Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh

    FB Coaching Carousel 2009

    not sure if this is the right board for this, (mods feel free to move) but espn is reporting that Butchie Davis is a serious candidate for the Notre Dame gig.


    considering the embarrassing record of 0-3 against the wolfies, it might make sense for him to check out from the basketball school...

    thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC

    Virginia fires Groh


  3. #3

    coaching changes

    Good thread to keep up with this:

    Gone:
    Al Groh, Virginia
    Steve Kragthorpe (sp?), Louisville

    Potential dismissals in the next day or two:
    Charlie Weis, Notre Dame
    Ralph Fridgen, Maryland
    and the biggest of all:
    Bobby Bowden, FSU

    Looks like they hang on:
    Rich Rodriguez, Michigan
    Dan Hawkins, Colorado

    As for the Notre Dame stuff, I gotta think Butchie is pretty far down the list. The first offer will go to Urban Meyer, who is almost certainly going to turn it down (although he might take an NFL offer). Hot speculation is that Bob Stoops of Oklahoma is next ... although why Brian Kelly isn't a slam dunk, I don't know. There may be an NFL coach (Mike Shanahan?) in the mix before they get down to Butchie.

  4. #4

    Fear around these parts is Jim Harbough will get asked to go to Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Good thread to keep up with this:

    Gone:
    Al Groh, Virginia
    Steve Kragthorpe (sp?), Louisville

    Potential dismissals in the next day or two:
    Charlie Weis, Notre Dame
    Ralph Fridgen, Maryland
    and the biggest of all:
    Bobby Bowden, FSU

    Looks like they hang on:
    Rich Rodriguez, Michigan
    Dan Hawkins, Colorado

    As for the Notre Dame stuff, I gotta think Butchie is pretty far down the list. The first offer will go to Urban Meyer, who is almost certainly going to turn it down (although he might take an NFL offer). Hot speculation is that Bob Stoops of Oklahoma is next ... although why Brian Kelly isn't a slam dunk, I don't know. There may be an NFL coach (Mike Shanahan?) in the mix before they get down to Butchie.
    Hi,

    Not sure where this fits in with the "no rumor" policy and feel free to delete if I am doing something wrong. In the SF Bay Area it is somewhat believed that Jim Harbough (Stanford) will be asked to take over at Notre Dame. What fuels this is that he, for whatever reason, has yet to sign his contract extension. He is reportedly one of the lowest paid coaches in the Pac-10. I like the idea of him staying (I'm a Stanford fan). Just like a good brother always wants to beat his brother, I want Duke to beat Stanford in football in 2011(?) (Oh you don't know how much I want us to win that game!).

    GO DUKE!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC

    Looks to be official

    One of the Notre Dame assts is saying Charlie Weis is gone per espn. The search begins. Go Duke!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

    Not sure where this fits in with the "no rumor" policy and feel free to delete if I am doing something wrong. In the SF Bay Area it is somewhat believed that Jim Harbough (Stanford) will be asked to take over at Notre Dame. What fuels this is that he, for whatever reason, has yet to sign his contract extension. He is reportedly one of the lowest paid coaches in the Pac-10. I like the idea of him staying (I'm a Stanford fan). Just like a good brother always wants to beat his brother, I want Duke to beat Stanford in football in 2011(?) (Oh you don't know how much I want us to win that game!).

    GO DUKE!
    That would be really something if that happens, considering Harbaugh's Michigan roots. A lot of Michigan boosters want him to take over in Ann Arbor. Becoming the coach of the enemy will not be well received in my home state.
    Check out the DBR Podcast!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    That would be really something if that happens, considering Harbaugh's Michigan roots. A lot of Michigan boosters want him to take over in Ann Arbor. Becoming the coach of the enemy will not be well received in my home state.
    Didn't Harbaugh dynamite his relationship with UM a while ago when he derided UM's academic standards within the football program?

    Having Harbaugh at ND would be delicious. It would really rev up the UM and MSU and Stanford rivalries. It might kick up the USC rivalry a bit as well.

    Harbaugh at ND would raise the pressure on RickRod to a level unheard of, even in the Big 10. Great time for Martin to bail as Um AD. The new AD would feel the flames everytime UM was beaten by a "Michigan Man".

