Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    have any of y'all been to the barbecue joint off estes on the way to chapel hill? the meat there is ok (i'm a recent vegetarian), but the sides are simply off the chain. also, the ribs at mama dip's on rosemary in ch are making me consider my decision.

also, kentucky by 5.

No, no.

Never smother good Texas BBQ with a thick ketchup sauce. Nooooooooooooo......
    And by the way, the Official capital of Texas is Austin. The Official capital of Texas BBQ is Lockhart.

ricks

Sorry my friends, but

When it comes to that thing,
    ole Rick is the King.
    Its Lockhart you know
    baby, win place AND show.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

I have a feeling that the vinager-based que (Carolina) vs the tomato-based que (Texas) could produce a more heated battle than Duke vs Carolina on this forum
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I have a feeling that the vinager-based que (Carolina) vs the tomato-based que (Texas) could produce a more heated battle than Duke vs Carolina on this forum
    I like them both. The Q's, not the teams.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I have, from time to time, wondered what it would have been like to attend Duke. However, now that I know that you ruin your que with vinegar, I am glad I went in the other direction. The best, by far, I have ever had was in Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEastDevil View Post
    I agree with you Ozzie, Ed know's what to do with a hog. He had a place here in Wilson before he moved to Raleigh. When my son got married he cooked a whole pig for us to serve at a party we gave him. We have Parkers and Bills here but I always liked Mitchell's better.
    I ate at Ed's (newer, but long closed "Mitchell's") Wilson restaurant many times. The one in the 2-story cinder block building on 301. It was a buffet serving line, and you could order just the meats and not have to get the veggies. I like veggies, but didn't want to fill up with them when I had baby backs and chopped Q on the plate
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Just in case any of you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

When my life is through,
    Bury me in Bar-b-Que,
    But make sure its vinegar based,
    Cuz' you know that slows decay,
    And its the style from our home state.

And what is this talk about Texas BBQ havng ketchup? In Texas the real BBQ is beef briskit - served smoked and with no sauce (some of the better BBQ joints in Texas do not even have any sauce in the place, and if you ask for any they will come out from behind the pit and kick your a** - and rightfully so).
    Last edited by allenmurray; 12-08-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    And by the way, the Official capital of Texas is Austin. The Official capital of Texas BBQ is Lockhart.
    ricks
    You are absolutely correct - and I have my Black's BBQ t-shirt to prove it!

I said Austin for two reasons: 1) most people have never heard of Lockhart, and 2) While both of the good in Lockhart (Blacks' and Kruez - I don't count Chisolm or Smitty's) are a 10 on the 1 - 10 Texas BBQ scale they are the only two places. In Austin you can't turn around without finding a place that rates an 8 or a 9 on virtually every corner.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    My wife just returned from visting her family in Danville, VA with 2 pints of Que. Not the same as being there but, yes, we in the North are forced to make sacrifices. Then again, we in Philly have cheesesteakes and Tastykakes going for us. Which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    My wife just returned from visting her family in Danville, VA with 2 pints of Que. Not the same as being there but, yes, we in the North are forced to make sacrifices. Then again, we in Philly have cheesesteakes and Tastykakes going for us. Which is nice.
    Not to hijack this thread, but what are your favorite places for cheesesteaks, 77? Are the big names Pat's and Geno's good, or are there better choices?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but what are your favorite places for cheesesteaks, 77? Are the big names Pat's and Geno's good, or are there better choices?
    I went to a place called John's Roast Pork in the industrial district just by the river. If you haven't been yet, make it a destination.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Stay away from Pat's and Geno's despite what you may have heard to the contrary. I dislike them both because how they prepare the meat, and because they cater to the touristas. In fairness though, they have there legion of local fans. Like Que, finding the best cheesesteak is a bit of a journey and everyone is entitled to their preference. Half the fun, of course, is seeking the "holy grail."

Downtown, I prefer Jim's, but if you are willing to venture 10 miles north to a real neighborhood mecca, and my personal favorite, try Dalessandro's in Roxboro. Hasn't changed in 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Stay away from Pat's and Geno's despite what you may have heard to the contrary. I dislike them both because how they prepare the meat, and because they cater to the touristas. In fairness though, they have there legion of local fans. Like Que, finding the best cheesesteak is a bit of a journey and everyone is entitled to their preference. Half the fun, of course, is seeking the "holy grail."

Downtown, I prefer Jim's, but if you are willing to venture 10 miles north to a real neighborhood mecca, and my personal favorite, try Dalessandro's in Roxboro. Hasn't changed in 50 years.
    Agreed on Jim's. Their place on south street is great. Also good is Tony Luke's.

I must say, having grown up in NC and lived there until I was 28, I loved NC BBQ. However...da-da-daaaaaaaaaah, I live in Greenville, SC now and I have become a SC BBQ lover now. Amongst my friends I am known as the BBQ snob. ONly the best for me. No, no I don't like the mustard sauce, but I do enjoy the good Q here and the sauce. For any of you who travel to the upstate, be sure to go to Smokin Stokes on Augusta St. The best BBQ and ribs in the state. Wow. Oh and don't forget to try the Cheerwine BBQ Sauce on your Q. One last thing, try the BBQ Baked Potato too. It's just a huge baked potato with all the fixins as well as half a lb of BBQ on top. OK, am going there for lunch now.

looking for BBQ in Philly?

http://jimmysbbq.com/cms/map-and-directions
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

No sauce on the brisket at all my friend, in Lockhart; home of the best que, even for you. Visit Kreuz Market yourself. Better yet, take some of your friends. Throw a curve to the vinegar-bent , and threaten with Fredo those who like tomato .
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post

ricks
    ricks knows his Texas Q. Last time I was in Austin, we drove to Lockhart and did Kreuz, Smitty's, and Black's in a 2 day period. Kreuz's brisket is so good we hit is a second time. The meat at each of these places is so good you wouldn't think about covering it in sauce.

I'm going back down to Austin in early February and this time I'm getting up early on Saturday morning and making the trip to Snow's in Lexington. It's only open on Saturday and the 1200 pounds of meat they cook is usually gone by 10 AM. Texas Monthly calls it the best Q in Texas. Here's another review from a great website.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    ricks knows his Texas Q. Last time I was in Austin, we drove to Lockhart and did Kreuz, Smitty's, and Black's in a 2 day period. Kreuz's brisket is so good we hit is a second time. The meat at each of these places is so good you wouldn't think about covering it in sauce.

I'm going back down to Austin in early February and this time I'm getting up early on Saturday morning and making the trip to Snow's in Lexington. It's only open on Saturday and the 1200 pounds of meat they cook is usually gone by 10 AM. Texas Monthly calls it the best Q in Texas. Here's another review from a great website.
    NPR did a great story on Snows as well. I remember reading an article where the woman who owns was quoted as saying she wishes she had never gotten the publicity. She is thinking of closing because of her distress that she can't serve her long-time local customers.

I have a 2nd cousin who live in Filly and she would not let me go to the above 2 places (tourist joints) and directed me to Jim's at 4th and South. Mighty fine.

Paging Turk...

That pork place that one of the other posters mentioned may also be the one Turk described a few months ago here or to me in a PM. Or, that could just be crazietalk...

Paging Turk...