Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dukies in the NBA Summer League Thread

Thought it might be worth starting a thread for this.

Box Scores for the Orlando Summer League are here:

Article from ESPN on folks to watch, here

McBob, playing in his 3rd summer league, had 4 pts on 2 of 4 shooting, 0 of 2 from 3 (he couldnt make them in college, now he's jacking them 4 feet further?) to go along with 6 boards, 4 dimes, 3 steals, and 2 blocks...kind of a typical mcBober...does a lot of things, but just isn't a great scorer. But at 6'10 240 with good athleticism, good ball skills and a good bball IQ, you've got to imagine he's gonna keep getting a shot and will hopefully figure it out.

Hansbrough outplayed his counterpart from the '05 recruiting class (they are on the same team now) scoring 17 on 6 of 13 from the field and 5 of 8 from the line...I'll pass on the "he will/won't get those calls in the NBA" commentary for now...one summer league game doesnt say much. Russel Westbrook shot 18 of them in another game, and IIRC someone had 11 fouls last year b/c you can't foul out.

Also noticed that Jimmy Baron is playing for the Jazz. I assume the same one who went off in Cameron for URI.

The Vegas summer league tips off on the 10th. Link here

According to this link, Gerald will be playing with the TWolves Team in the Vegas league. Never heard of teams combining players, but as you can see from the orlando league, the Sixers and Nets actually combined teams and names...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    McBob, playing in his 3rd summer league, had 4 pts on 2 of 4 shooting, 0 of 2 from 3 (he couldnt make them in college, now he's jacking them 4 feet further?)
    The coaches could tie bricks to his arms and make him wear boxing gloves, and he'd still take them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

... the Sixers and Nets actually combined teams and names...
    The Nixers?

The Sets?

I prefer the Sexers. Maybe they could reincarnate Wilt.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The Nixers?

The Sets?

I prefer the Sexers. Maybe they could reincarnate Wilt.
    HAHAHA!!! They wouldn't always win but they would always score big.

McBob had 10 pts on 3/3 from the field (no 3s) and 4/4 from the line, but only played 10mins.

Hansbro continues to play well scoring 23 pts, with 9 of 10 from the line

Hansbro continues to play well scoring 23 pts, with 9 of 10 from the line
    Wow... still picking up fouls in the paint?

I see former UNCG standout Kyle Hines made the OKC roster. Good for him. I hope he gets a shot in the pros somewhere. Not too many Spartans playing pro ball anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Wow... still picking up fouls in the paint?
    Pssst....over here....keep this to yourself...but, he really does get fouled a lot.

Edit: TH hit two NBA 3s- Link to game recap.
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 07-08-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Pssst....over here....keep this to yourself...but, he really does get fouled a lot.

Edit: TH hit two NBA 3s- Link to game recap.
    Not that I'm pulling for him, put I'm on record as saying that I think TH will do a lot better than most people seemed to think he would in the pros. He has a jumper, but didn't get to showcase it that much playing Center. I think he can quickly get to an Al Horford type level putting up 9/9 each night.

Not that I'm pulling for him, put I'm on record as saying that I think TH will do a lot better than most people seemed to think he would in the pros. He has a jumper, but didn't get to showcase it that much playing Center. I think he can quickly get to an Al Horford type level putting up 9/9 each night.
    I think the 9 rebounds may be tough, as Hansbrough wasn't actually that great a rebounder in college. But I do think he'll be at least a decent offensive player in the pros.

"McBob, playing in his 3rd summer league, had 4 pts on 2 of 4 shooting, 0 of 2 from 3 (he couldnt make them in college, now he's jacking them 4 feet further?)

The coaches could tie bricks to his arms and make him wear boxing gloves, and he'd still take them. "

Indeed, he couldn't make them in college; 10-36. On the other hand, 36 threes in 69 games doesn't exactly scream indiscriminate shooter.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Indeed, he couldn't make them in college; 10-36. On the other hand, 36 threes in 69 games doesn't exactly scream indiscriminate shooter.
    He wasn't in most of the games long enough to try.
    I did notice that his minutes went up a lot towards the end of the season, and the Pacers seem to want to hang on to him. I hope he makes the most of his opportunity.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I read McRoberts only played 10 minutes last game because he hurt his ankle and left the gym on crutches. Hope for him that it is just an ankle turn.

Those are college stats.

He's 0-11 on 3s in 308 NBA minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblue1206 View Post
    I read McRoberts only played 10 minutes last game because he hurt his ankle and left the gym on crutches. Hope for him that it is just an ankle turn.
    Ya know i was wondering about that since he started and only played 10mins. But the recap of the game didn't mention him being injured. Hope he's alright.

Smile

I think you are right, although I think he really might turn out to be more of a 13 to 15 point a night guy and a bit less of a rebounder.

Check out this link, for all the doubters out there. I would love to watch this guy prove everyone wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4312575

Summer League

Who cares, it's summer league. The overall talent is marginal and nobody outside of the longshot players are really trying that hard. I prefer to remember watching Hans struggle his senior year against the physical/athletic type defenders he will see in the NBA.

Don't get me wrong, Hans is better than people want to give him credit for, but I wouldn't use summer league as an indicator...he's playing against guys like James Augustine and Nick Fazekas...

If Roy Hibbert, the ultimate big man scrub in the NBA, can put up 24 and 8, I'm not too worried.

A little early to designate Hibbert the ultimate scrub, don't you think?

Gerald played his first Summer League game on Sunday and had 0 points in 18 minutes on 0-3 shooting. He had 2 reb, 2 steals, 2 fouls, and 1 assist. He's playing "on loan" for Minnesota, so it's kind of a strange situation.

Gerald didn't play today in the Summer League game for Minnesota. I don't know if there was a reason (injury?). His friend Wayne Ellington had 22 points.