Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Funny. I take a summer sabbatical from DBR, and when I jump back in, which thread is it?... this one. How appropriate.

Lightbulb Well, it's about time...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    BBQ that is largely dependent on sauce should not be considered in the great debate over best barbecue. If your meat doesn't have enough taste by itself, that is an automatic DQ. After all, barbecue is about cooking/smoking/roasting meat.

Admittedly, this is the basis of my opinion that Carolina barbecue can never win the title. While the barbecue is quite tastey, it is too dependent on the most poignant of substances used in the practice, vinegar.

IMO, barbecue sauce is meant to enhance the taste of the meat, not serve as the basis of the taste.
    So sayeth those of us that really know BBQ. NC BBQ is different from Texas BBQ for just that reason. It's the meat, stupid. (Just an expression. Making sure my post is DukeBasketballReportably correct.)

For those that do not understand, please refer to the link posted at the beginning of the thread:

http://www.slate.com/id/2264829/entry/2118537/

and then go to page 4 titled "The Greatest Barbecue Restaurant in the World".

Coincidentally, I was there about 3 weeks ago for lunch and it was as good as ever. 'nuff said.

ricks

BBQ origins

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The early Carolinians (the colony did not split in two for many decades) came from Barbadoes in the 1670s and 1680s, which is the Seventeenth Century. Any barbecue recipe from those days failed to make the Junior League cookbook in Charleston. Now a Sixteenth Century French colony led by Jean Ribaud failed, but there was no record of any barbecue -- in fact, they darned near starved to death.

sagegrouse
    "It was the Spanish who first introduced the pig into the Americas and to the American Indians. The Indians, in turn, introduced the Spanish to the concept of true slow cooking with smoke. So, in that first fateful coming together, way back in the 16th century, the Spanish supplied the pig and the Indians showed them how to cook it. The Spanish colonists came to South Carolina in the early 16th century and settled at Santa Elena. It was in that early American colony that Europeans first learned to prepare and to eat "real" barbecue. So, people were eating barbecue in South Carolina even before that name had been applied to the area by the English." Wikipedia

The history channel has been running a special "History of BBQ", it's pretty entertaining. It even spends a little time on the McRib the original "fakeQ", thanks to Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Throw if you like, but not many will catch on to ketchup on anything other than fries, either potato or onion, and maybe a burger. I'd bet that you might even put a little mayo on your 'que too.
    Well, if you do have a BBQ sammich, there's always the slaw...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Well, if you do have a BBQ sammich, there's always the slaw...
    Don't forget to dribble a bit of Tabasco sauce on it. For coleslaw sometimes it has mayo in it but my grandmother made it with vinegar and sour cream along with a bunch of other stuff. She used it with schweinshaxe (roasted pig knuckles), and a chopped pork recipé, but she preferred sauerkraut. She was German, and my grandfather was Irish. Neither know anything about BBQ, but they knew about cabbage.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    BBQ that is largely dependent on sauce should not be considered in the great debate over best barbecue. If your meat doesn't have enough taste by itself, that is an automatic DQ. After all, barbecue is about cooking/smoking/roasting pork.
    Fixed it for you.

Don't forget to dribble a bit of Tabasco sauce on it. For coleslaw sometimes it has mayo in it but my grandmother made it with vinegar and sour cream along with a bunch of other stuff. She used it with schweinshaxe (roasted pig knuckles), and a chopped pork recipé, but she preferred sauerkraut. She was German, and my grandfather was Irish. Neither know anything about BBQ, but they knew about cabbage.
    I like Texas Pete a bit more than plain Tabasco. Just personal preference. Sauerkraut ist seht gut mit schweine und bratwurst oder knockwurst. Bier ist besser. (dang, I hope I remembered my Deutsch from 30+ years ago.) I'll bet your grandparents knew a few things about taters, too.

I like Texas Pete a bit more than plain Tabasco. Just personal preference. Sauerkraut ist seht gut mit schweine und bratwurst oder knockwurst. Bier ist besser. (dang, I hope I remembered my Deutsch from 30+ years ago.) I'll bet your grandparents knew a few things about taters, too.
    That's pretty good. All I remember are some cuss words I heard around the house, and, of course, I can order bier in Germany. Ein grosse bier, bitte. That seems to work. Then order your next one as soon as the first is delivered. It takes 7 minutes to pour a bier in Germany. Potatoes were a staple for both of my grandparents, and cabbage, too. My grandmother sometimes cooked pork and beef right in the coal furnace. It was very good. I suppose that may qualify as BBQ.

That's pretty good. All I remember are some cuss words I heard around the house, and, of course, I can order bier in Germany. Ein grosse bier, bitte. That seems to work. Then order your next one as soon as the first is delivered. It takes 7 minutes to pour a bier in Germany. Potatoes were a staple for both of my grandparents, and cabbage, too. My grandmother sometimes cooked pork and beef right in the coal furnace. It was very good. I suppose that may qualify as BBQ.
    I don't remember many cuss words auf Deutsch. Ich haben ein Größer bier.

