My buddy, Damone (a US soldier)

Hey guys,

Please pray for Damone, who ships out today as a Special Forces soldier (3rd deployment, two previous in Iraq) to Afghanistan. He's going on patrol (again) and does some 'inside work' as part of his role in the armed forces; he recounted to me last week the experience of losing two guys in his unit, recently. He made a plaque for me which shows the picture of him and his wife at Pope Air Force base; I told him the one regret I have in life is that I never did military service. At least this way, I can go with him.

I also thought you'd enjoy a You Tube video of him and his K9 over in Afghanistan. I hope this link works! Also, Damone is the guy sporting the beard (the big beard); he's the trainer/handler for 'Argus' and they call him 'Staff Sgt. D' in the video.

Thank you,

dukestheheat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBzq-qTwNLU
    Last edited by dukestheheat; 09-14-2009 at 08:25 AM.

Godspeed to Damone and the special forces and Argus! Definitely will keep them in mind and hope that they all stay well, strong and return home soon.
    Very thankful for their courage and service.

Thank you to him and to all that serve.

Godspeed to Damone and his servicemates. I hope you post about his future homecoming and the resultant party.

Thats an Awesome video. I know what you are going through...one of my best friends is heading back for his third deployment to Afghan later this month, he's in Army SF as well. He volunteered to go back after a tour in Columbia...God Bless him and all the brave men and women who serve for our freedom. Good speed Staff Sg. D and my brother Q.

I will pray for him and I hope he recognizes that the American people have profound respect for the sacrifices he -- and his peers -- makes daily.

A quick update: Damone sends me an email today and three guys were killed yesterday in Afghanistan, and Damone says he knows one of them well.

Find it here: http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20...090917-02.html

Also, know that Damone is reading this thread, so any words of encouragement will be read (by Damone) with great interest. He's right there in the fire zone, guys.

thanks team,

dukestheheat

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Also, know that Damone is reading this thread, so any words of encouragement will be read (by Damone) with great interest.
    Damone, words are not really enough, but they are all I can offer right now: your service is greatly appreciated. Your task seems immensely difficult, but also immensely important. Godspeed.

Stay safe, Damone

Thank you seems so inadequate, but they are the only words I have. Please know that you and all our service members are in my daily prayers.

Be safe.

Barbara

Hey everybody,

A quick update on our soldier, Damone. He's now back in the USA and is reunited with his family. It was just great to see him this weekend.

He was due home in January 2010, buuuuuuuuut...his convoy truck (an 'RG-31' if I recall it correctly) was hit by an IED and unfortunately, he was blown into the top of the truck and he sustained some head injuries (minor), so the government sent him home. He was wearing his helmet, which may have saved him from grave injury. His dog, Argus, was trapped in the truck and Damone was able to help free him, luckily. Argus did go into attack mode after the IED attack, though, attacking any innocent Afghani that would walk up to the unit, so they've had to put him into a lesser role. He's having some sort of post traumatic stress, apparently.

Damone had a CT scan upon his return home last week and thankfully, there is no residual, lasting damage to his brain; he still is having headaches from the blast and has had some nightmares but now these are receeding as well. He told me he was 100% sure that he was going to die when the truck blew up.

He did lose several close friends to IED attacks while in Afghanistan this time, and this is his 4th tour of duty for his country.

Please, join me in welcoming Damone home (he read this thread while he was in Afghanistan, folks, and your words DID ENCOURAGE him Duke family!) from the war!!!!

thank you,

Dukestheheat.

welcome home Damone!!!!

thank you so much for your service to keep our country the home of the free and brave!

Glad you are safe and sound here at home Damone, thank you for your bravery and service.
    I'm very sorry about the loss of your friends and comrades, please know that we are forever in their debt.
    I hope you enjoy a blessed holiday season safe in the hearts and arms of your family.

Welcome home, Damone. I'm glad to know Argus is safe as well. Thank you for your service.

Welcome Home, Damone. Thank you for all you do for our country. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friends and comrades in arms.

Enjoyed a blessed holiday season with your family.

DukieInKAnsas

Welcome home D. I am very sorry to hear about your friends and comrades who were not so fortunate. My buddy Q ended up at the bottom of a well when he was his with an IED...glad to hear that you were ultimately able to walk away from this one. Know that there are people who are very grateful for your service. It is people like you that allow us to post freely on message boards like this, much less every other freedom we have. God Bless.