Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Farmville

If its evolved into a weekend excursion might as well hit up the Chef and the Farmer in Kinston and Duck-Rabbit in Farmville.

Quote Originally Posted by OneK View Post
    If its evolved into a weekend excursion might as well hit up the Chef and the Farmer in Kinston and Duck-Rabbit in Farmville.
    Good tips. I had thought about both those, too. Might have to be a 3 day weekend now.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Good tips. I had thought about both those, too. Might have to be a 3 day weekend now.
    ...for a lifetime experience!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OneK View Post
    Make reservations well in advance. (Get the fried kale if they have it on the menu, too. We gotta make that for tailgate one day.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Will you take out of town guests?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Will you take out of town guests?
    You bet! When you arrange your trip to Derm for a game, we should make it a schedule like I posted upthread and include whoever from DBR that wishes to accompany us and that's not just crazietalk. But that might limit us to Friday only considering how well we'll be fed before, during and after the Saturday game.

You bet! When you arrange your trip to Derm for a game, we should make it a schedule like I posted upthread and include whoever from DBR that wishes to accompany us and that's not just crazietalk. But that might limit us to Friday only considering how well we'll be fed before, during and after the Saturday game.
    I'll probably fly in - so can I bum a ride for the feeding frenzy?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I'll probably fly in - so can I bum a ride for the feeding frenzy?
    For 'cue, you bet!

(just don't say that too fast)

For 'cue, you bet!

That just may end up on page 145 of the ACC media guide ...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

For 'cue, you bet!

Maybe this should become an annual event. Maybe the "uncheat sports memorial feast." (It is a small event!)
    Last edited by Indoor66; 07-21-2015 at 08:12 AM. Reason: add last sentence

Backyard BBQ Pit

I give full credit to those in this thread that recommended Backyard BBQ Pit. They were right on all accounts.

1 - Hole in the wall - Check
    2 - Deliciousness on a plate - CHECK
    3 - Very reasonably priced - Check

I don't advise going there on a hot day if you want to eat-in, those are good carry out days. There are two ceiling fans in the whole place trying to cool things down - not very effective on a 90+ degree day. Aside from that, the food is very good. I kept it simple, had the BBQ Pork plate with mac-n-cheese and collards. The BBQ was very good, and the sauce surprised me - it's Eastern, but with a slight Western lean IMO. The mac-n-cheese was sin on a plate and worth every bite! I would hazard a guess of 55%-45% Cheese to Mac ratio, some of the best I've ever had. Thanks for the recommendation, I will be going back the next time I'm in town.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    I kept it simple, had the BBQ Pork plate with mac-n-cheese and collards.
    You left us hanging, how were the collards?
    Bob Green

I was driving up 29 from Charlottesville, VA to the DC suburbs after a day trip a couple of weekends ago, and stopped at Big B's Barbecue in Ruckersville, VA based on google map and yelp searching for barbecue places for dinner along the way. Big B's is in a little building shared with a barber shop (they even share a bathroom) just east of the highway on Spotswood Trail.

I first noticed the big smoker out back while looking for parking. Good sign. I went in first to check it out, and everything looked right. My only pause was that they served beef along side the pulled pork, and they offered only ketchupy sauces, but out here in the barbecue hinterlands of northern Virginia we take what we can get. Brought the family in, and we ordered a pulled pork sandwich, a brisket sandwich (to hedge our bets -- sometimes those are better around here, such as at Sibby's in Warrenton -- great brisket, good pork), a burger and more pulled pork for the kids plus mac and cheese and hushpuppies.

The pulled pork was the real deal.
    Excellent. The best I've had at any restaurant outside North Carolina, and better than most 'cue I've had at restaurants inside North Carolina. Any NC expats in the area who haven't been or anyone traveling through, it's worth a stop. The brisket, mac and cheese, and hushpuppies (1" sphere-type, not my favorite style but well executed for what they were) were all great too. Didn't try anything else on the menu.

