Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

K addresses Duke being "alarmingly unathletic"

From the postgame transcript...

Q. Doug Gottlieb called your team alarmingly unathletic. Did you think today answered that question pretty emphatically?

COACH MIKE KRZYZEWSKI: He should be an expert on alarmingly non‑athletic. So I'll have to take a look at that a little bit closer because it comes from an expert who actually knows what it feels like to be alarmingly non‑athletic.

Actually, we're pretty athletic; we're just not as athletic as Connecticut. Singler is a really good athlete. Lance, Miles. Jon is not leaping tall buildings with a single bound but he's a real good athlete. But I wouldn't call us like this athletic team, but we're not amazingly non‑athletic. And I would rather not get into a discussion with Doug because I have respect of his stature and he should have his arguments with people of similar stature. That would be a good thing.

Q. 25 offensive rebounds on a team like UCONN with their size and athleticism; what do you chalk that up to?

COACH MIKE KRZYZEWSKI: Well, we're big too. Non‑athletic but very big.

Q. Kyle, 2‑of‑12, 6 points, he shoots 29 percent. I told you those numbers coming into the game.

COACH MIKE KRZYZEWSKI: I would have been very worried or mad at you. I would have told you to go talk to Doug Gottlieb. You don't have to do that by the way. I won't punish you like that.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=204841093

LOL!!!

BOO-YA !!!!

gotleib?????

Too much

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

Q. Doug Gottlieb called your team alarmingly unathletic. Did you think today answered that question pretty emphatically?

COACH MIKE KRZYZEWSKI: He should be an expert on alarmingly non‑athletic. So I'll have to take a look at that a little bit closer because it comes from an expert who actually knows what it feels like to be alarmingly non‑athletic.

Actually, we're pretty athletic; we're just not as athletic as Connecticut. Singler is a really good athlete. Lance, Miles. Jon is not leaping tall buildings with a single bound but he's a real good athlete. But I wouldn't call us like this athletic team, but we're not amazingly non‑athletic. And I would rather not get into a discussion with Doug because I have respect of his stature and he should have his arguments with people of similar stature. That would be a good thing.

Q. 25 offensive rebounds on a team like UCONN with their size and athleticism; what do you chalk that up to?

Q. Kyle, 2‑of‑12, 6 points, he shoots 29 percent. I told you those numbers coming into the game.

COACH MIKE KRZYZEWSKI: I would have been very worried or mad at you. I would have told you to go talk to Doug Gottlieb. You don't have to do that by the way. I won't punish you like that.

Absolutely hilarious. ROTFLMAO.
    And I'd bet K dead-panned every second of that sequence.

Coach K has an awesome sense of humor, and it can be biting. Good for him.

Ouch!

well, notto defend gotdweeb, but he DID pick duke to win...

I love our coach. That's just great. Although in Gottlieb's defense, he WAS the one to pick us.

ESPN is full of a bunch of goobers.Non-athletic my *** hows 25 off rebounds for non-athletic.lol

Just telling the truth

Coach K was just telling the truth about Gottlip..Coach can certainly make the idiots feel a foot tall. Go Coach K and Go Duke!

When I think of alarmingly unathletic...

--Jason "we keed, we keed" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

If I remember correctly, Coach K didn't recruit Gottleib because he thought Dougie was too athletic for Duke's system. He didn't want to be in a Dean Smith-Michael Jordan situation and have to hold the guy in check his whole college career.

K sounds a bit like his mentor in this exchange. Of course a win will bring out the humor.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    K sounds a bit like his mentor in this exchange. Of course a win will bring out the humor.
    Love it. Gottleib's comment was so silly, though, it's not really worth dealing with. But since the question was asked, humor is the only way to go.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Way to go coach. You said exactly what all of us would have wanted you to.

Since we are on this subject... I have gotten sick and tired of the term "un-athletic". Especially since in the ESPN generation we are living in, the talking heads have changed the definition of athletic.

The online dictionary defines the word as:
    ath⋅let⋅ic  /æθˈlɛtɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ath-let-ik] Show IPA
    –adjective

1. physically active and strong; good at athletics or sports: an athletic child.
    2. of, like, or befitting an athlete.
    3. of or pertaining to athletes; involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina: athletic sports; athletic training.
    4. for athletics: an athletic field.
    5. Psychology. (of a physical type) having a sturdy build or well-proportioned body structure. Compare asthenic (def. 2), pyknic (def. 1).

Somewhere along the way the meaning was changed to: ability to jump high, run fast, and quickness

I have encountered a lot of people in my sports life that could run fast, jump high, and were quick, but basically could not play a lick in sports like basketball, baseball, football, soccer, etc. They simply lacked the athletic ability required to play those sports.

There are obviously a lot of great athletes that play basketball that not only run fast and jump high but also have great basketball skill, but there are also a lot of great athletes like Jon Scheyer for example that have above average basketball skills, hand/eye coordination, body control, agility, etc that lack tremendous jumping ability and foot speed. And Jon is quite a bit quicker and faster than he often gets credit for.

Kyle Singler, Demarcus Nelson, and Greg Paulus were all great basketball players in high school while also being great quarterbacks in football. In my humble opinion, it takes above average "athletic" ability to be able to accomplish that.

Just my two cents. And thanks to THe Lord Ash for posting that quote from Coach. That was by far the quote of the month!

"Athletic" nowadays is used as a term to quickly and easily descibe, albeit in an unfair way, a certain subset of skills that are part of what we more commonly known as being "athletic."

Unfortunately the idea of "athletic" is a bit warped in basketball, and indeed across all of the major "professional"-level sports, and has even become a bit tied into race.

Ridiculous, obviously... anyone who looks at Miles Plumlee and, hell, Greg Paulus, and says the kids aren't athletic is a moron.

Thank you

"Athletic" nowadays is used as a term to quickly and easily descibe, albeit in an unfair way, a certain subset of skills that are part of what we more commonly known as being "athletic."

Unfortunately the idea of "athletic" is a bit warped in basketball, and indeed across all of the major "professional"-level sports, and has even become a bit tied into race.

Ridiculous, obviously... anyone who looks at Miles Plumlee and says the kid isn't athletic is a moron.
    You have called it correctly. It has become tied into race and that is why Duke gets hated on too many times. I agree if a person cannot recognize the athletic ability of Miles Plumlee they are indeed a moron. Go Duke!

The Plumlee brothers were pretty darn good high jumpers (I'm specifically referring to their ability WRT to track and field here) in HS, too.

Coach K was not only defending his team from Gottleib but defending Jason if you listen carefully.
    ~rthomas