Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lawson Wishes He Left After Freshman Year

That certainly makes two of us...

Got a link?

As I posted somewhere else, Lawson seems to be the rare occasion where a player achieved great individual and team success during their college tenure, without ever really "unpacking their bags," to borrow a phrase from K.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/6243494/

Here is the link - it was under todays DBR headlines

Quote Originally Posted by sivartrenrag View Post
    Got a link?
    From the article on the front page:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/6243494/

He also thinks he'd be better off in his basketball career if he hadn't spent the last two years in Roy's system (paraphrasing a bit.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gewebe14 View Post
    I can certainly admit that I'd be happier if he'd left in 2007. Although watching them get crushed by Kansas in 2008 was kind of fun...

Not a very attractive aspect of the current college basketball scene, I'm afraid. Here was a kid who had little to no interest in being a college student. and very little interest in college basketball.

He certainly deserves the opportunity to pursue a career in professional basketball. In a sport like baseball, he likely would have signed a contract as a draft choice out of high school, and started in the minor leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Not a very attractive aspect of the current college basketball scene, I'm afraid. Here was a kid who had little to no interest in being a college student. and very little interest in college basketball.

He certainly deserves the opportunity to pursue a career in professional basketball. In a sport like baseball, he likely would have signed a contract as a draft choice out of high school, and started in the minor leagues.
    I could be wrong, but I believe the one and done rule was put in after Lawson's Freshman year.

Regardless, all evidence points to Lawson not leaving until he did because of his projected draft status. He couldn't have projected any higher than he did after winning a National Title. Same can be said for Ellington and Hansbrough.

I always got the feeling the Lawson was kind of like McCants a few years earlier. He was very talented but never really "fit in" with his teammates or coaches.

Goes to show you...

how little importance he places on the national championship. Players like that should be allowed to develop in the D-League, or should I say the D-League should develop so that it can meet the needs of players like that.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Regardless, all evidence points to Lawson not leaving until he did because of his projected draft status. He couldn't have projected any higher than he did after winning a National Title. Same can be said for Ellington and Hansbrough.
    I am not so sure I agree. I would need to really comb the archives to find it, but I argued in 2008 that Lawson should come out that year and not wait until his junior season. The 2009 draft was loaded with PGs, and we knew it would be in 2008. By contrast, there were very few PGs available in the 2008 draft.

Lawson was forecast as a mid-teens player in both drafts (prior to his driving incident, which probably hurt his stock), but I think his odds of going in the low teens/late-lottery were far greater in 2008 when there were only 2 or 3 PGs who were better than him. In 2009, he was just one of almost a dozen really good PG prospects, decreasing his value somewhat.

What's more, if Lawson's stock was essentially the same in 2008 and 2009, then he did a bad thing by coming back because he denied himself a year of earnings and pushed back the date of his free agency by a year. By that logic, he may have cost himself millions of dollars by returning for his junior campaign.

--Jason "I would also add that because Hasbro was getting all the pub this past year, Lawson did not enhance his endorsement/reputation stock much if at all by coming back" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Gewebe14 View Post
    i never heard a duke player say something like that...more of the opposite actually like i wish i stayed.

I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuqerque. I thought this was the Duke Basketball Report, Not Inside Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by bgibbs1001 View Post
    I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuqerque. I thought this was the Duke Basketball Report, Not Inside Carolina.
    Are you actually suggesting that talking about Carolina is somehow not part of the conversation here on the DBR? Really?

If you do not wish to contribute to a conversation about Carolina, that is fine, but to express disappointment at other folks talking about an ACC team-- especially our biggest rival-- well, that is simply not how things work around here.

--Jason "Ty Lawson whupped on us for 3 years... any conversation about him is not only allowed, it is welcomed" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Are you actually suggesting that talking about Carolina is somehow not part of the conversation here on the DBR? Really?

If you do not wish to contribute to a conversation about Carolina, that is fine, but to express disappointment at other folks talking about an ACC team-- especially our biggest rival-- well, that is simply not how things work around here.
    Right. What he should have done was complain to the site administrators and get the Carolina discussion isolated on another board - that's how things work around here. But expressing disappointment is right out.

Perhaps this is the type thing that got Lawson drafted lower than his talent suggests rather than his relative lack of height or shooting ability.

On a side note, this can't be helpful for UNC recruiting...even if Lawson is a bit on the self-centered, unappreciative side.

Quote Originally Posted by bgibbs1001 View Post
    No, no, you're in the right place. We're just talking about how a player from our main rival just came out and said he wished he had left school earlier than he did. Now that you're caught up...

This can't sound good for UNC. Coupled with Michael Jordan dropping the N-word on Chamillionaire (and not in a friendly way)...this has not been a good PR week for UNC basketball.

Harrison Barnes, take note. You don't want to share Lawson's regrets do you?

I was a little disappointed in Lawson's comment, but it's consistent with other things he said when he was in high school and at UNC. He clearly viewed UNC as a path to the NBA, and that's fine. Assuming a player is only able to play until he is X years old, and X is fixed, then it's reasonable to think that Lawson gave up millions to play at UNC his junior year.

However, that also assumes that Lawson would have found a good fit with a team had he come out earlier--and been drafted later--and as a 5'10" guy with a history of injuries, that's quite an assumption. It seems like it has become increasingly common for players to be drafted in the first round and then find themselves in Europe three years later. I think he's got a case of grassisgreeneritis.

that didn't seem negative at all. if anything, the kid is honest to a fault, a quality you don't see much these days in this politically correct world we live in

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    ... if anything, the kid is honest to a fault, a quality you don't see much these days in this politically correct world we live in
    You mean when he was arrested for driving under the influence, he honestly told the officer how much and what he had consumed????