Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Duke vs. Kentucky

For all you Durham folks. I just got back from Backyard BBQ Pit #2 (on Guess Road, just south of Carver Street). Wow! That is some damn fine 'Que. The chopped pork was everything BBQ is supposed to be. Just the right amount of vinegar and pepper to make it spicy, but not so much as to keep the sweetness of the pork from coming through. It reminded me of why I can never leave NC. As a frined once said to me at a pig-picking, "that BBQ is good enough to make you forget to call your mamma on her birthday."

The sides were really good. The slaw was quite sweet (which is how I like it, but it might be too sweet for some). The mac and cheese was baked, and obviously home-made. The sweet potatoes were great (and also obviously home made). The BBQ chicken was excellent (I only had a bite - they give out samples to those like me who are obviously having a hard time deciding). The beef briskit was average (but my standards are really high having spent a fair bit of time in the beef BBQ capital of the world, Austin Texas).

The place on Guess Road is fairly new. They've had another place on Hwy 55 (just south of NCCU) for a number of years, but I don't venture down that way much. However, the one on Guess Road, being only about 4 miles from my house, and on my regular commute, will be causing me to put my cardiologist on speed dial.

Oh, one more thing. When you enter the place you are greeted by a sign that reads "Blue Devil Blvd.

I think Duke would win

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    For all you Durham folks. I just got back from Backyard BBQ Pit #2 (on Guess Road, just south of Carver Street). Wow! That is some damn fine 'Que. The chopped pork was everything BBQ is supposed to be. Just the right amount of vinegar and pepper to make it spicy, but not so much as to keep the sweetness of the pork from coming through. It reminded me of why I can never leave NC. As a frined once said to me at a pig-picking, "that BBQ is good enough to make you forget to call your mamma on her birthday."

The sides were really good. The slaw was quite sweet (which is how I like it, but it might be too sweet for some). The mac and cheese was baked, and obviously home-made. The sweet potatoes were great (and also obviously home made). The BBQ chicken was excellent (I only had a bite - they give out samples to those like me who are obviously having a hard time deciding). The beef briskit was average (but my standards are really high having spent a fair bit of time in the beef BBQ capital of the world, Austin Texas).

The place on Guess Road is fairly new. They've had another place on Hwy 55 (just south of NCCU) for a number of years, but I don't venture down that way much. However, the one on Guess Road, being only about 4 miles from my house, and on my regular commute, will be causing me to put my cardiologist on speed dial.

Oh, one more thing. When you enter the place you are greeted by a sign that reads "Blue Devil Blvd.
    I was in Durham today. Had I known about this place, it would have been my choice for lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    I think Duke would win
    Can someone please explain the thread title to Tim1515. I'm too busy - I have some leftover BBQ to go finish up!

Can someone please explain the thread title to Tim1515. I'm too busy - I have some leftover BBQ to go finish up!
    An explanation would be greatly appreciated...thanks

On a side note...i've had tastykakes in New Mexico that taste a lot like tastykakes in Pennsylvania.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    An explanation would be greatly appreciated...thanks
    "Duke vs Kentucky" thread title = discussion of barbeque.

Exactly how that came to be, I don't know, but it's been that way for a good while.

And it belongs on the main category of the board (Elizabeth King Forum), not on the Off Topic board. Why? Probably because the topic generates as much enthusiasm and passion as Duke Basketball itself.

I live right around the corner from Pit #2. Great people in there. And you're right about the food.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    "Duke vs Kentucky" thread title = discussion of barbeque.

Exactly how that came to be, I don't know, but it's been that way for a good while.

And it belongs on the main category of the board (Elizabeth King Forum), not on the Off Topic board. Why? Probably because the topic generates as much enthusiasm and passion as Duke Basketball itself.
    I was in the process of posting an almost identical response. I was surprised that this practice was not explicitly mentioned in the handy pocket reference.

As best I know the story . . .

A while back (years) a poster once complained that posts were drifting so far off-topic that you could open a thread on the main board titled Duke vs. Kentucky, only to find it was about BBQ.

It was then decreed by a moderator (who I believe was James Armstrong, a co-owner, and former moderator of the site) that from that time forward ALL posts about BBQ would be titled Duke vs. Kentucky, and that they would always be on-topic.

As it was in the begining, is now, and ever shall be, Pig without end. Amen. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I live right around the corner from Pit #2. Great people in there. And you're right about the food.
    I should have mentioned that as well, the people there were incredibly friendly.

ribs

Nice to hear of a new 'que place.

