From Euroleague to US High School?

To say that trends in amateur basketball are in a state of flux is a serious understatement. Here is a story that goes against all recent logic:

According to an ESPN story posted today,

"Enes Kanter, a 6-foot-10 post player widely considered the top European prospect, will enroll at Findlay Prep on Wednesday."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highs...ory?id=4407971

Here is a kid that actually played in the Euroleague but is choosing to come to the US to a prep school originally funded by a UNLV booster (Cliff Findlay) and then to potentially play US college basketball.

What happened to the idea of players developing better fundamentals and pro style games in the year-round coaching climate of Europe?

I am officially confused.

Do you think we've reached out to Kanter yet? Is he invited to the Elite Camp? (I am half kidding/half serious)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If he's been paid to play, how can he ever play NCAA ball?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If he's been paid to play, how can he ever play NCAA ball?
    From the article:

"Kanter played briefly in the Euroleague but Peck, who has helped other European players wade through the NCAA Clearinghouse, doesn't expect there to be an issue with his eligibility.

"The key is he didn't accept any money or have a contract; even though other people on his team did and they were professionals, he was not," Peck said. "He'll have a laundry list of paperwork to get through, but that should be it.""

Apparently 50-60 schools are after Kanter and many have offered him without ever seeing or speaking with him. Pretty insane.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=980153

It doesn't mention Duke, but it does mention UNC as one of the schools.

I doubt Duke is showing any interest; he barely speaks English.
    Last edited by FireOgilvie; 08-25-2009 at 07:57 PM.

There is a discussion of Kanter and questions about his potential college eligibility on the "2010 Recruiting" thread, which has slipped to page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    ... I doubt Duke is showing any interest; he barely speaks English.
    In the late 70s, that would have qualified him as a TA in the Engine House.

Exactly. Math TA is what I was thinking.

Kanter Switches Schools

http://www.hoopsreport.com/news/hoop...emountainstate

Kanter, 6'10 class of 2010, made big news with his decision to come play in the states. Now, only two weeks later, the young man has already changed schools.
    This is getting interesting.

I think he may have gone to Mountain State Academy because another highly regarded Turkish player (Deniz Kilicli) went their last year. He was in the ESPNU top 100 and will be playing at West Virginia next year.

However, I have no idea why Kanter decided to withdraw from Findlay Prep so quickly, unless he was ruled ineligible for part of the season by the organization in charge of high school athletics in Nevada. I imagine Rick Barnes is quite disappointed by this turn of events, while Huggie has to be excited.

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    I think he may have gone to Mountain State Academy because another highly regarded Turkish player (Deniz Kilicli) went their last year. He was in the ESPNU top 100 and will be playing at West Virginia next year.

However, I have no idea why Kanter decided to withdraw from Findlay Prep so quickly, unless he was ruled ineligible for part of the season by the organization in charge of high school athletics in Nevada. I imagine Rick Barnes is quite disappointed by this turn of events, while Huggie has to be excited.
    I don't think Findlay prep is governed by any official body. They exist outside of whatever organization governs Nevada athletics and basically have no official eligibility requirements other than ones they impose on themselves. They're essentially a high school version of the Harlem Globetrotters, an independent high school team.

Still, they have to respond to some higher authority about the eligibility of their high school players, right? Otherwise, in theory, they could just use guys who washed out of the NBA, pay them above the NBDL rates, and win championships every year.

I realize that is an exaggerated example, but there has to be some organization that regulates what they can and cannot do, and while they seem to have more leeway than just about any other program in the country, they still have some limitations.