Found their website when I got home:

http://bigbsbbqva.com/story.htm

Sure enough, the owner is from NC. (My daughter did spot his UNC hat, as she is trained to do). He doesn't say which part of NC he's from on the website, but the ketchup sauces may be a clue. The pork absolutely does not need sauce (I enjoyed it on the hushpuppies). He cooks only with hickory wood, and they're only open three days a week, another mark of seriousness in my book. They cook every day they're open according to the waiter. Glad to find a place that's still doing it right.

Turns out my corporate overlords have assigned me to a little project in the Plano / Frisco area, north of Dallas. Any intel / recommendations on BBQ to supplement whatever the Googler spits at me? Won't have time to do much touristy stuff, but a good meal at the end of the day is essential...

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Turns out my corporate overlords have assigned me to a little project in the Plano / Frisco area, north of Dallas. Any intel / recommendations on BBQ to supplement whatever the Googler spits at me? Won't have time to do much touristy stuff, but a good meal at the end of the day is essential...

There's a place in a flea market or a strip mall with small stores or something like that made the top list of Texas Monthly a few times. If I can remember to check it later in the day (I have to go to sleep now) I will get it to you. That may be your best bet (excellent, actually) in Dallas. Otherwise, you will have to go very south. Send me a PM to remind me, or just bump this thread to the top later and I will see it.

ricks

Excellent Dallas area (or any other area) BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    OK. Got the Dallas area BBQ place for you. Read all about it:

http://www.pecanlodge.com/

http://www.tmbbq.com/joints/pecan-lodge/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pecan-lodge-dallas-3

Now, you must go there and file the obligatory report. Be aware, however, that you must eat what you are supposed to eat there---and go early in your stay so that you can return again before you leave because it will be soooooooo good!

You're welcome,

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    OK. Got the Dallas area BBQ place for you. Read all about it:

http://www.pecanlodge.com/

http://www.tmbbq.com/joints/pecan-lodge/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pecan-lodge-dallas-3

Now, you must go there and file the obligatory report. Be aware, however, that you must eat what you are supposed to eat there---and go early in your stay so that you can return again before you leave because it will be soooooooo good!

You're welcome,

ricks
    Never been to the Pecan Lodge, but I've had a lot of experience with Texas 'que. I would strongly recommend the beef brisket, the sausage or the ribs (especially the beef ribs). I'd pass on the pulled pork -- not that it's bad, but you can get better pulled pork in North Carolina. If you're traveling all the way to Texas, get something they do better than us.

Of course, if you are from the north or Kentucky and can't get decent pulled pork where you live, I withdraw my comments.

And, I repeat, I'm making a general observation about Texas 'cue, not a specific comment about this place.

Pecan Lodge is a very good BBQ place but it is quite a drive from Plano/Frisco. If you want something a little closer, I would recommend the following:

http://www.lockhartsmokehouse.com

http://kennyssmoke.com

The first one is on the east side of Plano while the second is on the west side.

Update: I forgot Hutchins BBQ in Frisco. Of the three I listed I like Hutchins the best but only by a little. None of the three are quite as good as Pecan Lodge.

http://hutchinsbbq.com/frisco-bbq/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Pecan Lodge is a very good BBQ place but it is quite a drive from Plano/Frisco. If you want something a little closer, I would recommend the following:

http://www.lockhartsmokehouse.com

http://kennyssmoke.com

The first one is on the east side of Plano while the second is on the west side.
    Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Kreuz is not known for its brisket, however, and it appears just from the picture of the brisket on the Lockhart Smokehouse site that it is still not representative of the best you can sample in Texas. The pork rib and the sausage are very good from Kreuz. I don't know anything about the other 2 places you recommended (one from your other post), but it appears that you know your stuff.

My advice to anyone that has the chance to try really, really good Texas BBQ, however, is to go the extra miles to get it if at all possible. I have no idea of the travel time to Pecan Lodge, but if I were even in the general area, I would go for it. (But then, this is coming from someone that used to drive to Kreuz from Houston for lunch a few times or more a year, and then turn around and drive back----about 2 1/2 hours each way. I did switch to Snow's the past 4 or 5 years because it's better and about a half hour or so shorter from Houston. Now, when I fly back to Houston, I only drive about a half hour to Killen's [killer, killer, killer rib and brisket], which is the newly rated #2 behind Franklin's.)

ricks