Page 5 of 156 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Why do you have to jump down everyone's throats? He was just making a passing comment.

I'm sure Harrison and Austin have been shown this by the staff, and they no doubt know how much respect almost all of K's former players have for him.
    Easy, tiger. I'm just sensitive to secondary NCAA violations. Harrison is in a "no contact" period right now, and contact with Austin by Duke boosters is restricted by NCAA rules. I'm all for enthusiasm, but not if it hurts the team.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    Easy, tiger. I'm just sensitive to secondary NCAA violations. Harrison is in a "no contact" period right now, and contact with Austin by Duke boosters is restricted by NCAA rules. I'm all for enthusiasm, but not if it hurts the team.

Peace.
    I am too. Big time. But, I'm pretty sure soccerstud2210 was just making a passing comment. I don't think he actually meant for someone to "send" them to them.

Doc was probably asking Brand whether Doc should make the Celtics tank the next 75 games so that the Celtics could draft the next L. Bird who happens go by the name Singler and plays at Duke.
    ~rthomas

Hoping

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Doc was probably asking Brand whether Doc should make the Celtics tank the next 75 games so that the Celtics could draft the next L. Bird who happens go by the name Singler and plays at Duke.
    That won't be necessary until next year?

Easy, tiger. I'm just sensitive to secondary NCAA violations.
    The next time a secondary violation has any impact on a college team will be the first time.

I don't think they are in need of information from Duke boosters, and I guarantee that the Duke staff doesn't want anyone here to forward stuff to them.
    sheesh dude, i was being sarcastic... notice the smiley face??? maybe i should have put more haha

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    sheesh dude, i was being sarcastic... notice the smiley face??? maybe i should have put more haha
    HAHAHA yea sometimes people take things wayyyy toooo literal on here. But to keep it all AR, i wonder what would happen if and hopefully when HB commits. He did say it depends on where people go, so with KI and HB does that automatically mean we get AR?

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    The next time a secondary violation has any impact on a college team will be the first time.
    Although it worked out in the end, I seem to recall a certain light blue team down the road lost a really humiliating early season game because a certain point guard had to sit out because of a 'secondary violation.'

Something that -just might- happen to us this year for the same reason...

Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    Although it worked out in the end, I seem to recall a certain light blue team down the road lost a really humiliating early season game because a certain point guard had to sit out because of a 'secondary violation.'

Something that -just might- happen to us this year for the same reason...

Just saying...
    Neither one of those was a recruiting violation.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    Throaty's handbook is missing this but sarcasm doesn't always come through on boards. There are lots of intellectually challenged people on message boards who say silly things and so things are often interpreted literally even if seemingly abnormal.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    HAHAHA yea sometimes people take things wayyyy toooo literal on here.
    No, we take things "literally," and we also try to write well. This is a board for sophisticated discussion, so people usually say what they mean given the medium. You have to take things literally unless otherwise indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Throaty's handbook is missing this but sarcasm doesn't always come through on boards. There are lots of intellectually challenged people on message boards who say silly things and so things are often interpreted literally even if seemingly abnormal.

No, we take things "literally," and we also try to write well. This is a board for sophisticated discussion, so people usually say what they mean given the medium. You have to take things literally unless otherwise indicated.
    Sophisticated discussion that is also allowed to have opinions and hopes.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Doc's making the rounds. Pagluca, Elton Brand, and now Grant Hill:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...icleid=1210261

Rivers’ son, Austin, a talented senior from Winter Park, Fla., is reconsidering an early commitment he made to play basketball at the University of Florida, and is now being recruited by an especially high level of Duke alumnus.

And we’re not just talking about Celtics managing partner Pagliuca.

Sixers forward Elton Brand spent a significant amount of time talking to the young Rivers after the Celtics’ win against Philadelphia on Tuesday.

Hill admitted last night he has been working on Austin’s case for a while now.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 11-09-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: edited for copyright concerns

Well, here's a question, and I'm not trying to raise a ruckus, but what's the difference between Grant Hill and Elton Brand talking to young Rivers and Joe Booster doing the same?

Austin quit playing around...

...and just admit you want to attend Duke and sign on the dotted line.

Given what I have read on here, I think I need to add...this is a humorous post and am sorry if it results in a secondary violation or he believes I am offering anything, well maybe some Cameron pop-corn after the game (is that a violation? Maybe it should be, it was sort of salty last time I had some. What if he gets an old maid in the pop-corn and it cracks his tooth and needs dental work...oy vey...maybe I better keep the pop-corn to myself.)

GO DUKE!

So it seems lke we're putting on a full court press to get Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, here's a question, and I'm not trying to raise a ruckus, but what's the difference between Grant Hill and Elton Brand talking to young Rivers and Joe Booster doing the same?
    Here, it appears that they're not contacting the recruit, they're just answering questions directed at them (by the recruit's father) about their personal experiences at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    ...and just admit you want to attend Duke and sign on the dotted line.

Given what I have read on here, I think I need to add...this is a humorous post and am sorry if it results in a secondary violation or he believes I am offering anything, well maybe some Cameron pop-corn after the game (is that a violation? Maybe it should be, it was sort of salty last time I had some. What if he gets an old maid in the pop-corn and it cracks his tooth and needs dental work...oy vey...maybe I better keep the pop-corn to myself.)

GO DUKE!
    Stream of consciousness post?

Stream of Jack Daniels post?

this is a humorous post
    I would debate, but let us keep this about Austin...

With schollies a bit tight next (recruiting) year, anyone think Doc would be willing to pay for Austin's first year?

There’s a reason that former players send their sons [to Duke]
    Grant Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    With schollies a bit tight next (recruiting) year, anyone think Doc would be willing to pay for Austin's first year?
    Why do you think they'll be tight in '11-'12?

Dawkins
    Czyz
    MP1
    MP2
    Irving
    Hairston
    Thornton
    Kelly
    Curry

These are the only confirmed players for that year. Even if we get Barnes that's still only 10. As of now, our main targets for that year are:

Rivers
    Miller
    MP3

If we get all 3, that would give us 13 IF we get Barnes and all the above players are still on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I'd bet a lot of money that Coach K isn't even entertaining that thought right now. If he's going to recruit a top 10 (top 5) guy, you go full court press and that doesn't mean discussing having rich daddy pay for the ride just b/c he can.

Now, Doc would probably be willing to pay if asked, but I don't see how or why this would even come up. MAYYYYBE it comes up if Austin signs and then there is another player we really covet in that class that we HAVE to make room for. But how awkward is it to court a guy really strongly, convince him Duke is the place for him instead of that other school he really likes, convince him he would be a star at Duke and we really REALLY want him...and then go back in a month after we convince him of all this and say: oh, but would you mind ponying up for the 1st year?

IMO, not happening. No one even think the word Melchionni. Top 100 recruit vs. Top 5. Coach K did it to accommodate Melchionni more than to accommodate his own needs. This would be to accommodate another recruit. Night and day. Besides, theres something important symbolically to offering a kid a scholarship to your school and coach K does not take that lightly. I would bet he would even refuse an offer from Doc/Austin to do that. This is just in the realm of almost ridiculous speculation, imo.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Why do you think they'll be tight in '11-'12?

Dawkins
    Czyz
    MP1
    MP2
    Irving
    Hairston
    Thornton
    Kelly
    Curry

These are the only confirmed players for that year. Even if we get Barnes that's still only 10. As of now, our main targets for that year are:

Rivers
    Miller
    MP3

If we get all 3, that would give us 13 IF we get Barnes and all the above players are still on the team.
    Don't forget Beal..