Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think Tech may struggle this year. Besides the player losses, the Hokies lost Brad Greenberg (who is Seth's brother, not son), who takes over as the Radford HC. Brad's a smart guy and at times Seth and Brad seemed almost like co-coaches. It may affect Tech (and Seth) when adversity hits...

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Munson transfer

Losing Nigel Munson to transfer is a worse case scenario for the Hokies. I think VT had a chance at being a suprise team in the ACC next year and winning around 9 games, more than alot of people were thinking. But all of that hinged on Munson being their point guard. Why he would transfer when he was a guarenteed starter is just baffling to me unless there is more to the story. The only thing i have seen regarding a reason for his transfer mentions his wanting to be closer to home. Right. What a head scratcher. Being a college coach has got to be quite the emotional ride. Who knows where VT will end up now , they have got find a PG. They still have some talent at the other positions but without a distributor will struggle mightily on offense.

I've been watching and following the Kenner League summer games in DC this month, and Deron Washington has been super-impressive. He's a very athletic guy.

Washington

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I've been watching and following the Kenner League summer games in DC this month, and Deron Washington has been super-impressive. He's a very athletic guy.
    I think Deron Washington needs to step up as a leader this year for VT to have chance at getting above .500 in the ACC.

Munson likely transferring

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Losing Nigel Munson to transfer is a worse case scenario for the Hokies. I think VT had a chance at being a suprise team in the ACC next year and winning around 9 games, more than alot of people were thinking. But all of that hinged on Munson being their point guard. Why he would transfer when he was a guarenteed starter is just baffling to me unless there is more to the story. The only thing i have seen regarding a reason for his transfer mentions his wanting to be closer to home. Right. What a head scratcher. Being a college coach has got to be quite the emotional ride. Who knows where VT will end up now , they have got find a PG. They still have some talent at the other positions but without a distributor will struggle mightily on offense.
    link

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs...akes_the_Court

While looking for this, also noticed Paco Diaw from GA Tech is transferring, but not as big a loss

http://www.scacchoops.com/forms/tt_N...nal.asp?NB=888

and this link regarding the NC State PG by committee

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/616872.html
    Last edited by ACCBBallFan; 07-23-2007 at 09:57 AM.

Hank Thorns

The Hokies signed 5'-9" Hank Thorns, out of Las Vegas to help with point guard duties. Besides having a name like an adult film star, Thorns is supposed to be quick and got some offers late in the game with Kentucky about to offer before he signed with the Hokies. See youtube video below of some game footage of Thorns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg8-XUPtpo0

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    The Hokies signed 5'-9" Hank Thorns, out of Las Vegas to help with point guard duties. Besides having a name like an adult film star, Thorns is supposed to be quick and got some offers late in the game with Kentucky about to offer before he signed with the Hokies. See youtube video below of some game footage of Thorns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg8-XUPtpo0
    Hank Thorns may be a small step inthe right direction, but far cry from Dowdell or Gordon.

http://www.rivals.com/viewprospect.a...2&pr_key=64846

IN ACC Thorns will find the competition and experience overwhelming from Singletary, Lawson, Rice, Hammonds Paulus, Ish Smith, Vasquez and Toney Douglas.

VA Tech does play GA Tech who will be equally raw at PG twice, they have to play NC State where PG is also problematic away and do get Miami at home.

Long season for the Hokies, who seem to play well every other year since joining the ACC:

22-12 (10-6)
    14-16 (4-12)
    16-14 (8-8) Seth was ACC Coach of the Year

Losing Munson really is a huge hit for VT. Its just rumors what the motive is but it appeared that he was just really homesick last year, and there is apparently some issue involving his girlfriend which is really what spurred this. I'll give you one guess what that sudden issue could be.

The other, juicier rumor is apparently his release is conditional on him not going to GW. The name GW has come up three times for VT in the last year. First we had a player (Witherspoon) who requested a release saying he was going to go back to Georgia to be with his ailing mother but then ended up at GW. Second, a VT recruit (Gus Gilchrist) backed out of his LOI citing the shootings. It looks like he will prep but someone connected to a former team he played on has said he would go to GW. Third, before that happened someone called up all of VT’s recruits and brought up the shooting incident, and Greenberg implied it was someone from a DC area school. It goes without saying it wouldn’t be UMD or Georgetown. Anyways, just more message board rumors, really.

As for how VT will fare without Munson, it’s really hard to say right now. VT finally has a good selection of shooters and forwards at its disposal but now there is no one to distribute the ball. Thorns is by many accounts a fast, talented player, but he was a one-man show in a mediocre high school league and will probably really struggle trying to run an offense, let alone defending much bigger guards or the likes of Singletary. Before, I figured VT would equal their success last year, but now the season will probably be a write-off.

Welcome to the board. Its always good to hear from fans of the other schools.

Quote Originally Posted by VTemanresu View Post
    The other, juicier rumor is apparently his release is conditional on him not going to GW. The name GW has come up three times for VT in the last year. First we had a player (Witherspoon) who requested a release saying he was going to go back to Georgia to be with his ailing mother but then ended up at GW. Second, a VT recruit (Gus Gilchrist) backed out of his LOI citing the shootings. It looks like he will prep but someone connected to a former team he played on has said he would go to GW. Third, before that happened someone called up all of VT’s recruits and brought up the shooting incident, and Greenberg implied it was someone from a DC area school. It goes without saying it wouldn’t be UMD or Georgetown. Anyways, just more message board rumors, really.
    I hadn't heard this rumor, pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by VTemanresu View Post
    Before, I figured VT would equal their success last year, but now the season will probably be a write-off.
    Thats pretty much what I was thinking too. Its unfortunate as like you said VT has some talent and could have been a suprise. They still could be if either Thorns or Delaney are able to hold their own but i agree with you in that is too much to expect from a freshman in the ACC, even if is a down year.