I have a dream...

I have a dream that the Duke football fans will someday (Soon) celebrate like the Washington fans did today. 0-12 to beating the Trojans the next year. Congrats U-Dub.

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    I have a dream that the Duke football fans will someday (Soon) celebrate like the Washington fans did today. 0-12 to beating the Trojans the next year. Congrats U-Dub.

GO DUKE!
    There are many of us who share that dream, some who remember when Duke was great and others who want to experience that greatness.

I hope you'll be in the stands next Saturday! Change is in the wind!

Thumbs up Keep it up

My youngest daughter is a UDUB alum, and I went to a game in their stadium while she was still a student. It was the most beautiful football stadium I could ever imagine. As the sun set over the sound behind the scoreboard, with the purple colors of the fans and stadium painted background becoming lit up by the lights and contrasted with the white and gold of the stadium, you could see the mountains across the water being outlined by the sun's rays, etc. I can't write for you-know-what (I was a math major)........ You could even see the yachts anchored just beyond the scoreboard partying it up. Add in the fall colors of the leaves, the crisp fall weather, and the roar of the jam-packed stadium, it just seemed so magical.

I told my daughter that wherever she decided to go to school, she needed to also consider the traditions of the school and become an active participant. UDUB has a wonderful football Pac-10 tradition of competitiveness and success, just as we do in ACC basketball and had in football. Well, she did become active, and called me yesterday to make sure I watched the game because she said that they would win. I couldn't because it wasn't being broadcast in my area, but I followed it on the sports wrap-ups and the net during the game. She, obviously, got it right.

When I come back to Duke for a bball game, the same kind of magic I had in Washington (and more) begins to come back as soon as I start walking towards the (Cameron) Indoor Stadium.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this also could spill over into Duke Football?

We had it in very distant past, and it would be outstanding if we could pull it off again. I say go for it! And, as long as loyal fans like Ozzie and Devil in the Blue Dress keep up their involvement, I think we have a shot.

ricks

Unhappy oh well

I hated giving up being Sean Dockery, as he was one of my many favorite players, but I just had to make that last post.

ricks

I went to the UW-LSU game a couple weeks ago (in Seattle for a double Dukie wedding) with a few friends of mine, and wow that stadium rocks! It was one of the crunkest crowds I've seen. You couldn't tell that they were coming off an 0-12 season. I pray daily that one day, we have a similar atmosphere for every football game.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

What does "crunkest" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I went to the UW-LSU game a couple weeks ago (in Seattle for a double Dukie wedding) with a few friends of mine, and wow that stadium rocks! It was one of the crunkest crowds I've seen. You couldn't tell that they were coming off an 0-12 season. I pray daily that one day, we have a similar atmosphere for every football game.
    Hi,

What does that mean? Sorry, not familiar with the term.

GO DUKE!

Hi,

GO DUKE!
    Me neither. But the online slang dictionary knew

Hi,

GO DUKE!
    Speaking of Duke football + crunk, BSA gave out t-shirts in 2005 saying "C is for Crunk" on the front and then "BSA's Ten Rules for Tailgate Crunkness" on the back. 1-6 are all tailgate-related. Finally, #7 is "Stay crunk for the game." Definitely showed the mindset of Duke fans...Look forward to tailgate, not so much for the game. Hopefully, it will turn around eventually.

From the what if dept. If Coach Cut and his staff had the talent level of Carl Franks or early Ted Roof imagine what we would be like. Remember we had two former Duke players in the Super Bowl in Jan. One now owns a ring the other scored a TD for the opposition. I think if they can keep their recruits for next year committed we will all be happy real soon. Go Devils.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    From the what if dept. If Coach Cut and his staff had the talent level of Carl Franks or early Ted Roof imagine what we would be like. Remember we had two former Duke players in the Super Bowl in Jan. One now owns a ring the other scored a TD for the opposition. I think if they can keep their recruits for next year committed we will all be happy real soon. Go Devils.
    We don't have to go that far back to ask what if. Look at last year's seniors and the current seniors... The truth is in football a few good players aren't enough despite how good the coach is.

The level of conditioning in the past wasn't enough either. While many wanted to blame the strength/conditioning coaches over the years, the responsibility goes back to the head coach for setting the standards and expectations in strength and conditioning as well as all other areas. The current staff is the first one in many years to emphasize all the areas needed for the team as a whole to be successful.

Coach Cutcliffe tells the players to let go of the mistakes (after studying them to learn from them) and focus on the positives to move ahead. I think this is good advice.

Sometimes when I'm at other schools, I sort of wish I'd gone there for Ugrad and maybe managed to mix in Duke later. Washington is definitely up there with WVU and Indiana.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine