Thumbs up Survivor - 4-19 (Spoilers)

Game on!

Boy things are getting interesting. As I suggested last week, it's like a big game of no limit hold 'em right now and if I were to extend the analogy I'd say that Mookie, Edgardo and Alex got trapped last night by Earl, Yao Man, Boo, Dreams, Cassandra and Stacy.

One of the most priceless moments of the television season for me was the sudden change of expression on the faces of Alex, Mookie and Edgardo when Jeff read the first Edgardo vote. While the Cassandra votes were being read, the were looking at each other with smug, conniving proud of themselves smiles. Those looks changed slightly, adding a dash of confusion when the Mookie vote was read. And then when the first Edgardo vote was read, their expressions went completely dead, and all the color seemed to drain from their faces. It reminded me of the moment in A Bronx Tale when the biker gang comes to the bar and start causing a ruckus. They are first asked politely to leave but this only incites them more. Then there is that beautiful moment in the film when Sonny (Chazz Palminteri) locks the door and says, "First we asked you to leave, now yous can't leave." In that moment you see the rowdy, belligerent and confident looks on the faces bikers completely change to looks of fear and doubt. And as C says in the next lines, "I will never forget the look on their faces. ...Their faces dropped. All their courage and strength was drained from their bodies.." That was the three horsemen last night. I loved it. I loved it so much I had to rewatch it about five times.

I also loved the looks from Yao Man and Earl during the vote and the jury reactions.

If the next few weeks are anything like this week, I can't wait.

Also, very interesting that they are going to re-hide the idol.
    Last edited by mr. synellinden; 04-20-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Completely agree, that tribal council was perhaps the most entertaining ever. Each side came in thinking they were about to pull the move of the game, and when the Alex, Mookie, Edgardo side realized they had been "got", the reactions all around were priceless.

The re-hiding of the idol is a brilliant move, as it brings so much more strategy to the game other than simply talking when they are at camp.

This season has suddenly got very interesting.

Idol wonderings

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    The re-hiding of the idol is a brilliant move, as it brings so much more strategy to the game other than simply talking when they are at camp.

This season has suddenly got very interesting.
    Now who they send to Exile Island has meaning again. Depending on who wins the power to choose, I bet that Earl is sent since Alex and Mookie think he has the other idol, while of course it is Yao Man that has it. Or does Alex/Mookie send the other of them if they can so they can find the new idol? Fascinating twist! And does anyone remember the fake idol that Yao put in the hole? I wonder if anyone has found that and if they will try to play it, only to discover it is a fake?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

idols

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And does anyone remember the fake idol that Yao put in the hole? I wonder if anyone has found that and if they will try to play it, only to discover it is a fake?
    I hope that someone tries to play it! I'd love to see how Probst would handle that situation, and the reactions of those that know it isn't the idol.

Also, previews for next week seem to indicate that Mookie and Alex go searching through Yaoman's stuff looking for the idol. I'm assuming they could steal if it they wanted, which could turn the game pretty dirty if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    One of the most priceless moments of the television season for me was the sudden change of expression on the faces of Alex, Mookie and Edgardo when Jeff read the first Edgardo vote.
    That was undoubtedly one of the top ten Survivor moments ever! I kept rewinding it to watch it again. The falling smile on both Edgardo and Alex were perfect. I have to admit, I felt a little bad for Edgardo. But not too bad. That was one of the most flippy, strategy packed episodes I can remember. Fun, fun, fun to watch.

I also enjoyed Stacy having to repeatedly hear how little everyone thinks of her. After the way she treated "Dreamz" in the beginning, it was well earned. Now, though, she's setting herself up to be the perfect person to take to the final 2. She knows what she's doing. After all, the Edgardo idea was hers. It may have seemed obvious to me at the time, but none of the others seemed to be coming up with it.

Rehiding the idol is great! But I hope they can't steal it. Seeing from the scenes coming up that they hunt through Yao's things...eeps. He should always keep it on him, like Mookie did. And even if the fake idol is found, they've all seen the real one now. I doubt they'd buy it. It would be awesome if they did though! Looks like next week might be a doozy too.

