Your MBB captains

"Seniors Jon Scheyer and Lance Thomas were named team captains for the 2009-10 men’s basketball season, head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced on Thursday. Scheyer was a team captain last season, while Thomas has garnered the honor for the first time.

“Jon and Lance have both been great leaders on and off the court for our program,” said Krzyzewski. “Jon has a great approach to the game and is one of the most consistent performers in practice and during games. Lance brings a work ethic and fiery competitiveness that teammates rally around. Both players are strong leaders individually and will be even stronger together.” "

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "Seniors Jon Scheyer and Lance Thomas were named team captains for the 2009-10 men’s basketball season, head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced on Thursday. Scheyer was a team captain last season, while Thomas has garnered the honor for the first time.

“Jon and Lance have both been great leaders on and off the court for our program,” said Krzyzewski. “Jon has a great approach to the game and is one of the most consistent performers in practice and during games. Lance brings a work ethic and fiery competitiveness that teammates rally around. Both players are strong leaders individually and will be even stronger together.” "
    I think Jon was a no-brainer and Lance really started to show some of that fire and leadership last year, especially in the latter half. Congrats to both.

p.s. I think Kyle needs to exhibit leadership on the court and in the locker room for this team to go far.

Really happy the Lance got the nod... he fired me up at the end of the year yelling in the huddles congrats to both

This was announced a few weeks ago...but I guess it's official now.

We're fielding an experienced team, and I'm anxious to see their leadership in action. They're a great fire & ice combo.

Last year's Clemson game (gulp... sinking feeling) there is really only one image that remains. That of Lance Thomas practically ripping his skin off from frustration and rage in the huddles. He reflected that passion on the court and was about the only one to do so. Performances like that make leaders... It's not always about who's rallying the troops in down-to-the-wire games.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Last year's Clemson game (gulp... sinking feeling) there is really only one image that remains. That of Lance Thomas practically ripping his skin off from frustration and rage in the huddles. He reflected that passion on the court and was about the only one to do so. Performances like that make leaders... It's not always about who's rallying the troops in down-to-the-wire games.
    I agree. And from that game on I saw a different Lance. He stepped up and became vocal whether he was in the game or not. It was nice to watch him develop in that way.

I am a bit surprised that Kyle was not named a captain as well. He is the main cog on this years team. I actually thought he would be a lock for captain.

At any rate we have 2 good leaders in Jon and Lance so all is well!

14 days til practice boys and girls...
    Last edited by Newton_14; 10-01-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I agree. And from that game on I saw a different Lance. He stepped up and became vocal whether he was in the game or not. It was nice to watch him develop in that way.

I am a bit surprised that Kyle was not named a captain as well. He is the main cog on this years team. I actually thought he would be a lock for captain.

At any rate we have 2 good leaders in Jon and Lance so all is well!

14 days til practice boys and girls...
    Congrats to Lance and Jon.

Just my opinion, but two (co-) captains...fine. One captain...fine. Three captains or more, not so good. Too many chiefs.

I like the selections. Jon is going to be a huge key for us this year, both for minutes played and floor leadership.

I have a question, have there been many captains in recent years that didn't start to open the season?

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I like the selections. Jon is going to be a huge key for us this year, both for minutes played and floor leadership.

I have a question, have there been many captains in recent years that didn't start to open the season?
    Paulus?

^ & ^^

pretty sure Lee Melc was named a captain mid-season his senior year and was definitely coming off the bench. Though it looks like he actually started the 1st game of the season that year. Then he came off the bench for the next dozen or so games, then started 2 games mid-season (i think due to injury) and then quickly saw his role reduced much as Greg did and went from playing 20-25mpg to 12-17mpg.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...season=2005-06

Ahh, fond memories of senior year...

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Congrats to Lance and Jon.

Just my opinion, but two (co-) captains...fine. One captain...fine. Three captains or more, not so good. Too many chiefs.
    Roy, as always, very fair point! I did not think about that aspect but it certainly makes sense. And like I said, the two selections are great choices.

Another non-starter = Reggie Love in 2004-05.

And Horvath was a two-time captain. It's not that uncommon to have a non-starter as a captain.

And LT will likely get some starts this year.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    And Horvath was a two-time captain. It's not that uncommon to have a non-starter as a captain.

Thanks for your research.

I actually meant to imply that Lance would start, not that he wouldn't. I've seen some asserting on other boards that they didn't see him starting and thought this may be a way to bolster my opinion that he definitely would, but the evidence supports both arguments.

Where did you find the info on past Captains? I looked in the stasgeek.com database and didn't find any reference to it. Was it just from memory?

in case

in case these guys ever read these boards:

Congrats Lance and Jon

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post

I think Lance is going to get more than a few starts. Its funny how we needed Kyle and Lance's versatility to play the post the last few years, and now need the same versatility on the perimeter. Lance is going to play minutes at the 3 this year, he'll have to, and while I don't think he'll start there his versatility is going to earn him major mins, imo.

Congrats on both. I really like the Lance selection. He is crazy on the court. His aggressive clapping before or after a freethrow is the single most fun... and funny... about his game. I'm glad that he got the nob over Singler. Lance deserves it!

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Where did you find the info on past Captains?
    There's a list here, but it ends with 2006:

http://www.dukeupdate.com/Records/team_captains.htm