Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

I have a feeling the stadium will be incredibly empty. The team deserves better than that.

Go DUKE!!
    Unfortunately, I have a feeling you'll prove to be right. Thanksgiving break games are killer.

On last thing about this game...

Hi,

I won't Terp, but I think it isn't terping to say that VO could have made a difference--perhaps not in the outcome, but in the final score. I think we really missed him today. I hope he is well enough to play in his last eligible game as a Devil. Also, we got to play Thad for the whole game so we didn't have to burn another QB's redshirt today. I know that might not seem like much, but this guy might be important to us later on down the line.

I need to stop taking Duke football losses so hard. I would have thought as I got older losing would be easier. I think I've grown more competitive in some ways and not less.

GO DUKE!

By the way..

Duke gets all the calls...it was SO evident in this game.

grumble, grumble.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    This is pretty unlikely, at least for the student section. The game is over Thanksgiving break, so there are going to be very few students even in Durham. As already said though, this group of seniors has been great. They deserve all kinds of credit for pulling the team up to where it is now.
    I think it's time to cease using the student section as an index of the possible attendance. They are allotted only a few sections (3-4?). The rest of the stadium can be filled by people like you and me.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    This is pretty unlikely, at least for the student section. The game is over Thanksgiving break, so there are going to be very few students even in Durham. As already said though, this group of seniors has been great. They deserve all kinds of credit for pulling the team up to where it is now.
    It's not on the students. There section is only one small part. It's on fans like myself and others that live close enough to go to the game. And I already have my ticket. I hope all that can will join me. The team deserves our presence and support.

I watched the 1st half before heading out to Cameron for the basketball game. When I walked into Cameron we were up 16-13 and I really liked our chances to pull the upset. It was quite the shock to hear the final score. From reading the posts it sounds like we were right there in it all the way down to crunch time.

We should have gotten 7 instead of 3 two times in the 1st half and Miami's first touchdown was a joke. If the ball does not get deflected at the line, Vinnie has his 2nd pick of the day and Miami gets zero there. That was just an incredibly bad break there!!

But, .500 overall and in conference is right there for the taking. I believe in them and think they get it done against Wake.

That dang Richmond game with 30 kids recovering from the Swine Flu!! I knew it would haunt us in the end...

You know Kewlswim...I assume you have been following Duke football for awhile like I have. I think finding some success after all of these years of losing makes these games tough to take. I know I want these guys to breakthrough and win games like today. Just not quite there yet, but we are definitely getting closer. Somehow we are going to have to find a running game next season which will start with recruiting some good offensive line prospects. Against the good teams we can't score inside the 10 because we can't open up any holes at all. A big difference in us winning and losing a game like today stems from Miami getting inside the 10 and running for TD's. We don't have the ability so when we have to throw, there is no room for the WR's to get open. That is a huge liability for us right now.

Anyway, I will be there Saturday for the Wake game, but am unfortunately anticipating a very small crowd as well. Wake has nothing to play for so I doubt they have too many fans coming. Another thing that will be critical for our program is to develop a bigger fanbase that consistantly attends games and gets loud for Duke. Even though we've had a great football season, and better crowds, I can't say that Wallace Wade has come "alive" yet. Hopefully that will come with winning, but the chance at 6-6 hasn't exactly achieved the support I was hoping for. Granted, a game Sat. after Thanksgiving with .500 on the line will probably on inspire the truest of Duke fans.
    Last edited by 6th Man; 11-21-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I think it's time to cease using the student section as an index of the possible attendance. They are allotted only a few sections (3-4?). The rest of the stadium can be filled by people like you and me.
    Well, the "you" in this case is part of the student section, so I do tend to notice it a bit more . I certainly hope the game has good attendance otherwise.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Well, the "you" in this case is part of the student section, so I do tend to notice it a bit more . I certainly hope the game has good attendance otherwise.
    I'd guess there will be more than a few regulars in NYC the night before in the Garden for the NIT. Most probably aren't crazy enough (unlike me) to try to drive back in time for the football game at noon.

(Flying Thanksgiving weekend isn't easy, either.)

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    It's not on the students. There section is only one small part. It's on fans like myself and others that live close enough to go to the game. And I already have my ticket. I hope all that can will join me. The team deserves our presence and support.
    allenmurray and wolfpackdevil will be there in fine form. We'll probably bring along wolfpackdevilslittlebrother and mrsallenmurray just for extra luck. Boozer, send me a PM so I can give you our seat locations and we can meet up.
    Last edited by -jk; 11-21-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    allenmurray and wolfpackdevil will be there in fine form. We'll probably bring along wolfpackdevilslittlebrother and mrsallenmurray just for extra luck. Boozer, send me a PM so I can give you our seat locations and we can meet up.
    AM, I will do just that! Thank you for the invite. I will PM you on Friday evening and we can set a place and time to meet. I am really hoping that Duke fans in the area will make it a point to come to the game. I have a neighbor who grew up in Durham and tells me of the days when 50,000+ filled up Wallace Wade with portable stands put up in the open end of the horseshoe. Wouldn't it be great to see a return to that kind of support??
    Last edited by -jk; 11-21-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

I have heard from one of my student contacts on campus that there are students who are planning to return to campus early so they can attend the Wake game.

Let me tell you...

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Man View Post
    You know Kewlswim...I assume you have been following Duke football for awhile like I have. I think finding some success after all of these years of losing makes these games tough to take. I know I want these guys to breakthrough and win games like today. Just not quite there yet, but we are definitely getting closer. Somehow we are going to have to find a running game next season which will start with recruiting some good offensive line prospects. Against the good teams we can't score inside the 10 because we can't open up any holes at all. A big difference in us winning and losing a game like today stems from Miami getting inside the 10 and running for TD's. We don't have the ability so when we have to throw, there is no room for the WR's to get open. That is a huge liability for us right now.

Anyway, I will be there Saturday for the Wake game, but am unfortunately anticipating a very small crowd as well. Wake has nothing to play for so I doubt they have too many fans coming. Another thing that will be critical for our program is to develop a bigger fanbase that consistantly attends games and gets loud for Duke. Even though we've had a great football season, and better crowds, I can't say that Wallace Wade has come "alive" yet. Hopefully that will come with winning, but the chance at 6-6 hasn't exactly achieved the support I was hoping for. Granted, a game Sat. after Thanksgiving with .500 on the line will probably on inspire the truest of Duke fans.
    Hi,

I was at a Duke event talking to a young woman. It turned out she had graduated from Duke (makes sense). What wasn't so great was that she was born after I had already graduated from Duke. So, I guess I have to fess up that I have rooted for Duke football for a while. I doesn't mean I have to act my age though.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I get sick of announcers on TV who don't seem to understand that football is a game won at the line. Period. The offensive and defensive lines are where games are won or lost, always has been, always will be. We get enamored by the backs. Think of what Thad could have done if he was playing behind a better line.

I just sense we are so on the cusp of being great...not just good at football. We can get great players if they feel we can win. I am convinced of it.

Thanks for going to the game. I am on the other coast, so going to games is sort of hard. Poor excuse, I know.

GO DUKE!

small crowd very likely

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCO2009 View Post
    Unfortunately, I have a feeling you'll prove to be right. Thanksgiving break games are killer.
    And to make matters even worse, any local "let's go to a football game at Duke today" fans may well be watching the unc-ncsu football game which is also a noon game.

k

A bowl bid and a winning record would have been great but I can take a 6-6 record and still be pretty happy. Both teams are playing for pride but I think Wake has played a bit better as of late. We can win doing two things:

1. Not turning the ball over
    2. Crushing Riley Skinner.