Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Duke 16 Miami 10 on a Duke FG. Would have prefered the TD but the run game was picking up yardage and that is very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    Duke 16 Miami 10 on a Duke FG. Would have prefered the TD but the run game was picking up yardage and that is very encouraging.
    Long-term, this game is very encouraging. But though the defense deserves great credit for holding Miami to a field goal there, the harsh reality is that there's about a quarter-and-a-half to go, and the defense has already been on the field for 58 snaps. Duke's going to lose this game, and may lose it by double digits, but what outcomes like this show is that Duke's main problem is now depth, and not frontline talent or coaching, as has been the case since Spurrier left.

Two years from now, Duke will win games like this one because they'll have enough players to finish off teams with top-25 talent and coaching.

The future looks bright indeed.
    Last edited by calltheobvious; 11-21-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammar

That was a quick fg

score; Duke 16 Miami 13.

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    Long-term, this game is very encouraging. But though the defense deserves great credit for holding Miami to a field goal there, the harsh reality is that there's about a quarter-and-a-half to go, and the defense has already been on the field for 58 snaps. Duke's going to lose this game, and may lose it by double digits, but what outcomes like this show is that Duke's main problem is now depth, and not frontline talent or coaching, as has been the case since Spurrier left.

Two years from now, Duke will win games like this one because they'll have enough players to finish off teams with top-25 talent and coaching.

The future looks bright indeed.
    I hope you're right. I hate to see our guys work so hard and fall short.
    No soup for you!

No excuse for missing that FG, but two atrocious calls back to back (the grounding call and the missed PI) killed our momentum. The refs were simply horrible in the fourth quarter. I hate to complain about officiating, but some of the calls and no-calls (did you see the missed hold on Miami's last drive?!) were just plain awful.
    Last edited by DukeCO2009; 11-21-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Perfect example of how one egregious call can so dramatically change the momentum of the game... Our boys deserve big pats on their backs for a great season. Hopefully they've laid the foundations of something better to come.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCO2009 View Post
    No excuse for missing that FG, but two atrocious calls back to back (the grounding call and the missed PI) killed our momentum. The refs were simply horrible in the fourth quarter. I hate to complain about officiating, but some of the calls and no-calls (did you see the missed hold on Miami's last drive?!) were just plain awful.
    In the brief post game Coach Cutcliffe was still steamed about those calls. He told the listening audience that the score didn't reflect what actually happened today. He said that this time the best team didn't win, but that we can still have a .500 season.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCO2009 View Post
    No excuse for missing that FG, but two atrocious calls back to back (the grounding call and the missed PI) killed our momentum. The refs were simply horrible in the fourth quarter. I hate to complain about officiating, but some of the calls (did you see the hold on Miami's last drive?!) were just plain awful.
    The grounding call should never even have been a possibility. Second and goal from the six was probably, in Cutcliffe's mind, near-defnite four-down territory (down four points with an exhausted defense). Duke's shortest rushing gain on that possession was four yards, and Cutcliffe should have run it on second. A draw means a great chance to catch the defense off-guard for an easy score, or failing that, enough yardage to give lots of options with two downs to gain a couple of yards.

Of course if Cutcliffe wasn't thinking about four downs there, optimum play-calling strategy might be somewhat different. But there's no excuse for not thinking touchdown-or-bust there.

As for momentum, a touchdown there would have only delayed the inevitable. Duke wasn't going to stop Miami again the rest of the game.
    Last edited by calltheobvious; 11-21-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: redundancy

wow, I was just about to post my sentiments about the game and the "intentional grounding" call.

I was at Dolphin stadium sitting in the alumni section. The stadium was not packed at all, showing that the fans probably overlooked this Duke team.

Anyway, throughout the game the student section boo'd the players and perhaps even the play calling. Not until the end of the 3rd and the 4th quarter did they really get excited. Chants of "Berry" (a la Jerry Springer) were heard in the 3rd and 4th.

