know, and I'll take you.
    Deal!

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    If you're in downtown Raleigh and don't have a whole lot of money, stop by Cooper's BBQ. It's an old lunch counter and hasn't changed a bit since segregation days.
    The Pit is good, especially if you're with folk who need impressing, but I absolutely love Cooper's. No fuss, no foolin, just delicious pork. Definitely my kind of venue

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    I think the closest place to you is the Q Shack. Take 751 South (Academy), take a left on Business 15-501 and it's on the right. My 4 year old loves it the 2 meat meal with fries and green beans. My vegetarian wife loves the salad and hush puppies.
    I'm a pretty big Q Shack fan ... you just gotta make sure you pick the right sauce, as they do have the silly tomato stuff on the table along with the vinegar dip. Also, if you don't pick their fried okra as one of your sides, you're missing out.