Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kyle Singler AP Preseason All American First Team

It's nice to see Kyle (Singler) getting that recognition. If he make first team AA, I think it will mean that Duke has had a very good season.

Agreed. He is very deserving of that position.

He is indeed very deserving, but seriously, someone change the title of this thread.

How on earth do you make a spelling like that...that's not a typo, that's just...ugh.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    He is indeed very deserving, but seriously, someone change the title of this thread.

How on earth do you make a spelling like that...that's not a typo, that's just...ugh.
    It's one letter off of the correct spelling. It could have been automatically "corrected" by the OP's browser. Let's take a deep breath and worry about things that matter... like what a 17-year-old said about Duke in his latest recruiting blog.

No, believe it or not, the title is a typo. It also shows I need to proof my words before I submit.

I'd change the title, but don't know how. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeforester View Post
    No, believe it or not, the title is a typo. It also shows I need to proof my words before I submit.

I'd change the title, but don't know how. Sorry.
    IIRC there were several announcers last year who were calling him Singular...

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post

True, that's not how you spell Scheyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    True, that's not how you spell Scheyer.
    No, no, you're getting it mixed up - Scheyer is voted as the preseason defensive player of the year.

By the way, I'd put Wall over Harengody. I'm glad to see Singler make it, though.

I actually like the typo. A singular talent.

Merriam-Webster: distinguished by superiority, exceptional (an artist of singular attainments; or, being out of the ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    It's one letter off of the correct spelling. It could have been automatically "corrected" by the OP's browser. Let's take a deep breath and worry about things that matter... like what a 17-year-old said about Duke in his latest recruiting blog.
    It's 2 (e, not a), but true enough. Also, don't mock us worrying about what 17 year olds say! Those 17 year olds are super-important! </sarcasm>

@Original poster, edit the post, and click on go advanced on the edit to change the title.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    No, no, you're getting it mixed up - Scheyer is voted as the preseason defensive player of the year.
    Good point... my mistake. I temporarily forgot why Jon is the least of our worries. Hopefully, the NBA scouts will not make the same mistake I did.

I know it's not an original thought, but I think this could be a real breakout season for KS. Good helping defenses will have to give him a bit more room to contend with the big boys inside, and he'll have smaller guys consistently defending him. When a team goes 6-10, 6-10, 6-8 across the front, the 6-8 guy is going to be guarded by a lot of 6-6 wing players, many of whom are there for their offense, not their defense. And defensively, KS will have a lot more back up in the paint.

Are we really having a convo about someone who missed spelled a word?

Anyway i can see Kyle as the next JJ or Tyler H in the ACC. He had the same kind of numbers in his first two seasons. Third year were both they're break out year and i hope it's the same way with Kyle.

"Are we really having a convo about someone who missed spelled a word?

Anyway i can see Kyle as the next JJ or Tyler H in the ACC. He had the same kind of numbers in his first two seasons. Third year were both they're break out year and i hope it's the same way with Kyle."

Evidently some of us take spelling and grammar more seriously than do others.

Redick, Battier, Laettner, and Ferry all fit the template of good players who became great players as juniors.

Not sure it applies to Hansbrough, who was unanimous first-team All-ACC as a sophomore.

FWIW, there's not a single returning first-team All-ACC player this year. So, at the ACC level, it's wide-open for Singler to become the bully of the neighborhood. Of course, that would apply to Vasquez, Booker, Aminu, Lawal and others.

Shhhhh....Kyle is about to explode on the national scene. Pass it on.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Thumbs up Singler

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "Are we really having a convo about someone who missed spelled a word?

Anyway i can see Kyle as the next JJ or Tyler H in the ACC. He had the same kind of numbers in his first two seasons. Third year were both they're break out year and i hope it's the same way with Kyle."

Evidently some of us take spelling and grammar more seriously than do others.

Redick, Battier, Laettner, and Ferry all fit the template of good players who became great players as juniors.

Not sure it applies to Hansbrough, who was unanimous first-team All-ACC as a sophomore.

FWIW, there's not a single returning first-team All-ACC player this year. So, at the ACC level, it's wide-open for Singler to become the bully of the neighborhood. Of course, that would apply to Vasquez, Booker, Aminu, Lawal and others.
    I'm on board with this Jim except that I think that Kyle already is a great player. But you are right in that this year sets up perfectly for him to become the marque name for Duke. The go-to-guy. The one thing I hope is that Kyle doesn't settle for the 3. He is too good in the triple threat position to limit himself to just becoming a good 3-point shooter. I love it when Kyle attacks the basket. I think that Kyle has the potential to be good passer but up to this point hasn't really had anyone that he could set up. That could change this year with Mason and Miles down low.

Judging by what I saw from CTC, what I read about the Pfeiffer game, and comments from Coach K and other staff members, Kyle has really worked on his outside shot this offseason.

He will be able to exploit his height advantage over a number of smaller defenders this year, both on the perimeter, and by posting them up down low.

He truly will be a triple threat this year and I'm happy to see him blow up nationally.

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I'm on board with this Jim except that I think that Kyle already is a great player. But you are right in that this year sets up perfectly for him to become the marque name for Duke. The go-to-guy. The one thing I hope is that Kyle doesn't settle for the 3. He is too good in the triple threat position to limit himself to just becoming a good 3-point shooter. I love it when Kyle attacks the basket. I think that Kyle has the potential to be good passer but up to this point hasn't really had anyone that he could set up. That could change this year with Mason and Miles down low.
    When I first read that Kyle would be playing on the perimeter this season, the first thing I thought was, hope he doesn't fall in love with the 3 pointer. I believe that Kyle is one of the most complete players in the country. So I don't expect him to settle for the 3. He is too good at driving the ball to the basket and with his size and post up moves he will surely post up his man a lot this year. I look forward to seeing Kyle be a 1st team All American this year and I think it happens. Go Duke!

Go Kyle

I'll be completely shocked if Kyle isn't a First Team All-American this year and the player of the year in conference. He's a player that really has no glaring weaknesses in his game and does everything pretty well or exeptionally well. He has height, quickness, toughness, and passion. I have not been this excited about an individual player's season since JJ's senior year. Kyle has certainly earned the right to be listed among the pre-season AAs.