Finally got around to seeing the episode last night-- it was one of the best ones in Survivor history. Tons of intrigue and scheming and then a truly classic Tribal Council. The smiles turned to grimaces were amazing!!

Comments:
    Dreamz strategy of playing both sides was brilliant, though it may hae been accidental. He got it to where he knew exactly what both teams were doing (at least the thought so) which allowed him to pick which side was stronger and make sure the other side lost. The one guy who was not nervous the whole time was Dreamz (though I imagine he was a bit confused when his Mookie vote was just sorta hanging out there. I hope Dreamz does not feel betrayed by Earl and Cassandra, though if he does what is he gonna do about it? They had to make sure they knew what he was doing and now they do and they can trust him.

The key to the episode was Stacy. I am mystified as to how Alex and Eduardo did such a bad job of bringing her back in with them but when she was gone to the other side they were toast. I loved it when Alex was rcounting his strange conversation with her and Eduardo said, "she's not with us." Ed really knew what was going on but did a poor job of making it work for him.

Frankly, Mookie is the guy who played things really poorly. He needed to get back with Earl from the start. When he tried to keep Michelle around, that was a "faithful to Earl" move. I cannot understand why he went back with Alex and Ed after that. He essnetially voluntarily joined a minority of 3 (with Dreamz maybe making it a minority of 4) instead of joining with Earl, Cassandra, Yao, and someone else to be in the majority. The opportunity was there. Earl would have trusted him, I think. And that would have been a smart group to be with because he would have had a better chance in challenges against them than he would if he was with Alex and Ed. Bad, bad, play. And the funiest part is that you could almost sense Mookie seeing it coming.

Earl and Yao remain in great position to win it all. Poeple like them, they have not lied or stabbed anyone in the back or even turned on anyone who did not turn on them first. And, as an added bonus, they are doing well in challenges so they appear to be deserving. At this point, I'll be shocked if one of them does not win. Cassandra looks like the only other person who would stand a chance against one of them in a vote. Her win in the "know the Survivors" challenge was impressive. If she can manage one more key win then she will look deserving of the money too.

Oh, and I cannot say enough about how brilliant Cassandra's choices were to take with her on the boat. As soon as she won, I said, "she must take Boo, Dreamz, and one of Earl or Yao. If she takes Yao and Earl then she is throwing away an alliance with either Boo or Dreamz and she cannot afford that." I wonder if Earl helped her make the choice, but he selection was brilliant! That is the classic moment when most Survivors make wrong choices and she made a smart one.

Clearly, Alex or Mookie go next unless they manage to steal Yao's idol. Earl's crew cannot send them to exile island out of fear that they would figure out where the idol is. I wonder what the show would do if they stole the idol from Yao. That would be the lowest move in Survivor history, but do the rules forbid it? I would hope they do. This season has pretty much been devoid of a big villian (Stacy was almost there but has redeemed herself). Stealing the idol would get Alex and Mookie on the villian path, for sure.

-Jason "after starting out slow, it has been one of the better Survivors in recent episodes" Evans

Arrow Survivor thefts

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Clearly, Alex or Mookie go next unless they manage to steal Yao's idol. ... I wonder what the show would do if they stole the idol from Yao. That would be the lowest move in Survivor history, but do the rules forbid it? I would hope they do. This season has pretty much been devoid of a big villian (Stacy was almost there but has redeemed herself). Stealing the idol would get Alex and Mookie on the villian path, for sure.
    Are you forgetting when Rupert "pirated" the other team's stuff in the first hour of his first show? That is looked upon by me as the funniest moment of Survivor history, and the moment when I started to really like him.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Are you forgetting when Rupert "pirated" the other team's stuff in the first hour of his first show? That is looked upon by me as the funniest moment of Survivor history, and the moment when I started to really like him.
    Stealing their stuff when they just leave it there out in the open is different than stealing an immunity idol by going through someone's pack.

Rupert's theft was awesome though.

-Jason "Mookie threw away his chance to win all so he could be with Alex-- I just don't get it" Evans