Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    My son (see my screen name) is in as "Collins Hill Eagle"

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    .They play another really bad teams, the Rams in week 9, but that game as well as games with Buffalo and Washington (who I think could both be pretty bad this year) are all on the road.
    Generally a good survivor strategy is to pick one or two really bad teams and bet against them all year (if you picked against Detroit every time last year and didn't mess up your bye week, you won your survivor pool). 0-16 isn't likely to happen very often, but there are always some 4 win teams that are pretty safe on a weekly basis (until of course they play each other, there is always one or two weeks in survivor where it seems the good teams all play each other and the bad teams all play each other, those are not fun).

However, not to threadjack, but as a Skins fan I'm curious as to why you think they will be "pick against in survivor pool" bad. They were 8-8 last year (admittedly 2-6 down the stretch) with a first year head coach. They lost virtually nothing from that team, and added Haynesworth to a top 5 defense. Campbell and Zorn each have another year of working together, they still have Portis and the o-line is now healthy (the main reason for the collapse last year). I'm not saying they are super bowl contenders as they are still thin at o-line and receiver (and maybe corner if Carlos Rogers is really hurt), but the defense and Portis should keep them in a lot of games, and they have a very easy schedule outside of the NFC east. I think a bad season for them is 6-10 or 7-9, with a good season potentially getting to 10 wins. I think they'll be competative in most games as they will keep the score down, and not a team I'd want to bet against in survivor. Detroit, Oakland, Cleveland, NY Jets, Rams, and Niners I think are the best bets to be the 4 wins or less teams.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    My oldest son squeaked in under the wire as PatsFan.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    However, not to threadjack, but as a Skins fan I'm curious as to why you think they will be "pick against in survivor pool" bad. They were 8-8 last year (admittedly 2-6 down the stretch) with a first year head coach. They lost virtually nothing from that team, and added Haynesworth to a top 5 defense. Campbell and Zorn each have another year of working together, they still have Portis and the o-line is now healthy (the main reason for the collapse last year). I'm not saying they are super bowl contenders as they are still thin at o-line and receiver (and maybe corner if Carlos Rogers is really hurt), but the defense and Portis should keep them in a lot of games, and they have a very easy schedule outside of the NFC east. I think a bad season for them is 6-10 or 7-9, with a good season potentially getting to 10 wins. I think they'll be competative in most games as they will keep the score down, and not a team I'd want to bet against in survivor. Detroit, Oakland, Cleveland, NY Jets, Rams, and Niners I think are the best bets to be the 4 wins or less teams.
    I was merely looking at other opportunities for picking the Saints. I was not saying the Redskins would be a good team to pick against. There are just not that many games on the Saints sched where I would feel ok picking them.

--Jason "I agree that the Skins look like about a .500 team -- picking against them at home would be foolish" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 09-11-2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Wrote wrong team name-- corrected
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I follow the strategy of taking things "one game at a time" for the most part. Especially this early. I agree that if you are looking to go 17 and 0 (as my team name would suggest) that you would want to plan ahead and picking the Saints might be a better pick from that point of view. The other side of the coin is that if you don't feel comfortable picking the Saints in any other games this year, then how comfortable can you really feel about picking them in this one? I'd rather pick the best teams early and figure the rest out later. In the last survivor pool I was in (I think it was the DBR one 2 years ago) the winner was crowned in like week 8 or so.

As for picking against the Lions every week... you can't do that as they will play the same team more than once (also they have a bye). Plus I think the NFL record for losses in a row is like 26 and they are at 17. What are the odds that they break that record? You can however pick against them the 1st 6 weeks (then they have their bye). Week 8 they play the Rams and you can probably find a better game than that to pick.
    Last edited by InSpades; 09-11-2009 at 10:25 AM.

With the Saints' victory over the Lions, I advance to Week 2 for the first time in DBR Survival Football. Now it is time to ride that momentum.
    Bob Green

I picked the Chargers, and Yahoo has already given me credit for the victory, even though they don't play till tomorrow night! LOLOL
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    With the Saints' victory over the Lions, I advance to Week 2 for the first time in DBR Survival Football. Now it is time to ride that momentum.
    Congratulations Bob!

I was watching the Tour of Missouri bike race live and didn't watch games today. When I heard a chefs score of 17-17 there was a brief moment of panic since I picked the Ravens today and I was worried about survivor football. There was a part of me happy for the chefs. Didn't have to worry - the chefs did as expected and I move on to next week.

So, the Chargers decided to do all they could to make fools out of Yahoo, but in the end it was not enough and they squeaked their way to victory. Still alive!

2003-2004 HLM

Sue's PSA: Don't forget to make your pick this week.

All I have for internet at the moment is my cell. How many people got bumped?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    All I have for internet at the moment is my cell. How many people got bumped?
    Just 2 I think. The people who had Green Bay. 2 of the top 4 most popular picks (over all yahoo survivor picks) lost this week. And another almost lost (Washington). I went with "whoever is playing Detroit" this week and it did not fail me . Green Bay was 6-10 last year (and they play Detroit twice per year)... they had a lot of hype coming into the year but they are pretty hard to figure out. They beat Detroit twice and then some pretty good teams (Chicago, Minnesota, Indianapolis and Seattle). Yet somehow managed to lose the other 10.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    I went with "whoever is playing Detroit" this week and it did not fail me .
    I also employed the "whoever is playing Detroit" strategy to advance to Week 3. However, next week the Lions host the Redskins so I'm going to jump off the Detroit will lose bandwagon and most likely select the NY Giants to defeat Tampa Bay.
    Bob Green

I was watching the end of the Bears/Steelers game on my computer and when the Bears won, I immediately thought I was out, as I originally picked the Steelers. I then checked and found out that I had changed my pick to Washington (why on earth did I pick them). I'm still in it.

This week, my beloved Lions take on the Skins at home. I live here in DC so of course I'll be somewhere taking it to Skins fans. However, I might just do the boldest thing ever and actually CHOOSE the LIONS to WIN! Only time will tell

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    However, I might just do the boldest thing ever and actually CHOOSE the LIONS to WIN! Only time will tell
    One thing is for sure, if you pick the Lions to win and advance to Week 4, you will have earned some bragging rights.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    One thing is for sure, if you pick the Lions to win and advance to Week 4, you will have earned some bragging rights.
    If you pick the Lions and they win, I will personally bestow upon you the massive prize I got last year when I won this thing

-Jason "go for it... I dare ya!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Jason, shouldn't you update your location to include the flooding going on there?

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Jason, shouldn't you update your location to include the flooding going on there?
    Yeah, and the sports teams are looking a significantly better than mediocre lately. One would have to say that the Hawks, Braves, and Falcons are all in the top third of the league in their sport -- which is not as easy to accomplish as one might think.

An update is due.

--Jason "also, I have my own rain story to tell... but it needs pictures. I'll post it soon" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "also, I have my own rain story to tell... but it needs pictures. I'll post it soon" Evans
    LOL @ your new location... I know I shouldn't but I did.