Question: Did you check out the ribs?

I continue my futile quest for a Triangle restaurant that does a decent spare rib. Ever since Danny's in Cary switched over to those inferior St. Louis cut ribs, I've been without a decent rib place.

The only place left that does spare ribs is Bullocks -- and theirs are overcooked and smothered in sweet sauce.

If you like baby backs or St. Louis cut rubs, fine (for you). But I hunger for the real thing and I can't find it anywhere in Durham, Raleigh or Chapel Hill.

You called?

I was picking up food from the original location a year or so ago when State was playing Carolina in football ... a cheer went up when State won. It was great.

A while back (years) a poster once complained that posts were drifting so far off-topic that you could open a thread on the main board titled Duke vs. Kentucky, only to find it was about BBQ.

It was then decreed by a moderator (who I believe was James Armstrong, a co-owner, and former moderator of the site) that from that time forward ALL posts about BBQ would be titled Duke vs. Kentucky, and that they would always be on-topic.

As it was in the begining, is now, and ever shall be, Pig without end. Amen. Amen.
    IIRC, it was about the time when the Off-topic board was created that Jason Evans posted about the extreme subject drift and gave the example of a thread entitled "Duke vs. Kentucky" being about barbecue. I posted the first thread entitled "Duke v. Kentucky" that was about barbecue from the outset just to tweak him a little bit. It stuck, to say the least <virtual high-five to Evans>. J, J & B did decide at that time that barbecue was always on-topic. The thread naming was not made mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Question: Did you check out the ribs?

I continue my futile quest for a Triangle restaurant that does a decent spare rib. Ever since Danny's in Cary switched over to those inferior St. Louis cut ribs, I've been without a decent rib place.

The only place left that does spare ribs is Bullocks -- and theirs are overcooked and smothered in sweet sauce.

If you like baby backs or St. Louis cut rubs, fine (for you). But I hunger for the real thing and I can't find it anywhere in Durham, Raleigh or Chapel Hill.
    The Pit in Raleigh. http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/ Ed Mitchell's place. Great ribs. Great Q. Great food. DD and I reviewed it here a couple of years ago. I've had the baby back ribs and not the spare ribs, but I guarantee you the are fabulous.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The Pit in Raleigh. http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/ Ed Mitchell's place. Great ribs. Great Q. Great food. DD and I reviewed it here a couple of years ago. I've had the baby back ribs and not the spare ribs, but I guarantee you the are fabulous.
    I agree on the ribs at The Pit - I htink they are fabulous. However, I have friends who really know their way around a hog who don't like them at all (even though they love everything else Ed does). I've found his ribs to be a "love 'em or hate 'em" proposition.

I agree with you Ozzie, Ed know's what to do with a hog. He had a place here in Wilson before he moved to Raleigh. When my son got married he cooked a whole pig for us to serve at a party we gave him. We have Parkers and Bills here but I always liked Mitchell's better.

I agree on the ribs at The Pit - I htink they are fabulous. However, I have friends who really know their way around a hog who don't like them at all (even though they love everything else Ed does). I've found his ribs to be a "love 'em or hate 'em" proposition.
    We dined there recently and still found the baby back ribs to be superb. Along with his melt-in-your-mouth beef brisket (darn near as good as Val's beef brisket and that's NOT just crazietalk), the chopped is also excellent. It's a bit spendy but is an "upscale" BBQ joint and has a very nice beer selection, too.

He did win a "throwdown" recently in Raleigh, besting Bobby Flay who tried to pass off some St. Louis ribs (IIRC) as championship quality that had been rubbed and spiced and marinated and who knows what else were done to them.

It is lunch time in Japan and I have no 'Que. These threads always make me so hungry. Over the years, I've perfected a decent imitation chopped Eastern NC style BBQ recipe, but it pales when compared to the real stuff. Of course, I was able to gorge myself during my recent visit to NC.
    Bob Green

i hesitate to jump in on this, but....the "fine art" of putting vinegar on a pig and calling it "que" is just wrong..

give me some thick red ketchup-based sauce smothering everything and you've got it made....texas, kansas city, memphis...

If you're up for putting your vinegar-pig to the taste test, try SHANES RIB SHACK in raleigh behind Triangle Town Center (across from WORLD MARKET).

it's like broadband....you'll never go back to dial up...

ps...the other best q is on my deck...