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Not so fast, my friend...

    http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wiresto...9207734&page=1

    It'll be a shame if FSU doesn't allow Bobby to come back for one more year as head coach next season, which he's indicated he'd like to do, so that he can take a "farewell tour" and then finish his coaching career with a home game.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Didn't Harbaugh dynamite his relationship with UM a while ago when he derided UM's academic standards within the football program?

    Having Harbaugh at ND would be delicious. It would really rev up the UM and MSU and Stanford rivalries. It might kick up the USC rivalry a bit as well.

    Harbaugh at ND would raise the pressure on RickRod to a level unheard of, even in the Big 10. Great time for Martin to bail as Um AD. The new AD would feel the flames everytime UM was beaten by a "Michigan Man".
    He did anger a lot of people, but a lot of boosters have already forgiven him and want him to come back and lead Michigan. He's proven to be a pretty good coach, and someone who knows the ideals and traditions of Michigan will be high on the list after what RRod has done.
    Check out the DBR Podcast!

    2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Not so fast, my friend...

    http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wiresto...9207734&page=1

    It'll be a shame if FSU doesn't allow Bobby to come back for one more year as head coach next season, which he's indicated he'd like to do, so that he can take a "farewell tour" and then finish his coaching career with a home game.
    I can't believe given his two options layed out by HD that he's return as an "ambassador", but who knows...he sure does seem reluctant as hell to leave.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    He did anger a lot of people, but a lot of boosters have already forgiven him and want him to come back and lead Michigan. He's proven to be a pretty good coach, and someone who knows the ideals and traditions of Michigan will be high on the list after what RRod has done.
    Michigan fans need to understand that not only do new football coaches need a few years to implement a system and find players for that system but running RR's spread offense will take even longer. As soon as they find the right personnel Michigan will be back on top, just wait

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeballer2294 View Post
    Michigan fans need to understand that not only do new football coaches need a few years to implement a system and find players for that system but running RR's spread offense will take even longer. As soon as they find the right personnel Michigan will be back on top, just wait
    New AD coming in, this will be a critical year for RR. Imagine the hangover the program will have trying to switch back to a pro offense with RRs players.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Looks like UVA's new coach will be Richmond's Mike London. Everything I'm hearing from my Hoo connections is positive, and we Blue Devil fans can testify as to what he's done at Richmond, to our chagrin.

    Here's the article from the ACC Sports Journal
    JBDuke

    Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern VA

    Question Any danger of losing any Duke assistants???

    Is there any significant danger of losing any of the Duke coaches to any of these vacancies. I get the general sense that Cut is a man on a mission and wants to see things through here. He has a pretty good staff too. Is there any danger that any of our assistant coaches get offers elsewhere, as HC's or as assistants? Seems to me this group is pretty tight, and loyal to Cut...

    :

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Is there any significant danger of losing any of the Duke coaches to any of these vacancies. I get the general sense that Cut is a man on a mission and wants to see things through here. He has a pretty good staff too. Is there any danger that any of our assistant coaches get offers elsewhere, as HC's or as assistants? Seems to me this group is pretty tight, and loyal to Cut...

    :
    From Cutcliffe's lips...
    Cutcliffe landed every assistant coach he targeted upon his arrival two years ago and kept them all after a successful first season. He's hoping for a repeat this offseason.

    "I'd like to keep them all," Cutcliffe said, pointing out that some of them got offers this time last year and likely will again. "Our guys are treated well, they're paid well enough, and they're encouraged to be family men. That doesn't happen everywhere.

    "We've got a lot of new daddies on this staff, so I don't anticipate an issue."
    The article is here.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    From Cutcliffe's lips...

    The article is here.
    I would add that the assistant coaches are very loyal to Coach Cutcliffe. There is a very strong bond between him and them... remember the circumstances surrounding Coach Cutcliffe's leaving Ole Miss. I've heard that several have been getting offers right along, but they choose to stay at Duke with Coach Cutcliffe.

Similar Threads

  1. Offseason Coaching Carousel
    By BlueintheFace in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 235
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 02:10 PM
  2. Question About Coaching Changes
    By sue71, esq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 05:15 PM
  3. Annual CFB coaching carousel thread
    By throatybeard in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 11:38 AM
  4. Nate James coaching?
    By trueblue in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 12:14 PM
  5. Coaching Carousel
    By Ann Arbor Devil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •