Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Ten years ago I said I was an expert in theater, knitting, and card games.

Yep.

Although I've let the card games slide a little bit. But I'm even more knowledgeable about theatrical matters and the plays of William Shakespeare.

For me:

1. Death and dying
    2. The lungs

Kinda sounds morbid, but I'm really a fun guy!

Outside the above, and my three little kids, Duke and NBA basketball are my main hobbies.

Crossword puzzles.

Wasting a huge chunk of my life the past 20+ years following the DBR boards every almost every single day.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Wasting a huge chunk of my life the past 20+ years following the DBR boards every almost every single day.

ricks
    A+++ Would read again

ricks
    For those that need clarification on my use of the word "almost", and to correct the addition of an extra "every" , I meant to say: "Wasting a huge chunk of my life the past 20+ years following the DBR boards all day long almost every single day." (The "almost" actually refers to the "all day long". So, there were days that I missed following all day, rather than missing days. In addition, my days are defined as: from waking up until going to sleep.)

ricks

For those that need clarification on my use of the word "almost", and to correct the addition of an extra "every" , I meant to say: "Wasting a huge chunk of my life the past 20+ years following the DBR boards all day long almost every single day." (The "almost" actually refers to the "all day long". So, there were days that I missed following all day, rather than missing days. In addition, my days are defined as: from waking up until going to sleep.)

ricks
    Your story sounds familiar. Especially since the advent of these magic squares we all carry in our pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I'd say my wife has claim to expertise at Clue.
    1. Behavioral finance (including differentiating between luck and skill).

2. The Department of Labor's new fiduciary standard rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    On a more serious note, my best talent may be the ability to give people bad or unwanted news and having them feel OK about it.
    That's a great skill. What are the basic steps?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    That's a great skill. What are the basic steps?
    Thoughtfulness and understanding applied in large doses.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Thoughtfulness and understanding applied in large doses.
    Hypothetically, how would you do that if the bad news was "you're fired"?

Too many factors to consider to attempt to answer in this type medium.

You obviously never gave nor received the "it's not you, it's me" break-up line.

(Probably shouldn't joke. Firing people sucks).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap
    You obviously never gave nor received the "it's not you, it's me" break-up line.
    You're right. I've never said it, but I've tried to receive it (from my Board of Directors). I tried to get shown the door (at age 50), by asking for ludicrous money, but they unanimously paid me, without hesitation. The next time, I'm asking for 2X ludicrous. They're going to breakup with me whether they like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap
    Firing people sucks.
    Strongly agree, it's definitely the worst part of my job!

Yawn

Handling opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Probably only Rich would find this remotely interesting.

At the amateur level, writing beer reviews (Ymmmm), golf course reviews (Fore!), and commentary about Duke basketball. Oh, and serving as a junior golf caddie.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Wildlife. Birds and mammals in particular.

American History.

1) Survival surgery on fly larva that result in neuronal injury.

Quote Originally Posted by kexman View Post
    1) Survival surgery on fly larva that result in neuronal injury.
    Is there a great need? The Beatles became emphatic that Transcendental Meditation was a foolish procedure (Sexy Sadie) which caused them neural system damage.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    What's your secret, if you don't mind sharing? I'm the world's worst "griller" of meats. I can destroy even the choicest cut of meat.
    Get a sous-vide machine. Don't pay attention to all the other things it can supposedly do. Not worth the hassle unless you just want to entertain yourself. Just use it to do steaks and chops. It makes it easy for someone that has a tough time judging meat to get it right.

1) Clam chowder
    2) Digital semiconductor design archaeology.