The Intentional Grounding the subsequent missed FG took all the steam out of the team. It sucks because we were really looking good out there. But my buddies always say Miami is a 4th quarter team and they proved it again today.

I thought Duke gave a great effort today. I hope they can stay upbeat and take out Wake next week to finish 6-6 and have momentum going to next season.

Quote Originally Posted by concrete View Post
    wow, I was just about to post my sentiments about the game and the "intentional grounding" call.

I was at Dolphin stadium sitting in the alumni section. The stadium was not packed at all, showing that the fans probably overlooked this Duke team.

Anyway, throughout the game the student section boo'd the players and perhaps even the play calling. Not until the end of the 3rd and the 4th quarter did they really get excited. Chants of "Berry" (a la Jerry Springer) were heard in the 3rd and 4th.

The Intentional Grounding the subsequent missed FG took all the steam out of the team. It sucks because we were really looking good out there. But my buddies always say Miami is a 4th quarter team and they proved it again today.
    Folks on the radio were incensed about those 2 calls. Cut seemed to be livid, too. Looked that way from the replays, too. Makes a whole lot of difference being up 23-20 instead of down 16-20 or 19-20. You gotta be kidding me about blaming the play calling. No way Cut can be criticized about his decisions there. If the correct calls/no calls are made by the stripes, we have an extra down and/or another 1st down inside the 10.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Folks on the radio were incensed about those 2 calls. Cut seemed to be livid, too. Looked that way from the replays, too. Makes a whole lot of difference being up 23-20 instead of down 16-20 or 19-20. You gotta be kidding me about blaming the play calling. No way Cut can be criticized about his decisions there. If the correct calls/no calls are made by the stripes, we have an extra down and/or another 1st down inside the 10.
    Um, no, I'm not kidding about the playcalling. I'm not arguing that the official's call was correct, nor, obviously, about the outcome of the play/series had the ruling been different.

I'm saying that given the circumstances, a run on 2nd and goal from the six had a higher expected pay-off than a pass, not least because the downside of a run is incredibly small. If Duke hadn't run the ball very well on that possession, I wouldn't have recommended a run there, but you simply can't ignore the in-drive rushing performance in thinking about the quality of the play-call. Nor should you decide that it was a good play-call just because it might have worked had the play been officiated better--clear hindsight bias.

Regardless, though, I think Cut's indignation here is a little overblown. If Miami had wanted to, they'd have punched in another touchdown at the end of the game. You can't while away the points Duke gave up in the fourth quarter just because they probably should have had an additional TD.

And not for nothing, but from a momentum standpoint the missed FG was far more damaging to Duke's psyche than not getting 7 there. Hell, had Duke come away with three there, the rage from that call might have given the defense enough hate-adrenaline to generate a stop that they couldn't have otherwise. But you can't alibi a missed 31-yd FG. You just can't.

Um, no, I'm not kidding about the playcalling. I'm not arguing that the official's call was correct, nor, obviously, about the outcome of the play/series had the ruling been different.

I'm saying that given the circumstances, a run on 2nd and goal from the six had a higher expected pay-off than a pass, not least because the downside of a run is incredibly small. If Duke hadn't run the ball very well on that possession, I wouldn't have recommended a run there, but you simply can't ignore the in-drive rushing performance in thinking about the quality of the play-call. Nor should you decide that it was a good play-call just because it might have worked had the play been officiated better--clear hindsight bias.

Regardless, though, I think Cut's indignation here is a little overblown. If Miami had wanted to, they'd have punched in another touchdown at the end of the game. You can't while away the points Duke gave up in the fourth quarter just because they probably should have had an additional TD.

And not for nothing, but from a momentum standpoint the missed FG was far more damaging to Duke's psyche than not getting 7 there. Hell, had Duke come away with three there, the rage from that call might have given the defense enough hate-adrenaline to generate a stop that they couldn't have otherwise. But you can't alibi a missed 31-yd FG. You just can't.
    Were you watching the game? I mean really? If the back isn't tackled on the 2nd and 6, Duke scores a TD. You're actually saying that was a bad call? The screen was set up nearly perfectly.
    WWJDD?

