Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Around the Country (Nov 16-22)

I figured we could use a thread to post opinions and reactions to other games around the country on a weekly format since this season looks to be wide open, there are many teams to keep an eye on.

For this week, we've already seen some upsets Bama/Miss St falling, and alot of top 15 teams challenged (Kansas, Mich St., Kentucky, UConn, etc)

I'll be starting it each week...thanks for the insight and opinions.

Gonzaga

They looked impressive for a non-ranked team. In fact we might see them move into the Top 25 because of an 'impressive loss'. Duke has them on the schedule at MSG on December 19th and while the Zags didn't receive much hype this year, I definitely feel that they will be the impressive group they usually are.

Gonzaga looked awesome, and I felt they deserved to win that game, after leading nearly the entire time.

I'm still wondering why Memphis went for a 3 at the end of their game, when they only needed a 2 to tie it. They clearly had the momentum, and I think would have won by 5 or 6 in overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    They looked impressive for a non-ranked team. In fact we might see them move into the Top 25 because of an 'impressive loss'. Duke has them on the schedule at MSG on December 19th and while the Zags didn't receive much hype this year, I definitely feel that they will be the impressive group they usually are.
    They Are Big !!!

memphis

definitely agree on your point about memphis, williams had hit the big three earlier but as Jay Williams said on twitter you have to go to the bucket there because it gives you so many more ways to tie it. (Made shot, rebound and put back, foul) instead of a contested 3. Kansas clearly got taken out of their style last night by a gritty Memphis team.

Interesting games tonight

Wednesday night games...

Can Cornell beat UMASS for a 2nd road win against bigger conference opponent ?

Butler is only favored by 5 against Northwestern even after NW lost several of their top players.

Lastly we get first looks at big program teams as Florida and Texas open as 20+ pt favorites..

quick preview

Well, Cornell and Butler did pull off the road wins. Impressive...Texas also looked pretty deadly.

We have an interesting schedule today, some day games including a top 25 matchup between Ga Tech and Dayton.

Tonight we have Syracuse vs Cal and UNC vs Ohio St...any thoughts on these games? Cal and UNC are slight favorites

And down go the Jackets in their first game against good competition. I hope they pick up some momentum (and victories) in their upcoming PR tournament games.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    And down go the Jackets in their first game against good competition. I hope they pick up some momentum (and victories) in their upcoming PR tournament games.
    Box score is interesting- Dayton has a kid who played 3 minutes and scored 19 points and had 7 bounds- now that is a production!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Box score is interesting- Dayton has a kid who played 3 minutes and scored 19 points and had 7 bounds- now that is a production!
    Look again, that guy played 28 mins.

Paul Hewett just cannot get it done. I imagine this will be his last year at Tech - especially in face of the immediate success of Football.

GMU currently handing it to an overrated Villanova squad that misses Cunningham more than anybody will admit IMO... lets see if the supernova can battle back

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    Well, Cornell and Butler did pull off the road wins. Impressive...Texas also looked pretty deadly.

We have an interesting schedule today, some day games including a top 25 matchup between Ga Tech and Dayton.

Tonight we have Syracuse vs Cal and UNC vs Ohio St...any thoughts on these games? Cal and UNC are slight favorites
    Texas is S.I.C.K. sick. They are 2 deep at every position . They remind me a lot of our '97-'98 team - only probably more talented.

If they learn how to play together and Barnes can find a decent 8-9 rotation when the schedule gets rough (and theirs does -- more than any team in the country), they are going to be a tough out. It's possible the 2 best teams are in the Big XII. The two deepest certainly are.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Look again, that guy played 28 mins.

Paul Hewett just cannot get it done. I imagine this will be his last year at Tech - especially in face of the immediate success of Football.
    Ummm. I don't know if this is a case of "not getting it done". Dayton is a team that returns 4 of 5 starters, and 10 of its 11 top scorers from last year along with a solid NBA prospect in Christ Wright (you know, "that guy" who had the double-double against GT). Tech was actually ahead by 7 late in the game, but UD mounted a furious comeback with D and timely 3-point shooting. I think we may have benefited from the fact that we're experienced and hungry and GT is still learning how all the pieces fit together.

