Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shane

Shane

Watching Rockets/Jazz and just saw a vintage Battier play-knocked down a corner J and then got back to draw a charge within maybe 6 seconds.

Sometimes I think we forget just how good Shane was at Duke and is in the NBA. No gaudy stats, but the guy can really play.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by dukemsu View Post
    Watching Rockets/Jazz and just saw a vintage Battier play-knocked down a corner J and then got back to draw a charge within maybe 6 seconds.

Sometimes I think we forget just how good Shane was at Duke and is in the NBA. No gaudy stats, but the guy can really play.

dukemsu
    I hadn't really watched the Rockets play much this season, but I've caught a couple of the first round games against the Jazz. One of the elements which he brings, and which he does better than almost anyone else, is tremendous help defense. I've enjoyed watching his off-the-ball activity and the impact he manages to have when he helps off his own man.

It's unfortunate that Battier plays at the forward position, which probably cost him a chance to make an All-Defensive team. He defends players similar to those that Kobe and Raja Bell (the 1st team guards) guard, and he defends them better.

Still though, I think he should have made 2nd team over Prince.

Battier was robbed by not making an All-Defensive team.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I hadn't really watched the Rockets play much this season
    I've tried to watch as many nationally televised Rockets games I could, and it's ridiculous how the commentators are always gushing over him, whether he's on the floor or not. I hate how biased these ESPN commentators are -- if Battier had gone to Duke, they'd never even mention his name.

I'm not sure what you are saying here - are you complaining because the ESPN commentators are biased against Duke or are you comenting on Bill Walton's man-crush on Shane?

You defnitely can't be commenting on ESPN announcers being bieased towards DUke - except for DV and J. Bilas, the boys from Stamford tend to take jabs at Duke as much as possible. I always attributed it to al the UNC and UCons alums and fans on teh staff.

Exiled

Both at Memphis and Houston, all coaches and owners have said that Shane is the "glue" that holds a team together. A leader. The driving, calming force. The same was true at Duke. A true class act who works under the radar to make everyone around him better. He's underappreciated by those not-in-the-know, but truly appreciated by those who matter. I LOVE Shane.
    (My daughter had many classes with Shane....they were great friends -- and of course, as a sports mom, I'd hope it would be more than that)...PLEASE don't let my daughter know this.

Shane = The Best Duke Basketball Player In History.

Shane, Shane! Come back!

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I hate how biased these ESPN commentators are -- if Battier had gone to Duke, they'd never even mention his name.
    Uh-huh...

I'm going to assume that you mean if Shane HADN'T gone to Duke the commentators wouldn't mention him... and I 'd have to say that's ridiculous. Commentators always gush over guys that aren't headliners and are "unheralded", so that when the guy goes off in a game the commentator can go, "See how prophetic I am?".

I mean really... Shane Battier is the only guy who gets gushed over during NBA games. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

I've tried to watch as many nationally televised Rockets games I could, and it's ridiculous how the commentators are always gushing over him, whether he's on the floor or not. I hate how biased these ESPN commentators are -- if Battier had gone to Duke, they'd never even mention his name.
    C'mon guys. He's being sarcastic and making fun of most of the posters on this board who constantly say that ESPN is anti-Duke. His point is that they clearly aren't anti-duke if they are gushing over shane.

HOWEVER, hc, I don't think most people here think that the NBA commentators are biased, only the writers and columnists at ESPN, and maybe some of the executives.

I took a German class with Shane. One day a couple years ago I went to shanebattier.com and sent a note via the website to Shane saying something like "hey I was in your German class, how are things?" or something lame.

The next day I got a response from someone through the website that was entirely in German. I have no idea if it was him or someone who is paid to respond to fans, and mistakenly thought I was a European fan of his.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    C'mon guys. He's being sarcastic and making fun of most of the posters on this board who constantly say that ESPN is anti-Duke. His point is that they clearly aren't anti-duke if they are gushing over shane.
    Yup, that's pretty much it. Sorry, I thought people would get that it was a joke from the face in the title of the post...

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    I'm not sure what you are saying here - are you complaining because the ESPN commentators are biased against Duke or are you comenting on Bill Walton's man-crush on Shane?

You defnitely can't be commenting on ESPN announcers being bieased towards DUke - except for DV and J. Bilas, the boys from Stamford tend to take jabs at Duke as much as possible. I always attributed it to al the UNC and UCons alums and fans on teh staff.

Exiled

I don't know, I've always thought Bilas was pretty impartial, and even a bit harsh on Duke at times. Even when we had JJ and Shelden, he (rightfully) felt during the regular season that we weren't as flawless as everyone thought that year. But in the end, Bilas is about as straightforward as ESPN has. Katz and Gottlieb had a field day bashing Duke this past year, even after wins...

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Yup, that's pretty much it. Sorry, I thought people would get that it was a joke from the face in the title of the post...
    And now you see the problems with sarcasm on the boards...

My recommendation - don't try it. Too many folks will misunderstand your intent, and this has led to ugly flaming in the past.

If you insist on being sarcastic in your posts, you ought to be more blatant in telegraphing it - like "(sarcasm alert!!!)" or something.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Thanks JB

As one of the most sarcastic humans on the face of Gods green earth I appreciate the advice. No I'm not being sarcastic, I really am sarcastic.

And while I'm pulling for the Jazz in this series, "who's your daddy, Battier!"

Yeah, I didn't get it. Although I do stand by my comment that bill Walton does seem to have an almost unhealthy affection for Shane.

Exiled

You know who has an unhealthy affection for Shane? Me. I love that man.

No Duk fan can have an unhealthy love of Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    You know who has an unhealthy affection for Shane? Me. I love that man.
    Oh, I expect you are completely healthy in your Shane-love. I have a way-too-expensive limited edition painting of Shane I bought at a Emily K center fund raiser at home. I'm right there with you.

I smile whenever Walton talks about Shane - I don't dislike it, but it does amuse me at times. I can't place what it is that amuses me - maybe Walton is always like that and I only ever see him on Shane's games. I am not a big NBA fan - I catch bits here and there of Shane, Boozer and Duhon when I can. For all I know, Walton could rain love down on every unheralded sixth man nd role player.

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    I don't know, I've always thought Bilas was pretty impartial, and even a bit harsh on Duke at times. Even when we had JJ and Shelden, he (rightfully) felt during the regular season that we weren't as flawless as everyone thought that year. But in the end, Bilas is about as straightforward as ESPN has. Katz and Gottlieb had a field day bashing Duke this past year, even after wins...
    In terms of commentators Bilas and Majerus are great (I guess Majerus WAS great), and Lavin is decent, IMO. Digger is obviously a jackass, and I do agree that Bilas can be a little harsh on Duke, but I feel like he does it just because people are waiting for him to give any hint of a pro-duke bias so they can jump on it. In terms of the intelligence of his analysis, its usually spot on. I don't even listen to hubert when he talks so I have no idea if he's good or not, but I don't think that second rate school he went to is even accredited anymore, so he can't be that bright (please tell me I dont have to post a sarcasm/joke alert here...)

The writers like forde and katz are just jerks, and simmons isn't much better, but I give simmons a pass cause he is my favorite writer on the site and so f-ing funny. But what are you gonna do, the world is against us...