Help prove Duke/UNC is the best rivalry out there

Hi to All,

For the past 2 years I have served as an AmeriCorps volunteer (full time service program) with Fugees Family, a small non-profit in the Atlanta area.

We serve refugee boys from over 25 different countries, through soccer and academic enrichment programs. We pull the boys in through soccer and then help them improve academically, act as leaders in their communities, and work with their families to get more settled in the U.S. Our families have fled from war and persecution to make a better life for themselves, and when they end up here the children are placed by age rather than ability, and left to fail out of school (Picture a 14 year-old with no prior education, being thrown into mainstream high school classes in a mediocre Georgia school.) All of our programs are free to our participants and our families all live at or below the poverty level.

We are currently participating in "America's Giving Challenge," an online fundraising campaign that is a competition to see who can get the most donors each day and over the course of a month (donors, not donations - $10 is the same as $100.) Causes that finish in the top 7 receive prizes ranging from $10,000 to $50,000.

Here's where you come in: I work in an office filled with people who think they know about college sports and big rivalries. When we discussed having rival schools compete on different days to see which school could produce the most number of donations, the suggestions were, "Georgia Tech and Emory" "Florida State and Ohio State" and "Alabama and UGA." I struggled to explain what a rivalry was to my co-workers and bosses. They already think I'm bizarre - whenever Duke friends come to town, they ask them, "Do you like, watch a lot of basketball too?" They think it's just me. They went to great colleges, but not a one went to a school with decent sports.

This Thursday, October 29th, please click on the link below before 3pm and donate $10 to Fugees Family, the non-profit organization that I work for, to prove the power of the Duke/UNC rivalry, and save me from working in an environment where they think a "sports powerhouse" is Emory or Agnes Scott.

Instead of having rival schools compete on different days, I suggested a way to prove that Duke/UNC tops all other rivalries. On Thursday, October 29th, Duke and UNC will compete together to best the other rival schools that we have chosen. Thursday is the LAST day of rivalry week - I picked it to save the best for last because I KNOW we can beat the other schools. The pressure is on! If we don't have a big showing, they'll start referencing Emory as the biggest sports school in the region!

ALL YOU NEED TO DO: Donate $10 on Thursday, October 29th, before 3pm. That's it. Only once, and only $10. Click the link below and click DONATE in the middle of the screen, and donate $10. You do not have to be a member of facebook to donate.

ONE MORE THING: Send this to EVERY Duke or UNC fan you know, so we can beat the competition.

In case you're interested, here is the final list of who is competing in rivalry week:

Monday: Emory, Georgia Tech, Agnes Scott
    Tuesday: University of Alabama and Auburn
    Wednesday: University of Florida and Florida State
    Thursday: DUKE and UNC!!!

Thank you in advance for your support!
    If you're looking for more information about our organization, feel free to check out our website at www.fugeesfamily.org or contact me in a PM.

Link to Donate: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/4610...c768c22&ref=mf

OK, bump and bump again tomorrow 10/29!

Thanks for the bump!

I appreciate any donations that people feel inclined to give... we really are a good cause (no, I'm not biased at all). Even if you don't want to give, check out our website!

A Conversation: Mascots who could save the world

Courtesy of my sister:

A CONVERSATION: THE MASCOTS WHO WOULD SAVE THE WORLD!

Blue Devil: Hey Tarheel, your horns look stupid, and get out of my way!
    Tarheel: Man, Blue Devil, why you gotta be such a douchebag all the time!
    Blue Devil: Sorry, habit. I just meant that I'm in a big hurry, I'm going to save the world.
    Tarheel: Save the world?
    Blue Devil: Well, if you can interpret "save" as "help in an easy, inexpensive, and very immediate way," and "the world" as a large group of young refugee boys who have had a really tough life but are now moving forward and finding comfort and success through an organization that needs your help," then YES! Save the world!
    Tarheel: Whoa...yeah, I think that counts! And I want to help, because I have a giant heart. I think it's time we overcame our mutual hatred of each other which is actually based on the fact that each of our schools is a kickass institution in order to make a real difference. So what do we need to do?
    Blue Devil: Just click here today and give $10 (or more if you want). If enough people do it, the sweet, funny kids who have overcome overwhelming odds will get an additional thousand dollars!
    Tarheel: That IS really easy. Perfect, I'll do it after my 3:00 class.
    Blue Devil: NO! It's REALLY important that you do it before 3:00 pm! That's when facebook days end!
    Tarheel: Ok, I'll do it right now. You know, this felt really good, working together with you to make a difference. Even if you suck and you look like an idiot in that ridiculous cape.
    Blue Devil: Read my comeback on my forehead, goat. And you're right. It did feel good.