Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 101, Charlotte 59

Charlotte defeated Elon 75-61 to advance to today's game. The 49ers were led by Shamari Spears (6'6" 240) with 23 points and six rebounds. Spears is a transfer from Boston College who scored 12 points against Duke as a freshman (thanks Blue Devil tip-off magazine). Charlotte represents a step up in the level of competition compared to our first two games. Here is the Boxscore from their victory over Elon:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=293202429

Of course for Duke, Nolan Smith will make his season debut and provide our offense with another ball handler and increase our ability to pressure the opponent's primary ball handler. I'm looking forward to seeing Duke operate with Singler, Scheyer, and Smith simultaneously on the court.

A couple of additional items I'll be looking at include: can Andre Dawkins continue to provide offense off the bench with Smith back? Duke needs Dawkins to be able to come into the game and score points in spurts. Dawkins needs to be a player our opponent's defense worries about. How much time does Czyz play? Olek's athleticism can be a real asset for our Blue Devils if he continues to develop his game.
    Bob Green

2. Does anyone know what time this game starts?

Hoping to catch it on Justin TV...

Nolan Smith

How about a little fun? What if the over/under on Nolan's total points tonight is 15, whatca got, over or under??

I think he will have a great game after sitting two nights in a row. I suspect he will go off and I am taking the OVER.

Predicition, 18 points 4 assists, 2 rebounds...

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    How about a little fun? What if the over/under on Nolan's total points tonight is 15, whatca got, over or under??

I think he will have a great game after sitting two nights in a row. I suspect he will go off and I am taking the OVER.

Predicition, 18 points 4 assists, 2 rebounds...
    Agreed! I am so excited about Nolan. Unfortunately, I have to admit that every year I am a little more excited about one player than the rest (sorry, rest of the team!) This year, that guy is Nolan. I love his swagger, his cockiness, his fearless demeanor. We need him big this year, and I think he'll perform.

Also, I love the prediction. After sitting on the bench watching for 2 full games, he is going to explode!

I'm going under! i'm saying 13 points in the end. He will take a little to get back into it. But have a good second half! GO DUKE!

Smile Today's Game Schedule

Here is the TV schedule for ESPN's TipOff Marathon. Duke-Charlotte is at 6PM ET.

sagegroue

BIG NIGHT for Scheyer

Anyone here stay and watch Charlotte last night? I look for Scheyer to go off tonight as Nolan will take some of the distribution and ballhanding pressures off of Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    Does anyone know what time this game starts?

6 PM

it's on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    Does anyone know what time this game starts?

The game is at 6:00 pm and is televised on ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The game is at 6:00 pm and is televised on ESPN.
    Grrrr... is the game really at 6? The schedule on DBR says 7. Definitely wishing I had set the DVR. May have to leave work early to catch the tip! The sacrifices I make for Duke basketball...

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    Anyone here stay and watch Charlotte last night? I look for Scheyer to go off tonight as Nolan will take some of the distribution and ballhanding pressures off of Jon.
    I think that both of these guys will have a big game tonight. Nolan will be very fresh after sitting out the first two games, and I think that Jon will get a lot more shot attempts with Nolan running some point. I really look for the offense to explode tonight.

Prediction
    Scheyer 18pts
    Smith 15pts

Go nolan!!!!!!!

Show me some swagga!!!!!!!

Having Nolan back will take a load off of Scheyer. Jon has played well, but I am going to guess that Jon goes for 20+ tonight. Don't let me, a fellow Chicagoan down! Oh, and I am going out on a limb to say that LT has fewer than 5 turnovers.

I just joined today and just wanted to say that Duke is looking good. I am very impressed with Dawkins and Kelly. And having Nolan back is a good thing. To bad Mason is still out with the wrist injury.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Go nolan!!!!!!!

Show me some swagga!!!!!!!
    Nolan "Swagga" Smith... that's his name this season.

That will be third nickname I've heard for Nolan.

First, the guy from the unsanctioned tourney was calling him "The Escalade" Then, Dave Bradley was calling him "Showtime" and now we've got "Swagga".

Whatever he's called, I think we'll all be happy with his results.

Hey Blue Devils. I'm looking forward to a good game tonight in our first ever showdown. We are a very young team coming into tonight's game, so I'm hoping that Harris can keep the rest of the guys disciplined enough to use our talent wisely. I'm a bit concerned about who can guard Singler, Phil Jones is a monster shot blocker (7 last night) but he's not too quick and Spears, as you know, is a beast but is a bit short. I'm interested in seeing who Bobby matches him up with.
    Tonight's game is huge for us because it gives us a chance to prove on the big screen that we are back in the world of good college hoops programs like in Bobby Lutz's first few seasons. Everyone on campus is excited. I'm hoping for an upset. We'll see how it goes!

Jimmy Dykes has Duke on Upset Alert tonight... ruh roh

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    That will be third nickname I've heard for Nolan.

First, the guy from the unsanctioned tourney was calling him "The Escalade" Then, Dave Bradley was calling him "Showtime" and now we've got "Swagga".

Whatever he's called, I think we'll all be happy with his results.
    I seem to be the only person on these boards who's a bit surprised at all the talk about NS's swagger and outgoing personality. Back last spring, once G decided to leave, and we all started discussing '09-'10 outlook, I assumed that among our big ?-marks and keys to this season would be NS's need to play confidently rather than tentatively. IIRC - but maybe I don't - NS was far too rarely assertive, even before his concussion. My word for NS's play - which seems a bit harsh in retrospect - was "meek."

So I'm thrilled to hear comments suggesting that N's game is at a whole new level. Maybe he deferred too much last year to G, but clearly this year he's up there with the other 2 S's as game-to-game leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by punkrockcowboy View Post
    Hey Blue Devils. I'm looking forward to a good game tonight in our first ever showdown. We are a very young team coming into tonight's game, so I'm hoping that Harris can keep the rest of the guys disciplined enough to use our talent wisely. I'm a bit concerned about who can guard Singler, Phil Jones is a monster shot blocker (7 last night) but he's not too quick and Spears, as you know, is a beast but is a bit short. I'm interested in seeing who Bobby matches him up with.
    Tonight's game is huge for us because it gives us a chance to prove on the big screen that we are back in the world of good college hoops programs like in Bobby Lutz's first few seasons. Everyone on campus is excited. I'm hoping for an upset. We'll see how it goes!
    Good to have you here, bring it on!

God I love that it's basketball season again, I swear the off season gets longer every year.

My "Swagga" prediction: he comes out a little overly excited, makes a few very enthusiastic mistakes early before he settles down and finishes just under 15, makes everyone else look better when he's on the court than they have looked the past two games.