Thread: Your Dog's Mind

Your Dog's Mind

This sounds cool. Anybody down there going to participate?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...0.html?cnn=yes

My guys are not too good with the pointing thing, but my parents' Yorkie sure is. About the smartest thing my Pancho does is, when I break a biscuit in half for him and Cisco to share, Pancho will measure each half and take the half that is obviously bigger. If they are close in size, he always takes the one in my right hand.

Thanks for the link. Very cool. I would love to participate but likely can not since I'm 559 miles away.

My lab knows her toys by name (duck, football, soccer ball Frisbee, . . .). I need to teach her some more. To get up to 200, I'll need to buy more toys.

I'm not so sure about the part involving the dogs that curl their tail under when they've done something wrong. Their studies concluded that the dog was reacting to the anger/disappointment of the humans instead of showing guilt for what they did.

I distinctly remember our dogs meeting us at the door with sunken heads and tails curled under before we even knew they had done anything wrong. As a matter of fact, that was usually the first indicator to us that they had misbehaved.

Anyone else have experiences with this?

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    I'm not so sure about the part involving the dogs that curl their tail under when they've done something wrong. Their studies concluded that the dog was reacting to the anger/disappointment of the humans instead of showing guilt for what they did.

I distinctly remember our dogs meeting us at the door with sunken heads and tails curled under before we even knew they had done anything wrong. As a matter of fact, that was usually the first indicator to us that they had misbehaved.

Definitely. Cisco has a bad habit of pooping in the morning at the top of the stairs. I know instantly when he has done it and when he has not before I even look - when I reach for him to take him downstairs, if he rolls on his back with tail tucked, he's pooped. Otherwise he will run downstairs himself.

Pancho tucks and ducks, but usually in response to my saying his name loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post

absolutely! With three dogs in the house I always know which one hs done something wrong during they day...it is the dog that is NOT at the door greeting me!

Last night I had a crazy dream, about a chi.., wait, that's a different thread.

Last night, while getting ready for bed, I said to my lovely wife, "hey, I forgot to do the dog's ears". My lab, Kayla, heard this and then sprinted away and hid under the bed.

Kayla has an ear infection and doesn't like to get the lotion put in her ear.

I'm convinced she heard the word "ear" and associated it with the application of medicine, engaged the cerebral cortex and executed an escape maneuver to extricate herself from harms way.

This suggests to me a canine intelligence far greater than the smartest of tar heels.

I have to put drops in Cisco's ears on occasion. I keep the bottle in the butter tray in the frig, where I also keep the margarine and some hard boiled eggs. I open the frig pretty much every day like everyone else. I swear to you, I can say nothing about putting drops in his ears, but if I'm going in the frig to get his meds, Cisco runs upstairs to hide. How on earth does he know what I'm going to do? Must be my "energy", as Cesar would say.