The game didn't end up like we wanted, but I'm proud of our team. They fought Miami hard and the game wasn't decided until very late. It was a gutsy performance that fell apart at the end. I know this team is beyond moral victories, but this was, at least, a very respectable loss.

Duke has one game left to get to .500, both on the season, and in the ACC. That would be a huge statement for this season, to show that Duke has moved, in 2 years, from the ACC doormat to a middle-of-the-pack ACC team. That's a huge accomplishment.

Big game against Wake, at Wallace Wade. Here's hoping we end the season on a great note.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    The game didn't end up like we wanted, but I'm proud of our team. They fought Miami hard and the game wasn't decided until very late. It was a gutsy performance that fell apart at the end. I know this team is beyond moral victories, but this was, at least, a very respectable loss.

Duke has one game left to get to .500, both on the season, and in the ACC. That would be a huge statement for this season, to show that Duke has moved, in 2 years, from the ACC doormat to a middle-of-the-pack ACC team. That's a huge accomplishment.

Big game against Wake, at Wallace Wade. Here's hoping we end the season on a great note.
    And here's hoping we can fill up the stadium for the Wake game.

The seniors on this team have worked hard and done much to help the program improve. One way to honor them is by being in Wallace Wade for Senior Day. Thad Lewis will finish up as the leader in QB's career yardage. He's moving up in the ACC records as well. Vince Oghobaase has been a rock for the defense. Vinny Rey has stepped up with tackles, interceptions and pick offs. This isn't even the entire list of seniors who've been solid players during their Duke careers.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I was posting wayyy too fast lol.

My quote about the play callin was referencing the Miami fans booing their teams effort up until the 3rd quarter.

We have not run well inside the 10 or 20 all year. With the way TL has thrown the ball and our TE and WR, I think it's a good call. A fumble is just as devastating and probably equally likely. Your hindsight bias is just as obvious. But wait, what do you want? You disagree with the pass but wouldn't have recommended a run? Which one is it then? Call the play correctly AND call the PI on the next play with a DB holding our WR as he crosses the field. That way we get the extra down and don't lose the yardage and/or another 1st down with 3 more shots at the TD.

I don't think his indignation is overblown at all. In the post-game comments, his early words were "the better team didn't win today" (arguable point considering we gave up 480+ yards) and "I not sure what/how I'm gonna tell our guys about it." He can't criticize the refs unless he's got an extra few grand in his pocket to pay the fine next week.

TD at the end of the game? Irrelevant potentially if the right call/s are made earlier and we score 7 there. A FG there would have certainly been nice but I'm not excusing it. I'll take our walk-on kicker's performance this year compared to years past. Seven points lost there and the lead is far more important and would have been better and more critical. And you can't say the 4th quarter points miami scored would have been there or not had the proper call/s had been made. Our guys may react completely differently had we scored 3 OR 7 there.

Make the right calls on the field or at least review them (yea, probably not reviewable) and let the players/coaches win/lose the game.

I think most kids will be home for Thanksgiving...

Hi,

I have a feeling the stadium will be incredibly empty. The team deserves better than that.

Go DUKE!!

Quote Originally Posted by concrete View Post
    I was posting wayyy too fast lol.

My quote about the play callin was referencing the Miami fans booing their teams effort up until the 3rd quarter.
    My reply was not related to yours. Sorry you interpreted it that way. I understood the UM fans and their booing. I was referring to another poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    And here's hoping we can fill up the stadium for the Wake game.
    This is pretty unlikely, at least for the student section. The game is over Thanksgiving break, so there are going to be very few students even in Durham. As already said though, this group of seniors has been great. They deserve all kinds of credit for pulling the team up to where it is now.