Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

FB: Kansas 44, Duke 19

FWIW. I would still start Thad next week.

As I just posted on the Duke/Army thread... I would start whomever Coach Cut tells me to

GO DUKE!!!!!!

It's time to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    FWIW. I would still start Thad next week.
    I'm interested in why you feel this way. I've seen every snap of both games, and Thad's on the field execution could not grade out well by any standard i know of. I've said on this board that I thought Thad had the chance to be the best QB in the ACC this season. I thought that with an off season to learn the new plays, and to learn from Cutcliff, along with his talent (which is obviously substantial), he would look a lot better than previous years. i was wrong. After two games, he clearly does not look improved. IMO Army would be in the loss column if Thad had played the whole game. There may be factors the fan can't see. Thad's leadership is a positive, maybe Sean Renfree doesn't know the playbook as well as Thad, whatever . . . I would still start Sean next week.
    GTHC

Thad has worked his butt off in his career here at Duke, but Renfree is the better quarterback for this team.

Duke looked horrible while Thad was in their yesterday. Their offense looked so much better in the late second half.

Sean Renfree should be the new quarterback for Duke, (if were trying to win games.)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think it will be Thad. I'll be happy with whoever goes out there, and my guess is practice will tell the tale this week.
    The best thing is, regardless of who starts, there will be a guy on the sidelines who has game experience and has led the team to a win.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Against a good Kansas team, playing in their yard, and with our inexperienced O line, I start Lewis. Let him establish a rhythm with short quick routes and see if he can produce. That said, I would have young John Unitas (19) heavily involved with the first team offense in practice as well.

This season also counts as one of Renfree's 4 and i understand the staff is aware that we may only have Renfree for 3 seasons before he goes pro a year early like Dave Brown. We better take advantage of Renfree now. I dont know a single person close to the Program as in watching the spring game, scrimmages, and now the first two games in person, who thinks Lewis is the better qb. After the embarrassing Richmond loss, and Lewis not reading defensive schemes per Cut, which Lewis missed reading again (blitzes) in the Army game, if Cut starts Lewis versus Kansas and Lewis faulters again, when so many folks think Renfree is better, thats substantial downside for Cut. Not where I want to see Cut when we are trying to build a Program, raise money, land top recruits nationally. There is little downside in starting Renfree.

Hmmm...

I suspect Sean's on his way to being the starting QB, if he continues to perform well. The question is how Cut handles it. I suspect both will play substantial number of plays against Kansas. I don't know who will start.

sagegrouse

I think Thad has earned the right to start at Kansas. He has taken so many hits over the years but still straps his helmut on and goes out there. I don't know quite frankly if I would be that brave. If he can have a good start to the game on Sat. the team will respond. If not there now seems to be another option.

I think Thad has earned the right to start at Kansas. He has taken so many hits over the years but still straps his helmut on and goes out there.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I think Sean earned the right to start. I don't think we win that game if Thad stayed in. I want Duke to win football games and I think Sean gives us the best chance. I have been at scrimmages, the Richmond game and watched the entire Army game on TV. It is overwhelming to me how much Renfree looks like the better QB. I understand it is Thad's senior year, but Sean has played better. The better QB should play. The team deserves that, the fans deserve that, and Sean Renfree earned his start against Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Man View Post
    I think Sean earned the right to start. I don't think we win that game if Thad stayed in. I want Duke to win football games and I think Sean gives us the best chance. I have been at scrimmages, the Richmond game and watched the entire Army game on TV. It is overwhelming to me how much Renfree looks like the better QB. I understand it is Thad's senior year, but Sean has played better. The better QB should play. The team deserves that, the fans deserve that, and Sean Renfree earned his start against Kansas.
    I completely agree with you. Sports is (or should be) a meritocracy. The best player plays every time. Sentimentality for seniors should be reserved for old age.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    That's toooooo funny. Wacky Germans.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think Thad has earned the right to start at Kansas.
    The one and only way you earn the right to start is by being the best player at your position and unless everything I saw yesterday was some sort of fluke, that description does not fit Lewis right now.

I'm OK with Lewis playing and even running the first drive or two, but Renfree should get most of the snaps.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    This season also counts as one of Renfree's 4 and i understand the staff is aware that we may only have Renfree for 3 seasons before he goes pro a year early like Dave Brown. We better take advantage of Renfree now. I dont know a single person close to the Program as in watching the spring game, scrimmages, and now the first two games in person, who thinks Lewis is the better qb. After the embarrassing Richmond loss, and Lewis not reading defensive schemes per Cut, which Lewis missed reading again (blitzes) in the Army game, if Cut starts Lewis versus Kansas and Lewis faulters again, when so many folks think Renfree is better, thats substantial downside for Cut. Not where I want to see Cut when we are trying to build a Program, raise money, land top recruits nationally. There is little downside in starting Renfree.
    After finally seeing what we've been saying for so long (put in the taller QB), I will have to disagree with you on this one. I think Lewis starts against the Jayhawks. Especially listening to Cut in interviews after the game yesterday. I don't think you pull a four year starter after two games. However, I think Cut has a quicker hook than in the past.

I don't think there's the downside for Cut. If he starts Lewis, it says that you don't lose your starting position for a bad outing, but you still have to perform (and shows it by putting in Renfree.)

If it's clear that we're not going bowling (it may be realistic right now, but not an absolute) I think Renfree replaces Lewis as the starter (other than perhaps the last home game.) It's the same thing Coach K did when he put in the four freshmen starters in 1983, and basically told the seniors (Tissaw, Emma Engleland) that the team has to move on and give the other guys experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    If it's clear that we're not going bowling (it may be realistic right now, but not an absolute) I think Renfree replaces Lewis as the starter (other than perhaps the last home game.)
    There's no need to consider the issue of giving a first-year guy experience at the expense of short-term benefits - playing Renfree appears to be the best decision for both the present and the future.

I still need to watch the second half, but if the stat line resembles reality, I think you have to start Renfree - or at least give him significant time early. I appreciate that upper class players at all positions have bled for this program, and I applaud them. But if there are better players below them, the better players should start. In college football, everyone's position should be in jeopardy if there is potentially someone behind them that can do a better job. Seniority should only mean something if it's one of the factors that make you a better player than those you are competing against for a job.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    There's no need to consider the issue of giving a first-year guy experience at the expense of short-term benefits - playing Renfree appears to be the best decision for both the present and the future.
    I don't disagree that Renfree looks like the better overall QB, you can look at the archives to see that FDA and I were about the only ones talking about alternative QBs for the past couple of seasons. As it turns out, Azack wasn't the answer (clearly shown at Clemson and VT) but Lewis's deficiencies outweigh his positives compared to what we've seen of Renfree so far.(and he definitely has many positives, none of what I've written now or in the past questions his dedication and that he was the best for the position in the past.)

But remember that we're talking about half a game. If we base things on that, perhaps the Cowboys should bring back Clint Longley. (And no, that's all I want to see from that comparison, I don't expect to see Renfree sucker punch Thad in the locker room any time soon.)

If Duke wins at Kansas...

Hello,

If Duke wins would this would be the first time Duke beat a ranked team since when? Winning sounds good to me, I have confidence that Coach Cut will put in the right QB. Here's to peace of mind for Coach Cut making the tough and right decisions.

Thanks

GO DUKE!

Here is the answer to the question you are waiting for:
    Not my preference but I'm not being paid to coach.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college...story/5992375/