Back to your comment, though, I'd say this is less of GT not getting it done, and an experienced UD team doing what it needed to win a close game.
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Texas is S.I.C.K. sick. They are 2 deep at every position . They remind me a lot of our '97-'98 team - only probably more talented.
    Did they get a new team after last season? Who did they add?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/roster?teamId=251

Avery Bradley was regarded by some scouts to be an even better prospect than John Wall. He should add to an experienced lineup headlined by Damian James and Jai Lucas and sandwiched by (sorry couldn't resist) 6' 10" 298 lb. Dexter Pittman.

And they do have a Melchionni as well...

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/roster?teamId=251

Avery Bradley was regarded by some scouts to be an even better prospect than John Wall. He should add to an experienced lineup headlined by Damian James and Jai Lucas and sandwiched by (sorry couldn't resist) 6' 10" 298 lb. Dexter Pittman.

And they do have a Melchionni as well...
    The thing about Texas is that last year they had decent talent, but the parts didn't fit. They **SHOULD** have those parts this year. Not only is Avery Bradley a stud frosh, so is Jordan Hamilton. J'Covan Brown has been the best freshman thus far and they get Jai Lucas in December.

Pittman was a force by the end of last year and may be the most underrated post player in the country. Damian James can play slashing glass eater and is going to get a TON of open looks. He also doesn't have to do as much as he did last year.

The main issue is going to be PG. Balbay can handle witht he best of them and play D, but he is a Doug Gottleib clone and can't shoot. J'Covan Brown and Jai Lucas are both similar to Nolan. Not necessarily in their game, but in that they aren't natural points and will be asked to play a lot of PG.

Justin Mason who was a glue guy and is a senior may hardly see any minutes this year, which says something about the talent influx.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Saw them last night. They have the POTENTIAL to be scary good... championship good.

PG: Balbay still there, but junior college commit J'covan Brown is a definite upgrade. Also, you guys might remember former UF PG Jai Lucas. He is the THIRD!! option for UT at PG.

SG: Top5 Freshman Avery Bradley joins sharp shooter Varez Ward and all-around glue guy Justin Mason

SF: Top tier freshman Jordan Hamilton joins UT's best player Damion James

Big Men: Damion James and Big old Dexter Pittman are a year older and might be the best frontcourt in the Big XII (I'd take them over Cole Ostertag and his buddies any day). Gary Johnson comes off the bench at this position too

...and of course they have a Melchionni

WEAKNESS: Coaching. Everybody in Austin knows it and kind of hope that Barnes has recruited enough pure talent to overcome his X's and O's weaknesses...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    WEAKNESS: Coaching. Everybody in Austin knows it and kind of hope that Barnes has recruited enough pure talent to overcome his X's and O's weaknesses...
    I think J'Covan is technically a frosh and didn't play anywhere last year. He has had some issues both academically and with his temper, but seems to be on the right track now. The fact that he worked his but off the last year to get enrolled when he could have just gone the JC route is telling

I'm not as down on Barnes as most folks. His in game "X's" are certainly good IMHO, even if his "O's" sometimes leave something to be desired. But I think one thing he is good at -- developing players -- should be an advantage here. He's going to have a lot of playing time to juggle, and there are guys getting 15-20-ish minutes right now (Mason, Ward, Wangmeme) that may not be in the rotation come February.

What they will have is the ability to put several different lineups on the floor and play much more situationally with minimal talent drop off. Only KU can match the Horns in that department.

GMU still up on 'Nova 54-49 with 9:03 to go. Corey Fisher has an interesting line: 1-7 FG, 12-14 FT for 15 pts. Taylor King, by the way, started the game and has 5 pts, 4 rebounds, and 4 fouls.

Edit: Nova now up 56-54 with 7:08 to go...

GMU up 3 with 1:43 to go. This is a very young GMU team not even picked to win their conference I don't think.