Potatoes are great in Brunswick stew which I often have with my 'cue, just to get this back on topic.

Anyone in the Winston-Salem area, I'm putting in a shameless plug for my father-in-law's new business. He has opened a mobile food truck selling homemade pulled pork barbecue, baked beans, potato salad, etc. Greg's been the best backyard barbecue guru I've ever met for awhile. About a year ago he stopped doing long-distance truck driving to start making and selling homemade barbecue sauce and hot sauce under the name Bullzhead Brandz. He secured a loan for the trailer and now opened the mobile restaurant.

For those who know Winston, he's got the trailer from about 11 am to 7 pm at the Carlton's at the corner of Harper Rd (exit 182 off of I-40) and Rt 158. Come up and buy pork barbecue by the pound, or just get a barbecue sandwich and side of beans.

I'm biased, but I'm also a barbecue hound, and I'll honestly say his barbecue is better than Little Richard's, Snooks, Speedy's, and right up there with the legendary Lexington Barbecue. The only downside...no hush puppies!

The baked beans are my mother-in-law's homemade recipe, and they are without comparison.

Go to www.bullzheadbrandz.com. That's my mother-in-law and father-in-law on the banner. If you go to the "about us" page, the cute little blonde girl is my daughter, Christina.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Anyone in the Winston-Salem area, I'm putting in a shameless plug for my father-in-law's new business. He has opened a mobile food truck selling homemade pulled pork barbecue, baked beans, potato salad, etc. Greg's been the best backyard barbecue guru I've ever met for awhile. About a year ago he stopped doing long-distance truck driving to start making and selling homemade barbecue sauce and hot sauce under the name Bullzhead Brandz. He secured a loan for the trailer and now opened the mobile restaurant.

For those who know Winston, he's got the trailer from about 11 am to 7 pm at the Carlton's at the corner of Harper Rd (exit 182 off of I-40) and Rt 158. Come up and buy pork barbecue by the pound, or just get a barbecue sandwich and side of beans.

I'm biased, but I'm also a barbecue hound, and I'll honestly say his barbecue is better than Little Richard's, Snooks, Speedy's, and right up there with the legendary Lexington Barbecue. The only downside...no hush puppies!

The baked beans are my mother-in-law's homemade recipe, and they are without comparison.

Go to www.bullzheadbrandz.com. That's my mother-in-law and father-in-law on the banner. If you go to the "about us" page, the cute little blonde girl is my daughter, Christina.
    I hope to be able to swing by the next time I'm in the area. Sounds good to me.

ricks

Thumbs up

Hey, you're daughter is a real cutie, too!

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Hey, you're daughter is a real cutie, too!

ricks
    Thank you! Full credit to her mother, lol...

Just sent my son in W-S the link. He's a first year medical student at WFU and lives near Hanes Mall so he's pretty close. He has been instructed to visit and send me a review. He's married so your young pretty daughter is safe.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Just sent my son in W-S the link. He's a first year medical student at WFU and lives near Hanes Mall so he's pretty close. He has been instructed to visit and send me a review. He's married so your young pretty daughter is safe.
    Ok, and thanks for passing him the word about the bbq. Drop me a line when your son starts clinical rotations. Staci, my wife, is a nurse in the ER at Baptist and plans to keep working at Baptist indefinitely. She can keep an eye out for him whenever he does some rotations that bring him to the ER!

Ok, and thanks for passing him the word about the bbq. Drop me a line when your son starts clinical rotations. Staci, my wife, is a nurse in the ER at Baptist and plans to keep working at Baptist indefinitely. She can keep an eye out for him whenever he does some rotations that bring him to the ER!
    Thanks for the tip about your wife, too. Long drive for her.

We'll go to the BBQ truck when we visit him, too. He needs to plan a class outing to exit 182.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

It just wouldn't be March Madness without at least one reference to barbecue...this showed up on my facebook today:

http://gardenandgun.com/article/ulti...rbecue-bracket

I don't know enough about the places to fill out the bracket, but just like the NCAA, there seems to be lots of discussion about who made it in and who was left out!

A note to the moderators -- just below the latest post on this thread is a list of other threads covering the exact same topic, BBQ. Apparently these threads go back to 2007 when the beloved leaders started us with the new software and forum format. I have no idea how many "Duke vs. Kentucky" posts can be found in the archives that that go back before 2007. Is there any interest in having all of those pre-2000 threads made available for research? If so, can the mods do that for us BBQ lovers?

Seems like as good a time as any to discuss some 'cue, right?

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Seems like as good a time as any to discuss some 'cue, right?
    Not anymore unless Wisconsin gets out of the cheese business. But I will say that when we went back to Houston for the Regionals, we made it to Killen's and had the most incredible beef ribs ever that put even fine Texas brisket to shame.

ricks